Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Ultrasound "can't" Find One Ovary...help!!! (Page 1)

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
my daughter is in her mid thirties...known "cysts" on ovary...had vaginal ultrasound...found one ovary...said it was "covered" with endometriosis...but could not even find other ovary....dr.says take out the "covered" ovary...and ..probably the other one "if" it can be found...she is having an MRI next week to really look for the missing ovary...she had an ablaltion of the uterus about four years ago...
what are the odds of this being Cancer...the dr. said the covered ovary needs to be taken out very carefully and whole...given the condition of the covered ovary...should if it is located...have the other ovary out..and what about just going ahead and taking out the ablated uterus which is now useless....we really need help...
She has major medical issues also and being put "under a general" is of concern to us.....could she have a "spinal" and have this surgery done?
Which would be worse for her "breathing"...general or spinal...
Help us please....the Cancer is of great importance to us....is there no other way to diagnois Cancer....
Anyone heard of the "covered" ovary...or "missing ovary"??? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper morningside
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
She certainly isn't the typical age a woman is when she develops ovarian cancer. Does she have any relatives that had it?
|

replied July 6th, 2007
Relatives
Jude-Love wrote:
She certainly isn't the typical age a woman is when she develops ovarian cancer. Does she have any relatives that had it?

We do not have relatives with Ovarian Cancer..but I have read Colon Cancer can be "related" to and has some baring on the Ovaries...Colon Cancer is very very common in my family...Grandmother and cousin i his forties and all Aunts and myself have test yearly and have polups(my spelling is awful) are removed each time.
The MRI should show more we hope...her CA125 was in the 40's ..high normal range...and that too is going to be repeated early next week...we have seen two doctors to date...one wants to take out both ovaries and the other says probably only the one covered...and leave the other one...if it can be found...and while in there take the uterus...
I dread her going on HRT so young but it may end up being the only choice.
Like I said..we are so confused and just don't know anything....
It sounds reasonable that the covered ovary is removed...
She sees another dr. next week for his opinion....and then the hard part will be "who" will do the surgery.....
We are going NUTS about this...
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2007
Community Volunteer
for 2 years I was told "we can't find your othe ovary".
but I changed hospitals and well there it is. apparently it is quite common for supposed professionals to "miss" an ovary here or there Confused

Now, as your (daughters) doctor has said that the condition is endometriosis that is the most likely explanation.
my advice would be to not worry about cancer when the diagnosis has already being made as something else.

Endo is quite distinctive.
|

replied July 10th, 2007
Thanks
Kia wrote:
for 2 years I was told "we can't find your othe ovary".
but I changed hospitals and well there it is. apparently it is quite common for supposed professionals to "miss" an ovary here or there Confused

Now, as your (daughters) doctor has said that the condition is endometriosis that is the most likely explanation.
my advice would be to not worry about cancer when the diagnosis has already being made as something else.

Endo is quite distinctive.

That is exactly why she is seeking out several drs. and trying to learn from all of them....she did have the MRI yesterday....we should get the results soon....the "one" issues that concerned her was she has lost well over 50 lbs in the last year without trying ...and that did concern the first doctor.
Again, thanks for the help and we sure do hope the news is good.. Very Happy
|

replied August 22nd, 2008
ovary
Kia, how was your 2nd ovary "discovered?" My daughter has just had a pelvic sonogram and they couldn't find her left ovary. Thx.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Left Ovary - Missing.
I had a similar experience and was told they couldn't find my left ovary. During my endometriosis surgery the doctor found that my colon had actually "fallen" and was laying over my left ovary which was the root of much of my pain and why they couldn't see it during ultrasounds.
|

replied August 17th, 2010
missing ovary what is the link?
Okay...touchy subject...left ovary is missing...I have the same problem, went online to check it out, behold so many women with the same issue. Question, how many of you have had a tubal litiagation, or have had an abortion????
|

replied April 6th, 2011
I had a tubal litigation after my last child. Had an abortion when in high school....over 30 years ago. Got a period after not having one for a year. Doctor ordered a complete pelvic ultrasound. Clear cyst on right overy but could not locate left. Going in for a d and c later this month.
|

replied January 27th, 2012
WHY CANT THEY FIND MY OVARYS?
HAD A TUBL LIGATION AFTER MY LAST CHILD WAS BORN AND NOW 8 YRS LATTER I AM HAVING PAIN. HAD AN ULTRA SOUND DONE AND THEY CANT FIND MY OVARYS
|

replied January 27th, 2012
WHY CANT THEY FIND MY OVARYS?
HAD A TUBL LIGATION AFTER MY LAST CHILD WAS BORN AND NOW 8 YRS LATTER I AM HAVING PAIN. HAD AN ULTRA SOUND DONE AND THEY CANT FIND MY OVARYS..
|

replied August 18th, 2010
my ovaries are missing too
I have had the same discovery - neither left or right ovary can be found. My doctor told me that if I wasn't complaining about it, no need to bother find it. DUH! That's why I was at the doctor, because of PAIN! Doctors today... are they serious? She didn't want to go and find out but she was quick to want to give me some pills. JEEZ!
|

