Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Hair Thinning (Page 1)

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
If your sugar is out of control can that cause hairloss or thinning?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marjan76
|

replied October 6th, 2003
Hair Loss & Diabetes
One of my symptoms prior to being diagnosed with diabetes was hair loss. Diabetes is hormone related so it can cause loss of hair. That being said there are other reasons for losing hair such as age, thyroid problems etc. This is something that should be discussed with a doctor. Better to be safe & cautious since everyone is different.
|

replied July 25th, 2004
Diabetes - Hair Thinning
I was worried sick when my hair started to thin dramatically. It had always been thick and healthy looking but began falling out by about 300/400 hairs a day over a period of many months.

When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (controlled by diet) it started to improve almost immediately. I also lost 2 stones in weight.

Eighteen months later my hair is much thicker and shiny. In fact it is nearly back to normal.

I hope this helps others who may be feeling depressed about their situation.
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
I started rapidly losing hair (i'm female), several months after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It's a general thinning of hair... Lots falling out, etc. I may also be pre-menopausal...

I told my doctor about my thinning hair and he tried to get me to see a dermatologist, but i've got an hmo and that request was denied.

I think my bloodwork is ok... Or at least the doctor didn't suggest any new tests.

Is it related to diabetes or something else?

And is there anything I can do about it--over-the-counter-wise, since my hmo is denying me a visit to a dermatologist?

Help!!!
|

replied July 18th, 2005
Dont Worry Guys
Ok I was just diagnosed with type one diabetes about 2.5 months ago, im a 21 year old female. I too noticed a few weeks ago that my hair was coming out in greater than normal amounts, but ive done a lot of research on this and really theres nothing to worry about. Basically its a condition called telogen effluvium. This means that when your body undergoes any kind of hormonal or metabolic related stress(such as the introduction of insulin to an undiagnosed diabetic), a certain percentage of your hair will stop growing. This then shows up about 2 months later when the new hairs grow in and finally push the dead hairs out of your scalp. So your hair will thin considerably, but probably only to a point noticeable to you. And also, the hair will all grow back usually within 6 months, but of course itll take time to reach the length of the rest of your hair esp if you have long hair like me. Im going to start rogaine soon bc ive heard that it will help speed the regrowth process, ill post on here again to let ppl know if it does me any good.
Keep your chins up :) its really not so bad....If anyone has any questions or anything or wants to talk im definitly more than willing, my aol sn is evilgermanjen. I havent had diabetes for very long but ive done a lotttttt of research on it and am a biochemistry major so maybe theres something I could perhaps help someone with.
Good luck to all :)
-jen
|

replied August 11th, 2005
Worried X 3
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes over a year ago...Now this isn't because of a family trait, but because of a medication that was prescribed to me. I am like a lot of you....Female....Long thick hair....A couple of months ago I noticed that my hair was...What I call it..."shedding" at an unusual rate. Since I know that it is normal to lose at least a few hundred hairs per day...I didn't worry too much. Now, it seems like i'm going to bald in no time. So, it was time for research. I have come across so many reasons for the hair loss....I suppose it is because of the diabetes. There are so many complications from this disease...Which one is the culprit for me losing my hair? My doctor and dermatoligist say it is a combination of factors. However the main one that was stressed to me was dehydration and stress. Now, my blood sugar stays crazy. I haven't been able to regulate it at all. Even though I have been battling this for a while now. I suppose what I really need to know is has anyone found a way to help it grow back faster?...And does anything really work? This hair loss is particularly frustrating to me because I had brian surgery twice a few years back for a tumor and they shaved my head bald. So, it took a long time for it to grow back and I am really afraid of going bald again. I hope someone out there can give some advice.
|

replied September 1st, 2005
Thinning, Shedding, Plain Falling Out
I was just diagnosed about 2.5 months ago with type 2 diabetes. Complications and symptoms arose in february of this year but I did not get diagnosed and receive treatment until the mid-end june. I take metformin 2x's a day and actose once. My hair was not falling out prior to the medication. It was about 5" thick, it hurt to wear my up for more than a few hours. Now, it's a mere inch thick - less than 3 months later. I notice a lot of you with diabetes are experiencing this exact thing but for whatever reason not until recently. I wonder, is this a result of the medication or the sickness? Are there any herbal remedies that someone can suggest to help my hair get back to as close as it used to be?
|

replied September 4th, 2006
Hair Loss
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost a year ago. I did not start experiencing hair loss until I started taking metformin 2x a day. I think the hair loss is connected to the medicine. If someone else started experiencing hair loss before the use of medicine, then my little theory is wrong.

