Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Weird "walnut Sized" Shoulder Pain

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
About a month ago, I was adjusting myself in the bed and did something to my shoulder.

I'm 36, male, 6' 0", 255 lbs. I feel healthy in the muscular/bone sense of things.

How to describe the pain that lingers? It's **sort of** like when you were a kid and threw a baseball too hard, too many times. And then you're left with a really annoying pain in your shoulder for some days.

It's that sort of pain ... deep, inner pain ... but different in that the "pain area" feels like the size of about a walnut. That pain area is thus quite small, but it's "deep" inside the shoulder.

It hurts most in the mornings when I wake, when certain motions are really annoyingly painful. To imagine the movement which causes the most pain at that time, imagine someone "acting like a chicken" and they fold their elbow in and flap. The up motion of that flap is very prohibitively painful in the mornings.

If I had to (poorly) describe the location of my "walnut-sized pain" I would put it at the Tores Minor Tendon [removed]
I appreciate anyone's advice or experience about what the problem might be and anything I can do about it. Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
What motion were you creating during the initial "adjustment"?
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
I really don't remember -- it was rather innocuous.
I think that I was trying to get up out of bed, and trying to do so without crushing a 15-lb. whippet perched to my side. (My side of the bed is up against a wall, so that I must scoot down and out the end of the bed instead of rising to the side.)
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I see. Your description makes it easier to visualize the motion.

I'm looking in my anatomy book, and noticing that the shoulder joint is the most flexible...and the most prone to damage. It sounds like the pain your experiencing while trying to "Chicken Dance" can be described as "medial abduction of the shoulders" (I'm pretty sure).

You could be correct about the tendons being bent out of shape...but to be sure, you've got to request an MRI. I remember having one to diagnose a tear in a knee ligament. I'd suggest you schedule a trip to an orthopedist's office...you've been in pain for long enough, haven't you?
|
Quick Reply