Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia Surgery Complications Etc

My husband had a hernia fixed. The operation went smoothly (we thought) and had no complications, but we recently found out he now has antibodies on his sperm and is infertile....the doctor at the clinic said this was most likely caused by the hernia surgery as he's had no other accidents or issues. Is this a reasonable risk for hernia patients? The doctor seemed surprised and kept asking if the surgery was done in a "real hospital", which tells me he thinks the surgeon messed up. I thought this was pretty straightforward, routine surgery...my husband does not remember being told of possible infertility as a result. We are devastated...is this something we should have been told, or what? Just trying to make sense of it all.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sperber
|

replied April 21st, 2009
herniasurgerycomplication
in dept surgery. upper part of surgery healing nicely but the bottom half is bleeding alot each day. he has small blisters on the incesion.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
what color is gangarene?
|

replied July 19th, 2012
My friend of over 70 yrs of age, had an hernia operation about 3 months ago. he is also diabetic. After operation that long ago, it still hurts. Wearing a pair of trousers still hurt and he had to go round with a wrap round cloth. Could it be any thing else? Of course he did not want to review any other things except that the doctor says that it is like that when he was question by all parties concern. Could it be VD (becos he was also womanising) or cancer of the genital that gives him this pain. He has aged tremendously these couple of months.

Thanks and appreciate a non commital opinion.
|

replied July 19th, 2012
I CANNOT SEE THE REPLY AT ALL
|

replied July 19th, 2012
My friend of over 70 yrs of age, had an hernia operation about 3 months ago. he is also diabetic. After operation that long ago, it still hurts. Wearing a pair of trousers still hurt and he had to go round with a wrap round cloth. Could it be any thing else? Of course he did not want to review any other things except that the doctor says that it is like that when he was question by all parties concern. Could it be VD (becos he was also womanising) or cancer of the genital that gives him this pain. He has aged tremendously these couple of months.

Thanks and appreciate a non commital opinion.
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi feiloh and welcome to ehealth: Aging quickly can be a sign of a problem.....STD's can be gotten at any age...In fact this is and has become a big problem with the older age population...Some of us think once we have passed a certain age that we are immune to anything...This is not true...If you can have your friend talk to his doctor about this and if he won't to check STD's under google...There he will also find some information and pictures that deplict this problem...Good luck and I wish you well...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2012
Community Volunteer
I want to add this...Hernia surgery is painful and it does take a while to recover from this...However, after three month he should be showing signs of improving...If this continues to bother him, have him see his physician about this problem...Tell him to take precautions when having sex...Condoms are the only way to go until both partners have been checked by a doctor for STD's....Take care...

Caroline
|