Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Large Sessile Polyp Ascending Colon (Page 1)

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
Do all colon cancers start as polyps? I just had a large sessile polyp removed from my right colon. I am a 41 year old female. I was discharged with directions that all first degree family members age 40 or over should be screened for colon cancer. I am waiting for the biopsy results. Also, aren't I a little young to have a large colon polyp? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper catgb
|

replied April 4th, 2009
Ascending Colon
I just read that 100% of the time polyps cannot be detected in the ascending (right) colon. Is this true? If so, why not? Thanks.
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Not true
Mine was found. Had a really good colonoscopy doc. It was hiding under a fold.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Virtual Colonoscopy sees in those corners
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Colon Polyps
You are never too young for colon polyps. I am 28 years old and last year was diagnosed with Pre cancerous polyps. Very scary. After having this it makes me feel like people should be going to get colonoscopies younger than 50. If I did not have my colonoscopy, I would have had cancer in a few years.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
Well I am 24 years old and had a colonoscopy yesterday.. I had it done because my body isnt absorbing IRON and Vitamin B, so the physician recommended he do a colonoscopy and gastroscopy to see if he could find anything and lucky he did as he found 2 large polyps.... and I have no family history of bowel cancer, so I dont understand where it has come from. I am currently waiting for the results from pathology. Very Scared as I dont know what to expect. Sad
|

replied May 12th, 2010
i am 44 years aold, and my head is reeling, less than 48 hours ago i under went a colonoscpy as well as a gastroscopy, they took 4 biopsies from my stomach and 6 from my colon also...... they also removed a 6mm sessile polyp...... this was being done before gallbladder surgery, but god in heaven i am so scared, i have a 2 week wait to hear results....... do i have colon cancer..... no history of this type of cancer in my family, plenty of other,stomach/wind pipe/oral/lung..... i go back in two weeks, with dread in my heart...
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Hi Tigeress87,

The polyps they found in me were quite large one was a 10mm sessile polyp and they were fine. I mean if they were sitting there for another couple of years they would have started to change but early detection is prevention. I know your 44years old and I am 24 but this doesnt matter as if you had something seriously wrong with you ( cancer) especially in the colon, you would have had plenty of warning signs ( blood in stools) and lots of it. I know its scary and you have every right to be worried but you need to keep positive... and if you happen to get the bad news, at least you then get to deal with it and treat it. Im no doctor but I know my physician said to me that usually cancerous polyps reach a size of 10mm or more.... judging on the size of your polyp, they would have caught it in time before any cell change. Let me know how you go..... good luck!!!! Smile
|

replied May 13th, 2010
i have been ill for quite sometime, blood in my stools being one of them amongst quite a few others!! it is the first time anyuone has actually bothered to look any further than a camera down my throat 2 years ago........ i just hope they have, my dad died 5 years ago of camncer staomach etc, and my mother has had oral cancer for 3 years.... there isn't much in this life that scars me, but that word puts the fear of god in me as both sides of my family have died of the c
|

replied September 25th, 2010
Too Radical of Treatment?
A 5CM mass was found in my ascending colon, the biopsies came back clear but my gastro doctor wants to remove the ascending colon all the way to the sigmoid colon. Both of my parents have had benign polyps but no cancer.....this approach seems very aggressive....thoughts?
|

replied September 11th, 2012
Ummmm yeah!! get a second opinion and fast or you will end up with a colostomy bag!! why on earth would a Physician want to remove your ENTIRE colon for a 5mm mass in your Acending colon??? Why would he just not remove the mass plus addional tissue to be sure the margins are clear then reconnect?? Granted you will have a short Acending colon, but at least you will HAVE a colon!! Seriously .. I hope that you have gotten a second opinion before you let that surgeon go anywhere near you!
|

replied November 21st, 2010
colon polyps
Had 4 polyps in colon and only 43, this is scary. Doctor said they looked okay but I will get the biopsies back in two weeks. Can the doctors usually tell if a polyps is cancer or not.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Tigeress87