:?
|

replied November 15th, 2006
I have suffered from diabulimia for a year and about a month after I started missing my insulin, my hair fell out in huge clumps. A year later, my habits have marginally improved and my hair is growing back. I've had diabetes for nearly 8 years and have never suffered hair loss before.
|

replied November 28th, 2006
I have hair thinning too. My mum noticed it first a few months ago and was really worried about it. Also, my hair seems to have stopped growing, did any one else notice this?
|

replied July 9th, 2007
I was never diagnosed by a doctor, but I had been SEVERELY insulin resistant for over 3 years. Back in 2003 I was drinking tons and tons of beer, and was very stressed out all the time by my job, both of which helped lead me to insulin resistance.

I first started losing my hair in January of 2003. Coincidentally this is exactly the same time I started becoming reactive hypoglycemic and hyperinsulinemic (looking back). This was in a classic pattern. First the hairline, then gradually my crown started to thin.

4 years later I still look good, but it's VERY obvious it had progressed toward where my dad is now, except much sooner and much faster.

My dad is also pre-diabetic, but his blood sugar issues are not near as severe as mine were. His hair loss, respectively, was much slower, much more gradual, and started later in life.

I think insulin resistance is the actual cause, or atleast CAN be a cause of MPB. Not too sure if you other guys were seeing this type of loss, or a telogen effluvium.

However, when I switched to a ketogenic diet (along with this thing called the Scalp Exercise I've been doing for a couple years) I started seeing a few terminal hairs come back at my hairline and have tons of tiny brown hairs that are growing a little bit longer with each cycle. This diet is all meat. I only eat meat, nothing else. No veggies, no carbohydrates, no grains, nothing. Just meat.

Also, when my blood sugar was out of control my scalp was nasty (not to mention my over all health). It was greasy, scaling, bleeding and had eczema all over. Now the I've reversed my blood sugar problem, it's as smooth as a baby's butt.

Also, now when I work out, run or do something that gets my blood pumping when I touch my scalp it tingles. It's a weird feeling that goes from the top of the hairline back to the vertex. I believe this is because the scalp is being stimulated again, and it's no longer being destroyed by DHT. It sure didn't feel like that when I was insulin resistant.

It's only been a couple of months, so I haven't seen my density return completely yet. But I'm seeing new terminal hairs ALL OVER my hairline popping up.

Here take a look at this article I wrote on my theory about hair loss

http://www.healthmad.com/Nutrition/Hair-Lo ss-and-Insulin-Resistance.32349
|

replied July 16th, 2007
I've been a type 2 diabetic for about 8 years. I've been in good control of my sugar levels by a combination of diet, oral medicines, and exercise. And recently I've started with Byetta and cut down on my metformin. My weight is still an issue and still bumps up and down. But my main question is the same as most of you. Hair thinning and whether if it's related to diabetes or our medicines.

I've been on Glucophage/Metformin for about as long as I remember being diabetic and looking back I think my hair was thinning slowly but surely the same time. My barber always noticed it and told me to stop using such strong shampoos, gels, and sprays. I've tried to comply but I'm starting to think it's related to my health, either the sickness or the medicines.

I'm in good levels but still need to lose some pounds but I would consider myself "controlled" but I still don't know if it has any affect on my hair. I also use to have a good set of hair but now it's thinning and doesn't grow as much. Similarly my father has also started to notice it. But he's 53 and I'm 25, so I don't know.

Any thoughts will gladly be accepted.
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
I have been taking metformin for about 6 months since diagnosis with type 2. I have also lost considerbale weigth in that time through diet change and exercise. Blood sugars are now well under control an dmy weight has been stable at my healthy target for about 6 weeks now.

All good. But I have also noticed major hair thinning - both loss and much thinner texture of the actual hairs - from the crown outwards. Family members put it down to losing so much weight. The theory about metabolic shock makes alot of sense. You get the same effect with anorexics.

