Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia Suport Belts

I had a hernia repair i two weeks ago. Non laparscopic one. I'm feeling ok but I wanted to ask a question about hernia suport belts. I've read somewhere that they are recommended after surgery especially when lifting weight or doing sports. Can someone tell me is this true? my doctor didn't explain anything to me, so I'm on my own. Any replay I'll appreciate a lot. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2007
Re: Hernia Suport Belts
ristotraktoristo wrote:
I had a hernia repair i two weeks ago. Non laparscopic one. I'm feeling ok but I wanted to ask a question about hernia suport belts. I've read somewhere that they are recommended after surgery especially when lifting weight or doing sports. Can someone tell me is this true? my doctor didn't explain anything to me, so I'm on my own. Any replay I'll appreciate a lot. Thanks

Yes a jockstrap is recommended after surgery. But you shouldn't be doing any heavy lifting at all. The strain of lifting heavy objects will cause you to reinjure yourself (the hernia will comeback).
|

replied July 24th, 2007
You should really not do any heavy lifting until six weeks after your surgery, and should only do light exercises beginning three or four weeks after surgery, with the proper stuff again only after six weeks, belt or no belt.

I would not recommend wearing a hernia belt anyway, you want the muscles to strengthen and the belt may just prevent that and it may take a lot longer for the area to get strong again.

Hope all goes well for you.
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
What do you think of this flat pad hernia support?
http://www.groin-hernia.com/hernia-support .html
|

replied March 7th, 2009
Weight Lifting for Beginners
Weight Lifting for Beginners routines, and you will see how great and easy it can all be. It is very important in a weight lifting for beginners routine that for the first 6 weeks you commit to not skipping any exercise, especially since it would be nearly impossible to achieve results or to get used to the routine if you do not, so do your best work during this starting point of your routine, it is very important and even crucial, and if you are serious about training and workout, then you are going to be getting lots of incredible building up.
|