Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

birth control pill risks

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
My girlfriend has been on birth control for about a year now. She usually takes her pill sometime from 9:00 a.M. To 12:00 p.M. Today we had unprotected sex but she told me she forgot to take the pill after we had intercourse. She took the pill right after we had sex which was about 10 p.M. Are there any risks I should be worrying about?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 5th, 2007
Experienced User
Being approximately 10 hours late taking her pill, there is an increased risk of pregnancy but there is no way for us to quantify just how much increased the risk is.

Since you had sex very recently there is time to get plan B (emergency contraceptive pills).
|

replied July 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Birth Control Pill Risks
Fil_23 wrote:
My girlfriend has been on birth control for about a year now. She usually takes her pill sometime from 9:00 a.M. To 12:00 p.M. Today we had unprotected sex but she told me she forgot to take the pill after we had intercourse. She took the pill right after we had sex which was about 10 p.M. Are there any risks I should be worrying about?

Thanks

Because she only missed one pill and it was less than 12 hours late, she should be fine. I've taken pills late like that before too. Have her take a look at the booklet that came with her pills. It should tell her what to do when she misses a pill.
|

replied July 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
She is fine.

It is not considered a missed pill until 12 hours later, and MOST pills do not require any back-up or extra caution with only one missed pill.
|