Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Alzheimer Disease Forum

Does loss of smell lead to Alzheimer's disease ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
I have just read where those who can't smell may have, or get, alzheimer's disease. I haven't been able to smell since I was about 15-16 years old. They think it is because of having my adnoids out 3 times in about 7 years when I was very young. (also had my tonsils out). Is this anything to worry about as in reference to Alzheimer's disease?
Thank you,
Lynn

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Alzheimer Disease Answer A3049
Alzheimer's disease is a progressive illness caused by the destruction of brain cellsleading to loss of memory and other cognitive defects, advancing to personality changes and loss of control over bodily functions. The loss of smell or olfactory function has been known to be an early sign of some degenerative diseases for over a decade but it can't be directly linked to Alzheimer as a reference. In other words people who have experienced loss of smell are not guaranteed to contract this disease in their lifetime.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Alzheimer Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.