Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Tearing Hymen (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
How much bleeding occurs when a hymen is broken during sex, and do you continue to proceed when it is broken? or how do you proceed?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The majority of women don't even have a hymen. Some had one at one point but it can be broken during sports, riding horses, putting tampons in, and other things of that sort. I personally didn't bleed at all when I first had sex so I can't give you any words of experience there. If you do happen to bleed you need to do whatever feels comfortable. Most of the time, bleeding is caused due to lack of lubrication before intercourse. Try to be sure that you are thouroughly turned on or have enough lubricant before trying. Having a caring partner helps loads as well.
|

replied July 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Hymen
ricobarnes wrote:
How much bleeding occurs when a hymen is broken during sex, and do you continue to proceed when it is broken? or how do you proceed?

If you do have a hymen that can break during sex, it may bleed what seems like a lot; mine did, but it didn't happen during my first sex act. Thankfully it happened in the shower lol. It usually stops fairly quickly, and you may spot for a day or so afterwards.

However, my hymen was unusual anyway, so it really doesn't count. Most women don't have an intact hymen by the time they have sex. The myth of "popping the cherry" is false.

Sex should not hurt. If it hurts, then something is wrong. Even sex for a virgin should not hurt. My first time was painless and amazing. I didn't bleed, either. And no, my boyfriend was not small Wink
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Monkey and eiri are both right.

The typical hymen is broken long before a girl ever has sex, like monkey said. There is usually little or no pain involved, so most girls don't even realize when it happened.

Many girls bleed during sex due to rips and tears from not being lubricated enough. That problem is usually easily solved with a water-based lubricant.

Like eiri said though, women are built differently. So some women have a much tougher hymen than the norm. Their hymen might stay intact for longer, and it might bleed more when it does tear, but keep in mind that they are not the norm.
|

replied July 6th, 2007
Experienced User
...i bled..what seemed to be like quite a bit lol...actually i did the first few times we did any kind of sexual act, just bc before my bf i have now I had never done anything more than kiss a guy...soooo..i dunno maybe i'm weird...but the first few times for me were..kinda messy...but its all good now...
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
worrywart001 wrote:
...i bled..what seemed to be like quite a bit lol...actually i did the first few times we did any kind of sexual act, just bc before my bf i have now I had never done anything more than kiss a guy...soooo..i dunno maybe i'm weird...but the first few times for me were..kinda messy...but its all good now...

Many women bleed, sometimes quite a bit, if there is not enough lubrication. So that could have also been your problem.
|

replied July 6th, 2007
Experienced User
Llewellyn wrote:
worrywart001 wrote:

Many women bleed, sometimes quite a bit, if there is not enough lubrication. So that could have also been your problem.

more than likely, because of nerves especially...kinda got in the way of me actually enjoying sex...actually thats why i'm on bc now...now i dont freak out so much about getting pregnant...its helped with my stress tremendously which has defintely improved the sex life Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
worrywart001 wrote:

more than likely, because of nerves especially...kinda got in the way of me actually enjoying sex...actually thats why i'm on bc now...now i dont freak out so much about getting pregnant...its helped with my stress tremendously which has defintely improved the sex life Smile

Exactly; being nervous can definitely maker you dry. A lot of girls don't seem to know that! That's great to hear that you're using protection!
|

replied December 21st, 2008
how about this??
i did not bleed when i lost my virginity, nor did i find it to be painful. my boyfriend and i have had sex quite a few times since then, but the last time we had sex, i bled quite a bit, although it has stopped and only happened immediately after sex. what i'm worried about though is that i'm able to actually see that something has been torn, but i have no idea what to do! thoughts?
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2008
Experienced User
kitsonchick...
what has been torn and how much? i'm presuming that if it has stopped bleeding, you're probably ok. you just need to let it heal before you have sex again. do you know what happened that caused this tear to occur? maybe some activity (fingering, or penetration) before you were wet enough? maybe you got too dry and still kept on having sex?

typically problems like this are caused by either one of two things. 1) not enough lubrication or 2) something sharp like a fingernail making the cut.

make sure to allow yourself plenty of time to heal. also, be very careful not to get any bacteria in your vagina. wash your hands thoroughly before and after going to the bathroom, make sure you wash your hands and anything else that comes in contact with your vagina as well (fingers, toys, penis, etc.). hehe.

hope you feel better sweetie.
jasmine
|

replied January 11th, 2010
Hey

My first time it hurt a bit but my boyfriend was very gentle, after a while it felt good but he looked down saw blood and that was that.

I didn't bleed much and it stopped very quickly like 5mins later, unfortunately my second time we were less careful and didn't stop. i bleed alot, again it stopped very quickly afterwards. It did however soak into my mattress. I did not notice at the time and if it doesn't hurt and he doesn't get turned off go for it Smile

But after that It didn't hurt much and i was fine for sports activities etc. the very next day and since then I haven't bleed again. The best thing i learned though is to talk before hand decide what you would do in this situation ahead of time, and take it slow. If it hurts just have him hold still till it stops about 30 seconds later and proceed carefully, it will give you time to strech without tearing and allow you to have a good time to when you loosen up a bit.
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2010
My first time it hurt a bit but my boyfriend was very gentle, after a while it felt good but he looked down saw blood and that was that.