But I don't know if the drug is a ocntributory cause or just a coincidental factor. I hope so, because I would like to think that the hair will start to recover. I used to have quit bushy hair and plenty of it for a middle aged male. But I'd rather have well controlled diabetes with thinner hair than risk the side effects of out of control diabetes.
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Hair Loss
I was diagnosed with type 2 Biabetes in August this year and was eventually given maximum dosage of Metaformin and another drug but unfortunately it didn't make any difference to my blood sugar levels which were out of control. I have only been on Insulin for a month as well as the Metaformin (4 a day) and have noticed my hair has been falling out at a rapid rate, especially on the crown but a general thinning all over. I spoke to a family member who is a Hairdresser and it was suggested that I may have a vitamin B12 deficiency and was advised to check out my medication with the doctor in case it had anything to do with it. I have noticed that the information sheet with the tablets states that Metaformin can cause a deficiency of B12 so that may explain it but apart from eating the right foods rich in B12 and taking supplements, what else can you do?
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Stopped Balding
I became a diabetic(type 2) when my doctor literally overdosed me on prednisone. I gained 82 pounds in about three months. I was probably prediabetic though because I was losing my hair like crazy for a year before that. Once I was officially diagnosed, put on meds, (metaformin and avandia) it grew back thick, healthy and shiny. Being a diabetic has been a horrible blow for me. I still have 30 pounds to lose and the whole thing sucks. The one thing that helped me though was to accept my misfortune. If you try everything and nothing works you may have to acept the fact that you won't have the hair you once had. I was in your shoes, I've always had the best head of hair in the family and I was a bald eagle. Once I accepted it I felt much better. A fluke made it all grow back. You may want to start using Nioxin products because they'll stop the balding and make the best of what hair you do have. Good luck and God Bless.
|

replied January 27th, 2008
Hair Loss Diabetes
Glad I found this site. I've got to mention something to anyone interested in traveling to Peru. About six months ago I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes. My vision was blurred. Hair was falling out, etc. Doc put me on metaformin combo, and I went thru what most of you speak.
THEN I WENT TO THE AMAZON! There I briefly mentioned my diagnosis. The folk in the river looked seriously at me and said it could be easily controled. They went down to the river, pulled up three plants (weeds). I made the essence by boiling them in bottled water. After one day, no meds, my blood sugar dropped to 114! It stayed there for weeks! It tasted oh so bitter in my mouth, but felt great in my stomach and insides. They claimed if one takes it for a month, they will be completely healed. I'm a believer now!
Heading back soon!
|

Plant names
Oh, forgot the plant names. I'm looking into the botanical titles, but indians call them: MULLACA (moo-yaa-kah), Hierba Santa Lucia (Lemon Grass), and Cocona. It's worth the flight to Iquitos Peru. Ask around the tourist sites for one of the newly formed health clinics doing this treatment.
|

Plant names
Sign me up! If you have a second bout of success with the herbs please let me know. I'd love to have your success although I'd check it out with my MD first. I always worry I'll try something I have an allergy to and then yuck! But please keep me informed. Thanks again
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
Thinning hair
I am so glad to have found this page! I was very alarmed by my recent hair loss. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 2.5 months ago. Its only been for the last couple of weeks that I have noticed my hair thinning considerably though! At this point I have lost almost half of my volume. It was getting to the point where others were starting to notice the change in my hair. (My mother-in-law panicked when she saw all of the hair left on her couch the last time I visited!)
I originally had very thick and healthy hair; something that I valued greatly, and was horrified to think that I might be going bald. After some research and visiting this page my concern is lessened some. Thanks for all of the information on this page it really helped me out!

Also, I would like to know if the Rogain worked to speed up the re-growth?
It would certainly be something I would love to look into if it has worked for others!
|

replied April 26th, 2009
type 1 and diabulemia
I've been type 1 diabetic for almost 5 years...for about 2.5 years I suffered from diabulemia and my blood sugars were out of control...as a result I developed gastroparesis and was hospitalized again and again over a few months..I suffered from malnutrition and dehydration.

I have recovered from diabulemia and have been taking excellent care of myself for over 9 months but my last hospital visit for gastroparesis/malnutrition was 4 months ago.

My hair is extremely thin...it started falling out during my diabulemia spell but I have a feeling that even when I recovered...that the malnutrition from gastroparesis made it worse....

I've been well for 4 months but my hair is still thin...my sugars are in control as well...when should my hair start growing back?
|
12 >>
Tags: hair, Diabetes
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal