Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Nerve Damage Result of Back Surgery (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I'm 25 years old and had laminectomy and disc fusion surgery two years ago. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I tried everything before surgery. Epidural's, physical therapy and pain management. It just got worse. Ever since the surgery for the last two years it's been worse than it was before surgery. I have stabbing, electric feeling in my lower back where I had the surgery and down my left leg. Down my left side sometimes to my knee, but not on both sides at the same time. I have been to the ER because I couldn't open my eyes or stop crying from it. I went to see two neurosurgeons and they told me that probably i have nerve damage. Have someone had the same experience? please help !!! i need some advice !!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Thistle127
|

replied August 9th, 2009
nerve damage
I feel your pain. I've have had two back surgeries. L3-S1. Then cervical c5/6 6/7. Iam have the same problem ur having except opposite side. I have injections for the problem. My back hurts across lower back and down right leg. The first injection I had helped. I'am having another one done this tuesday. My doctor also said it was nerve damage. Iam 56 and my problems started at 24 but nothing done till 38.. They inject somewhere at c7 for the nerve damage. The problem with all the steroid injection is the damage to your skin and hair. Your skin becomes thin {Like old people skin}. I started injections at 38 and still having them 3-4 times a year. Not all of them for back mostly for neck and other part. I have severe osteo artritis. Exercise will help I know it hurts but if u build the muscles up it helps. Try the pool for exercise. Less stress on your body...
|

replied August 14th, 2012
back pain
Find NeuroSoma therapist and go for therapy. It best to read Tomas Griner's book "What is really wrong with you" first.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Find NeuroSoma therapist and go for therapy. It best to read Tomas Griner's book "What is really wrong with you" first.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
I completely understand. I had a laminectomy in Sept 2009 and am suffering now with the "weird, undescribeable" feeling going down my right leg. Was told by my neurosurgeon that it was nerve damage-however, he did not tell me if it was from damage that was sustained before or during surgery. IT SUCKS. I am 35 yrs old and thought up until the last few months that my future was going to be a really good one, now I am not so sure. I am just trying to get some answers on what I can do that does not cause more of the "weird" feeling that tends to send all my nerves into a teasy. I am SO afraid of steroid injections since I am already being watched for osteopenia now. WOW, sucks after back surgery huh!!!
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Injections are not a permanent solution. You might look for a Neuro guy that does nerve decompression. You are probably into just temporary reliefs unless somebody will go back in for a look.
Sorry.
|

replied March 14th, 2010
Same problem here (in response to the last post), no solution. My pain and numbness goes all the way down my left leg to my left foot and last two little toes, of which I cannot feel at all. What can we do??? Has anyone considered acupuncture? Neurosurgeon has said he has done everything he can do. I need desperate help. Want to live a normal life.
|

replied March 14th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi
i would look into the spinal cord stimulator. google ''st. jude power over pain'' for general info.
it works for some people.....pete
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2010
back surgery problems
i am 36 yrs old and had to have 3 surgeries in one week due to complications after the first one now i have numbness and pain in my butt and groin area and on the bottom of both feet and the back of my left thigh.it has been almost 6 months since the surgeries and i dont feel like im improving even after all the physical therapy can anyone help me ill try anything!!!!
|

replied May 17th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
i dont know the details of the complications but it may be nerve damage or still pressure on the nerves from problems unsolved. it can take a long time to heal the nerves. in some cases over a year. have you told your surgeon. has he done an mri?
can you give more detail?.....pete
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
I am 50; had back surgery to fuse L4 & L5 and laminectomy last July due to osteo arthritis and bulging disks pressing on sciatic nerve. 10 months later I still have crippling lower back and pelvic pain. It gets swollen and inflammed and even sore to the touch. I feel like I have a metal sheet or brick in my back. I had 8 months of PT and tried every drug for pain and to help me sleep. Nothing helps. I wake every 2-3 hrs. I am exhausted and tired of being in pain constantly. I don't have a normal life anymore. I get through work and come home to lay on the couch for the rest of the night until it's time for bed. I don't do many social things anymore and can't exercise. Now the surgeon says he thinks it's the hardware I'm feeling as I am fully fused and there's no scar tissue. He wants me to have a lidocaine injection at the hardware site to see if it relieves my pain; if so, he wants to do another surgery to remove the hardware. I can't take thinking of it, but I can't take living like this either.