I didn't bleed much and it stopped very quickly like 5mins later, unfortunately my second time we were less careful and didn't stop. i bleed alot, again it stopped very quickly afterwards. It did however soak into my mattress. I did not notice at the time and if it doesn't hurt and he doesn't get turned off go for it

But after that It didn't hurt much and i was fine for sports activities etc. the very next day and since then I haven't bleed again. The best thing i learned though is to talk before hand decide what you would do in this situation ahead of time, and take it slow. If it hurts just have him hold still till it stops about 30 seconds later and proceed carefully, it will give you time to strech without tearing and allow you to have a good time to when you loosen up a bit.
hat has been torn and how much? i'm presuming that if it has stopped bleeding, you're probably ok. you just need to let it heal before you have sex again. do you know what happened that caused this tear to occur? maybe some activity (fingering, or penetration) before you were wet enough? maybe you got too dry and still kept on having sex?

typically problems like this are caused by either one of two things. 1) not enough lubrication or 2) something sharp like a fingernail making the cut.

make sure to allow yourself plenty of time to heal. also, be very careful not to get any bacteria in your vagina. wash your hands thoroughly before and after going to the bathroom, make sure you wash your hands and anything else that comes in contact with your vagina as well (fingers, toys, penis, etc.). hehe.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Possible hymen tear
Ok so my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time. It was good and I didn't bleed at all (even though he is big). We had sex again 2 days ago and there is blood on the sheets (even though im not on my period) and when I get home blood on my panties. It is the next day and im still bleeding (not a lot thankfully). Im not sure if this blood is from a vaginal tear becasue when we did have sex I was really wet. Could it be my hymen breaking late?
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
CuppieCake, It is likely one of three things:

1. Your period. For various reasons it can come late or early and becoming sexually active sometimes have that effect.

2. Your hymen got torn some more. Not all girls bleed when their hymen tears. At your age your hymen was very elastic. So thrusting differently this time could have made it tear.

3. This is still new for you and your vagina is still getting used to stretching like this. The first few times it can stretch in ways it has never been stretched before. It can cause micro tears and light bleeding.

Remember that it is called 'making LOVE' for a reason. Sex is best done gently and not rough.

I hope you took precautions to protect your health and from pregnancy.
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Im 13 years old, and i was with my boyfriend. i have been with him for 8 months now, so please dont say stuff like im too young and stuff :/
he fingered me, and when i got home, i looked at my panties as i got into the shower, and they had blood on. I knew it wasnt my period as when im on im very heavy. But he didnt even finger me properly, it was for 2 seconds.
im confused as i dont know if it was my hymen ripping, or not, but it has stopped bleeding, i cleaned up and it just stopped.
There was hardly any blood.
Im scared and confused, and i dont know what to do, but i cant talk to my mum about this, if she found out what i did with my boyfriend, i would be kicked out :'/
im only 13 and i just want to know if my hymen has ripped or not, :'/
any advice or help would mean alot.
PLEASE HELP ME <3
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Community Volunteer
There is a real chance that your hymen tore. The amount of time his finger was in you, does not matter.

When your hymen tear, you do not have to tell anybody. It does not change you, and it is not a medical condition. Depending on what happened, just leaving it alone may make it heal with just a notch in it.

You can also take a mirror and look at what is going on. If you do not already know what your hymen looked like, it can however be confusing. But still, no harm in looking.

If keeping your hymen intact is important, just do not allow anything inside your vagina. Your sexual pleasure is anyways centered around your clitoria, not your vagina.

Do not do something stupid now because you are horny. Sorry always come to late.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Okay honestly my friend bled a lot and apparently she was soaked so sometimes people just bleed and also because your not as stretched as a virgin depending on the size of the guy it could hurt. Myself I use tampons and horseback ride and my hymen is still intact fingering and other sexual acts are really uncomfortable for me. Maybe I'm not normal but if u read up on health stuf about this some girls have a high up Hymen some girls don't.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Hymen issues
I just got back from some sexual activity... this guy i am kinda seeing and since i started using tampons every now and then when pulling it out it got stuck on this... skin. i assume this is my hymen. So this guy was fingering me and his finger slipped into the slit this skin makes... it ripped a little more so being humiliated i excused myself and "took care of it" so that it wont happen again. Only now im bleeding quite a bit... anybody heard of this??
|

replied September 25th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Just wear a pad for a bit until it stops.
|

replied July 6th, 2013
hymen virginity
hi well almost a week ago me and my boyfriend were making out and he was fingering me and other stuff but i had my underwear which were black and tights on which also were black .. >.< so anyways umm whilst he was doing it twice i felt a little pain shoot up but only for a second ! as i went home i was a teeeeeeny bit sore because i assume he fingered me a bit hard nd he also did other things :$ but i changed my underwear didnt bother checking nd i changed into white underwear i felt no pain next morning all was good but by night time when i went to change my white underwear was stained with a fair amount of blood but its color was brownish and i know its not my period because untill now i havent gotten my period.. i was wondering is it possible to bleed from something other then tearing your hymen? also i checked myself and i know the two skins that were once there have ripped but i see slightly theres something blocking the entrance where the .. penis is supposed to enter.. could he have jas parted the skin but not broken my hymen please i need urgent help im dying for it im 16 and my parents would FLIP if they found out pls pls pls pls i need help :'(
|
12 >>
Quick Reply