Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Effects of Nuvaring After Stopping (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I have been on Nuva for a while around 6 months. Then I had to stop because it got way to expensive for me to pay it over summer so I stopped in May. Does anyone know how long the hormones from it can mess you up. I expected to be messed up my first period after stopping but i still seem off in my cycle.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
It can take several months for your cycle to regulate. If you don't get your period in 3-4 months, go talk to your gyno. It's not serious, but they can help get your period back on track and maybe supply some cheaper birth control.
|

replied March 31st, 2010
nuvaring
I have been on Nuvaring for 2 1/2 years and just started getting side effects so I had to get off of it. I am now cramping in my lower female area and was just wondering if this could be from stoping the Nuvaring. This will be my first month off of it.
|

replied April 1st, 2010
After Nuvaring
I was using Nuvaring for about 18 months before I decided to stop because we wanted to start trying for another baby. About 2 weeks before my expected period I experienced some cramping and spotting. I wasn''t totally convinced but in the back of my head I thought I was pregnant. About one week before my expected period I started spotting again, I thought for sure now I was pregnant!! And then 3 days before my ex period I got extremely bad cramps, and my period started. Not a regular period though, it was very very heavy. And there was alot of clotting too! It was not very pleasent. Did all this happen because I had just stopped Nuvaring, or did I have a miscarriage? Please help
|

replied September 29th, 2010
How long till everything goes back to normal after nuvaring?
I feel like Im loosing my mind! I've been on the nuvaring for about 5 years with no side effets until 2 months ago. My body took on the pregant form and my face and most of my body is swollen and itchy, my hair also started thinning. I took it out one week ago in mid cycle b/c I couldnt take it anymore. I had blood work done and everything was normal. Im convinced its the ring after reading everyone's posts. Im soo frusterated b/c I still look pregnant and now Im more emotional and depressed than ever!! How long till I get my body back? My clothes dont fit b/c everything is puffy. Im going to loose it VERY soon!! Someone please help!! Has this happend to anyone else?
|

replied September 28th, 2011
NuvaRing
Hi Lorafray - did things get back to normal for you? I am in a similar situation as you - been on NuvaRing for 5 years and just got off. My hair is definitely thinning, but I thought it might be from going OFF the ring. I'm just not sure what is what anymore. I don't feel myself anymore.

hope you are better
|

replied September 28th, 2011
NuvaRing
Hi Lorafray - did things get back to normal for you? I am in a similar situation as you - been on NuvaRing for 5 years and just got off. My hair is definitely thinning, but I thought it might be from going OFF the ring. I'm just not sure what is what anymore. I don't feel myself anymore.

hope you are better
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
I have been on nuva ring for about 4 yrs now and I'm thinking about switching my B.C.
I'm still on it now but I have notice too, that when I take out my ring to get my period my body becomes more blotted ( like I'm PG). N now reading the last few blogs I believe it's from the ring as well. Along with that side effect, lately my boyfriend has been acting funny (like a girl) I notice he's having mood swings and get's crabby once a month. Weird but we were thinking maybe with the hormones that are being release from the ring are affecting him? Do you think that's prossible? I feel bad, but it's funny because he's sold that nuva ring is affecting him too. Lol is anyone's partner experiencing the same problem. What should I do, I have to kids already and I'm still young, I don't want anymore! I NEED to be protected help.!
|

replied September 6th, 2012
Stopped taking NuvaRing after being on it for 8 years
I just recently got off the nuva ring in May, i was on it for 8 years. I decided that 8 years on b.c. is way too long, esp with me only being 23. Since i have go off it i havent been feeling that great. I had my period in May... didnt have one in June... had one in mid July... never had one in August... now its September and still no period. I feel crampy every day, like i am about to start but i dont. Headaches, so tired all the time, low energy, ive lost some weigh... but whats going on with my periods and the constant feeling of starting lower and frontal pain, discomfort. Ive taken 5 hpt and they are all negative... should i go to the doctors
|

replied December 7th, 2012
definitely!
|

replied December 7th, 2012
I really should make a doctor's appointment, but....
Ok, I've probably need on birth control for at least 15 years, on and off. I've been an avid user of NuvaRing for most of those years. I recently stopped using it, had my normal cycle in November. Now I'm late. Is that normal?

Only reason I stopped using NuvaRing, besides the cost, is that I'm now 30 and I suddenly started having severe mood swings that were literally scaring me when I was ON NuvaRing as well as severe cystic like acne breakouts. Now that I am off, I haven't had any of the severe mood swings and my skin cleared up tremendously.