replied December 23rd, 2010
Ultrasound can't find left ovary, heavy periods, HELP!
To ihaveone- Why are you asking about tubal or abortion? Curious because I went to the OB yesterday for pelvic pain/heavy periods and severe weight loss without trying. I had a pelvic ultrasound and they could not see my left ovary! Completely freaking me out. Please respond anyone.
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Hidden Ovary
I just got back from the doctors. They had a VERY hard time finding my right over and finally caught a small glimpse of it. The tech said that sometimes the bowel can encompass the ovary (which is nothing to worry about). Sometimes they can't find the ovary due to endometriosis. Which, the doc thinks that's my issue. I'm scheduled for a laproscopy in order to know for sure.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
I have had an ultra sound scan they could not locate my left ovary, I asked the lady if she could see any cysts in my right ovary and she said no. when I had the internal scan I asked her if everything was ok with my uterus and she kinda distracted herself form the answer saying she needed to do measurements and concentrate and will need to talk to the doctor, i then went on to say but everything is ok with the right ovary she said "yes no problems with the right ovary" worried because she would tell me the right ovary is ok but would not say anything about the uterous. never even got the normal speal ie "everythings fine nothing to worry about will send your report to doc" etc etc i have been experiencing alot of abdo pain (along my bikini line and to the left of my belly button) for months my periods are so so so heavy (it impeads on my life/work etc) in the last month I have gained a stone in weight (even with joining a gyn and going 3 times a week) I experience dizzyness and severe headaches.I am really worried any advice folks? in answer to someone else question I to had an abortion when I was 24 I am 37 now.
|

replied August 9th, 2011
I too have a missing left ovary after having a ultrasound last week also internal ultrasound. I had a radical hysterectomy March 2010 for cervical cancer. I get hot sweats pains mainly from waste down. But can be all over I have had full body swelling and lost weight fast over a short time. I feel stressed with it all Not sure if I'm going threw change after my op. I was told after trauma ops like mine ovarys can die off or shrink. Waiting results then off for a MRI scan I think. I have some sympoms of ovarian cancer as only my ovarys was left for op. I'm worried and unsure what will happen till scan results any day now. I am 35
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi bowes0 and welcome to ehealth: Hopefully all is well...It is possible that you could be going through your change with only having the right ovary...If this remaining ovary has perhaps died off or shrunk, this could be causing the pain as well as the problem...

Please keep us advised and hopefully all is well...I send you my best wishes...Take care...

Caroline
|
Users who thank CarolineEF for this post: bowes0 

replied August 22nd, 2011
hi, i'm 16 and today i had an ultrasound (including internal) and they couldnt find my left ovary either. i'm worried, so i looked up online and wow, so many people have the same problem.. do you all have the same symptoms? pains in the abdomen, also i was having pains when having sex and the pain is always on the left side. i was wondering if someone could give me some advice and guidance as the doctors haven't said much to me. am i ever going to be able to have children? Sad
|

replied August 25th, 2011
I am waiting for an Mri scan but have been told there is other ways of imaging me? Unsure how because I have had ultra sound. I am still get things wrong, I have just had an hormone test and that came back normal! Still a mystery but I won't give up.
|

replied September 20th, 2011
Appendectomy-twisted off ovary found in pevic area in milkyfluid
My 11 year old daughter just had appedicitis and had her appendix removed. The surgeon told me they found her right ovary missing. When they looked further, they found in her pelvic area in milky film. They sent it to pathology and I am waiting for the results
|

replied October 4th, 2011
I had mild endometriosis on right side and moderate endo on the left side. They found my left ovary attached to the back of my uterine muscle very much surrounded by endo tissue. I had all removed and the ovary kinda flapped back into place. I took a medication to stop my periods for 9 months (doc wanted 12 months). Today I have 2 very happy healthy children. I had a complete hysterectomy at 40 because of heavy bleeding and period every 2 weeks. I had no endometriosis when I had the hysterectomy and appendectomy. I now have migraines because of the hormone imbalance. Taking natural HRT cream helps a lot. Oh, and it has estriol, progesterone, and testosterone according to blood tests.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
uterus and ovaries can't be seen
I had an ultrasound including internal due to pelvic/abdominal pain and they can't see my uterus or my ovaries. I've had ultrasounds before during pregnancy and they were able to see them. Does anyone have any idea's?
|

replied January 17th, 2012
Confused*10
Hello everyone, I have a similiar situation. Sept of 2011 I had a partial hysterectomy due to multiple fibroids and severe pain. My pain has since never gone away. In Dec 2011 I found out that I had a simple cyst on my right ovary and a complex cyst on the left ovary. I have been in severe pain almost everyday since my surgery in Sept with not much relief. back pain,thigh pain, and pelvic pain. Sex makes everything much worse.
My doc put me on progestrone shots and since then because of not much response I had a laproscopic surgery done last week. During the lap I was told he could not remove the cyst or the ovaries because they were not visible although he did remove adhesions. WHAT??? How can this happen?? He had me wide open looking at my insides and he could not find them, how is that possible? Has this ever happened to anyone? I see everyone speaking on ovaries not being found on ultrasounds but what about during surgery? I am extremely confused and very worried. Can anyone help please?
|
12 >>