The other problem is the nerve pain down both legs and feet. He doesn't see a reason why-MRI doesn't show anything being pinched, etc. If I'm going to have another surgery, I would like the nerve pain to go away too. Could it be this nerve damage is permanent or could it take 2 years or more to go away? My 75 yr old mother is in better shape than me and I am so depressed. My husband has been a saint and if it weren't for him I don't know what I would do.

Any comments???
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi cindy...sorry to say it but you and i are in the same condition regarding pain. isnt that nerve pain devestating? i have to keep looking for some position that will calm down the pressure on the nerves. for me its laying on the floor.
if you had the nerve pain for a very long time it may have become permanent. ask your dr if a emg test to check nerve condition would throw light on any nerve damage..
i like his idea about trying to numb nerves near hardware. hopefully you will feel relief from injection and that will prove to you that surgery to remove hardware would benefit you.
i would get a second opinion on from another spine surgeon. you want to be sure you are making the right decision....hope the shot proves something.....pete
|

replied May 25th, 2010
I too have had surgery two weeks ago leaving me with nerve damage down the front and back of my leg. i can only pray that the pain will go away in time. my doctor put me on lyrica just to help my feelings but i feel anytime that you have surgery and are cut on there are so many nerves that you are going to have some kind of unfortunate outcome from it. he knew my leg was in severe pain. i can only pray that in time it will go away. the surgery sas done by going in through the front. well my left leg hurt so bad he sent me down to have a cat scan done and he saw a bone fragment causing the pain so he went back in through the back two days later to remove it and it is somewhat better but when standing the pain down the front is bad. if you would like to talk or anything about your situation feel free to write me and maybe we can compare our situations that we may have in common. i wish all the readers to get well and take care and hold your head up there are ones out there alot worse than us.
|

replied December 6th, 2012
At this time I'm having all this lower back pain now that started down the front of my left leg, I had an SI injection done and that did not help. At this time I'm afraid to have surgery done .
|

replied May 25th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi...
no neeed to be pessimistic. sounds like the surgeon is on top of it. you have to expect pain because you just had the surgery. the nerves got beat up and need time to heal. follow the docs orders and think positive.....pete
|

replied May 25th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi...
no neeed to be pessimistic. sounds like the surgeon is on top of it. you have to expect pain because you just had the surgery. the nerves got beat up and need time to heal. follow the docs orders and think positive.....pete
|

replied June 6th, 2010
pain and nerve damage
I have had 6 cervical fusion surgeries. I have nerve damage from the herniated disks. I now have arthitis above my fusion that are causing alot of my pain and symptoms. I go to pain doctor who test with nerve block first then does radiography where they burn the nerve root and helps reduce the pain for 6 to 9 months. It makes it tolerable with pain pills and muscle relaxers. Been 15 years of pain for me so on a good day its a 4 or 5 out of 10 on the pain scale. 8 to 10 on a bad day.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Most important advice I can give is dont take one doctors word. I did and went 8 years with a heirnated disks in my neck. I suffered horrible pain the whole time. Now 17 years after the pain began I live each day with some amount of pain. I do not take strong pain killers. I just use Darvocet. I dont like to feel not myself. I have not slept in a bed in over 8 years. I now have arthitis in almost every area of the spine. Alot of it caused by the 8 years my neck was tilted in the wrong direction. Put all the pressure on my low back that now has arthitis from L2 down. I have congenital stenosis in the low back so the nerve were already constricted some anyways. Now much worse. Anytime I stand for longer the 5 or 10 minutes it feels like someone has a knife in my back and it doesnt end till I sit or bend down to straighten out low back. Once you have a surgery on your spine you run the risk of having another disk heirnate. Since your fusion is stronger then the ones above and below. That is what happened to me. C3-4 Thru C6-7 are now fused. Have had 3 different surgeons and have had 2 other ones send me to the other surgeons because my spine was to complicated for them. Now my last surgeon from 2008 surgery moved out of area so now I have no current neurologist. My pain doctor is handling my care for now. This has been the longest time between my surgeries. : 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, and 2008 were the years of my spine surgeries. I had a craniectomy with cranioplasty in 2007. I had a tumor on my skull that had to be removed because it was growing into my brain. Turned out to be beign but now I have nerve damage to my head now too. I hate nerve damage. I have pins and needles on my scalp most of the time. I get severe stabbing nerve pain on my forehead where they removed my skull. They cut me from temple to temple at the hair line and it has damage those nerves. I did manage to have a daughter in 2004 when I didnt think I could get pregnant and she is the only sunshine in my pain filled days.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi....
you're a fighter.....find pleasures in what you can......you are right your daughter will ease your pain and bring sunny light to brighten your day. most older people will tell you life is a battle so you might say you are in that battle now. just know here are others hurting too but still hanging in there.....pete
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi....
you're a fighter.....find pleasures in what you can......you are right your daughter will ease your pain and bring sunny light to brighten your day. most older people will tell you life is a battle so you might say you are in that battle now. just know here are others hurting too but still hanging in there.....pete
|