Anyone know how fast your body actually bounces back after stopping NuvaRing? Doctor's always say if you stop, you can get pregnant... and yes, my fiance and I have been sexually active since I've been off... trying to weigh out the possibility that I could be pregnant verses my body is just out of whack...
|

replied March 1st, 2013
Stopping Nuvaring and Adrenal Fatigue
It is nice to know I am not alone. I just got off Nuvaring almost two months ago after being on hormonal birth control for over 10 years, the ring for most of that period. For the first month off the ring I felt okay. I had tender breasts, and my period was 10 days late, but overall not too bad. Then all of a sudden I started feeling extremely shitty. I started getting heart palapations constantly, I felt like I was having asthma attacks, I would get adrenaline surges in the night, and I just generally feel unwell most of the time. I have seen my doctor and have been doing some tests, but I have not been diagnosed yet. However, I have done a lot of research online, and I am starting to believe I have adrenal fatigue. One of the causes of adrenal fatigue is changes to estrogen levels. I am wondering if going off the nuvaring has caused my adrenal functions to go crazy and make me feel so bad. Has anyone else experienced this? Will I start to feel better once my hormones go back to normal after getting off the ring? I never anticipated the side-effects of going off birth control. This is crazy.
|

replied March 2nd, 2013
I just wanted to reply back to this thread... I posted back on 12/7. Needless to say, I got off Nuvaring on like 10-30, had a normal cycle in November, and, tada, got pregnant IMMEDIATELY! I thought, as I've read and as I've heard from doctors, being on a hormonal birth control, your body needs time to "bounce" back.. yeah, not really. Once you have your menstrual cycle, you ovulate 1.5-2 weeks later. I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant.
|

replied March 20th, 2013
Nuvaring
I stopped nuvaring the my last cycle which was 17 feb got my period the 20 and still no cycle this month is that normal? I took hcg test all negative but I feel pregnant just curious who else this happened too.
|

replied May 21st, 2013
Nuvaring
I was on Nuvaring for 5 years, took it out in March 2013, Iv had my period lasting 2-3 weeks at a time, pain during sex, some mood swings, headaches, depression. I was hopin to get pregnant so i could feel better then i do. I just cant stop menstrating for a day to have sex.
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Yikes. Sorry to hear that Steph. I had been on the Nuvaring for 1 1/2 years, but like 9 years of the pill before that. I never put a nuvaring back in after my last period, 3 1/2 weeks ago. One week later, my nipples became very very tender, sharp pain off/on in my pelvic region that didn't last very long, 3 waves within probably 10 minutes. Now, I have had tender breasts and some spotting only once so far...I am expecting my period towards the end of this week. Damn, these symptoms relate to a start of a pregnancy, gosh..I sure hope I am not..not ready :s
|

replied July 15th, 2013
avoid the nuva ring and paragard!
I was on nuva ring for over a year. I gained 20+ lbs, it changed my body, my mood, made me depressed, so tired where my body would literally shut down and I would sleep the day away. I feel I've become lazy and extremely irritable! I lost more hair than ever before!! I still feel pregnant after being off almost 2 months. I do have to say my first period came a month after coming off, than 2 weeks later I had my period again!? I am just hoping I get my period again. This was my alternative to paragard which DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT ever get. I never got one cramp until I had my two children and then slightly got a few here or there and then had that placed in and I got cramps almost every other day to daily! Avoid at all cost! Also in my opinion avoid the nuva ring as well!
|

replied July 16th, 2013
Wow, sorry to hear that @nicolicious681, I never had those symptoms on nuvaring, actually I didn't have symptoms during nuvaring, only after I quit using it. I hope you are feeling better and snapping back to normal Smile
|

replied July 20th, 2013
I've been on birth control since about 2003 and on nuvaring for about 4 years. I finished my period Thursday and didn't put the ring back in. Had the WORST REACTION, hot all the time, felt sick, spotty, thought I was going crazy. I found I had one ring left and put back in today. Is this normal for it to affect me that much?
|

replied July 20th, 2013
I finished my period Thursday and didn't put the ring back in. Had the WORST REACTION, hot all the time, felt sick, spotty, thought I was going crazy. I found I had one ring left and put back in . Is this normal for it to affect me that much?
|

replied August 4th, 2013
I got the nuvaring 2 months ago as a replacement bc from the mirena iud! At this point, I don't think I can win. Hubby and I have an 18mo old son and don't want to get pregnant right now, but the nuvaring is driving me crazy. I am moody all the time, depressed, headaches, vaginal irritation, very exhausted no matter how much sleep I get, intolerant to alcohol, and my sex drive is non-existent!!! I just took it out mid-cycle and already feel blood flowing a little more normally. I am just going to use condoms and pray that we don't get pregnant because I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!! Don't use the nuvaring or the mirena iud...
|
12 >>