I am curious to know how things turned out for you. Hope everything is okay
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
hi my son now 7 years old had a large bowel polyp removed when he was 4 years old after 3 years of constant blood in his stools he had cameras in him a few times then the last time they went in with camera they used a new one that was one inch longer than previous cameras and they found it and removed it then it was the two week wait for the results which was all clear they said they can return but unlikly cause he young.and discharged him with no follow up appointments. he has had no probs for nearly 3 years till recently he complaining of tummy ache and started having mucus and blood in poo again there is no family history of bowel polyps. we went doctors today and have handed in a poo sample doctor thinks he might have to be refered again. i know it sounds disgusting but i took photos of his bloody poo to show doctors before and thats when they took it more seriously. has any one had any return how did it go i am worried sick for my little boy
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Hope everything turned out well for your son. I'm posting late bout wondering what was causing blood in the stools of such a young child. No matter what a doctor told you.....it is not the norm. Hope all is well.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
I am 28 years old, over the past 6 years I have learned polyps dont care how old you are, if they are going to grow they will. When I was 22 I had over 20 removed. On thursday I went for another colonoscopy and had an 8mm sessile in the cecum, 5mm sessile in the ascending, 6mm sessile in the transverse, 10-20 3-5mm sessile polyps in the sigmoid. 1.2cm & 1cm tubular polys in the sigmoid and 5-10 3-4mm sesssile polyps in the rectosigmoid colon. So age does not really matter. I do have a history of young colon cancer in my family though, and trust me I am freaking out about my biopsy results, hope they get back soon.
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Waiting on Biopsies
To: itsjustme83
I like that you understand Polyps aren't prejudiced-they affect young, old any race, socio-economic status, and even people who are otherwise fit and healthy.
It's too bad that you have to deal with all these things at such a young
age, but it sounds like you've been a responsible patient with your follow-up care. We just never know ultimately how or when we will die, when I first heard about my 10mm seissel polyp in rectum and 5mm in sigmoid, my Heart sank. I'm 44years old and do fit many risk factors. Just had the colonoscopy on Friday, and it could be ten days out on pathology! What is a person to do with herself for ten days? Keep on living!! Ultimately, I can control the attitude that I have each of those ten days. To be sure, I'm just gonna take it one day at a time! Today, I found myself googling colon/rectal information less- it's not going to change the outcome of my results! A little healthy worry will remind me to do all the things I can do for myself in the next ten days. Get enough sleep, fluids, high fiber diet/low in fat, stay away from cigarettes and alcohol. Develop questions I may have for Doctor with that healthy worry, so that when biopsy comes back, either way I am prepared. It's only been two days on me doing this, and I'm noticing improvement-I don't feel so restless and discontent. Maybe you could try scheduling your free time to test drive how I've been living while waiting. Remember, the results are coming how are we going to meet and greet each one of those days in the meanwhile. WE ALL HAVE TODAY, YESTERDAY IS GONE, TOMORROW HASN'T COME.
LIVING IN THE NOW -FOR MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT : )
Best of luck to you I know you'll do fine regardless of the results if you can keep focused on the NOW! Talking to family and friends really helps ,,,,,,
Take Care,
Hah2mrsdjc
|

replied April 18th, 2012
colon polyps
Hah2mrsdjc you really helped me right now! I had a colonoscopy 2 days ag and they found 3 polyps one of the flat and big the doctor seemed very concerned about saying that she was almost sure it was cancer...I am freaking out !!! I am only 37 with two wonderful kids and all I keep thinking is that I have cancer and I am going to die soon...how can be.... the results taking so long !!!
But Thank you for your post today is today right ?
Hope you are well !!!
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Crisq,
Hang in there! I had a small and large polyp removed Friday, male 42, 2 beautiful daughters 3 and 8. I rely on prayer to get through, if you have never called out to see if God is real, it's never too late. If so, fall back on your faith.

Look at it is way, the polyp removal may have just saved your life, as these cancers grow over time. Colon cancer can be prevented or cured with early removal, regardless of polyp size or type.
|

replied June 5th, 2012
Polyp in the ascending colon
The main thing is that these polyps have been discovered and action is being taken. My mother was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 1998 and is now approaching her 80th birthday so it is treatable and survivable. I have just had a colonoscopy and a 5mm polyp has been found, I now have a 2 week wait for the pathology results and as the doctor who performed the colonoscopy wasn't confident of his ability to remove the polyp I have to return in 4 weeks for a more senior consultant to carry out the procedure.
|

replied June 5th, 2012
Polyp in the ascending colon
The main thing is that these polyps have been discovered and action is being taken. My mother was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 1998 and is now approaching her 80th birthday so it is treatable and survivable. I have just had a colonoscopy and a 5mm polyp has been found, I now have a 2 week wait for the pathology results and as the doctor who performed the colonoscopy wasn't confident of his ability to remove the polyp I have to return in 4 weeks for a more senior consultant to carry out the procedure.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
Polyps removed today
I just had a 10mm, a 4mm and a 5mm removed today. Doc said it didnt look like cancer but I figure he tells everyone that. It is going to be a long two weeks.
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
This given information about colon cancer is very informative by which people can get treatment and symptom information in detail. Envita Medical gives perfect solution for any kind of cancer.
|

replied June 16th, 2013
Precancerous polyps
I think the consultants do know by sight ... From experience. First time around , 4 years ago, consultant found 2 and said concerned about one, could be precancerous, and other looked ok. Histology proved him right. Had another colonoscopy yesterday, 3 year check, no symptoms, and found another polyp. This consultant hasn't said much, other than very small 3mm. And so I wait. I tend to look on the bright side and say at least it's out....
|
12 >>