replied July 21st, 2010
2nd back surgery to remove hardware.
Well, the hardware lidocaine injections proved that it was causing a lot of pain 1 yr after the back surgery. It only lasted 1 day but I felt better than I had in 2 years. Even some of the nerve pain went away so I decided to have the surgery to remove the hardware. I was so hoping it would also take care of the nerve pain-wrong. This recovery is so much quicker than the original. It's only been a week and already I'm taking 20 min walks. But I will start physical therapy next week. My leg and foot pain is so bad it wakes me in the night. My Dr keeps trying to downplay it-"It takes time" He's been telling me that for a year now and all the meds he's given me do nothing to help. Should I see a neurologist now? Should I see a medical malpractice lawyer? Or is this one of the risks you take when you have back surgery that your nerve damage could be permanent? I don't remember what the fine print said that I signed on all those forms a year ago. The MRI showed no scar tissue or nerve problem so since it's been a year, is this most likely permanent? I really don't think I could ever "get use" to it and can't live like this!

Cindy
|

replied July 21st, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi cindy....
my advice is to really make an extreme effort with the physical therapy. by strengthening core muscles your pain may ease. think positive....
forget legal action because it will add too much stress that will cause more pain beside that you wont win. at least ten percent of back surgery patients get it through no fault of the dr. call it bad luck....work hard on pt. make your own good luck......pete
|

replied July 25th, 2010
I am in a similar situation. L5-S1 discectomy in May. Woke up with pain and numbness lt foot. Progressive weakness, foot slapping. MRI shows nothing. Having Ct tomorrow to Rule out stenosis. I didn't have nerve pain, numbness and weakness BEFORE surgery, Did I develop stenosis on the Operating table? I think NOT.Refuse to take Lyrica due to side effect of HUge weight gain. The best thing I can recommend is get in the pool. Find an aqua therapist.Walk in chest deep water, all directions. Do leg raises in the water. Kick board. swim, get a Jogging vest for in the pool, it takes all weight off the joints or just tread water.This is the only thing that has helped me. I love the pool
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Hi,
What can I say, that hasn't already been said. I have the exact same problems. Drives me round the twist, and boy do I get Angry sometimes. It's unrelenting, but as it's all going on inside the body, no-one can understand. My fusion is a joke really, as the pain is now worse than the original nerve compressions. Half the time I'm doped-up with the daily Pill-Popping, and the other half of the time, I'm like a bear with a sore head. I've had the nerve blocks, the lidocaine jabs, tens machine, physio, acupuncture, exercises, rest, MRI's/CT's, X-Rays, manipulation, relaxation, water therapy, every kind of pain-relief there is, and still no joy at all. Only one thing works - A Good Sense of Humour. It's a case of Laugh or Cry. Good Luck to All who have this awful problem, I wish you well.
|
12 >>