Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Heart Shaped Uterus

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
My doc just told me I have a heart shaped uterus should i worry about this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Corplady29
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
lol i have no idea...he would have told you if that was a bad thing would he?
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
there was a post about this not that long ago by a member called IllonaLane but no one responded to it. are you pregnant? i would imagine you are if you are posting here. i think kia, who is one of the moderators has experience with this. you could try sending her a private message. as far as i know there are different types of heart shaped uterus and what kind you have determines the effect. i know that early delivery can happen and some women have a hard time getting or staying pregnant. my info on this is limited though. hopefully someone else will have some answers for you. maybe try posting in the doctor question section as well. good luck.
|

replied July 3rd, 2007
kaerbear wrote:
there was a post about this not that long ago by a member called IllonaLane but no one responded to it. are you pregnant? i would imagine you are if you are posting here. i think kia, who is one of the moderators has experience with this. you could try sending her a private message. as far as i know there are different types of heart shaped uterus and what kind you have determines the effect. i know that early delivery can happen and some women have a hard time getting or staying pregnant. my info on this is limited though. hopefully someone else will have some answers for you. maybe try posting in the doctor question section as well. good luck.

Many thks for your reply.. No Im not pregnant but TTC.. well she(my doc )said I have nothing to worry about but she will do some more test later coz of our insurance.. many thks for you answer..
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2007
Re: Heart Shaped Uterus
Pinkyhasi wrote:
My doc just told me I have a heart shaped uterus should i worry about this?

I have a heart shaped uterus and I am 12 weeks pregnant. My doctor informed me that a heart shaped uterus does not preclude women from getting pregnant; but it can lead to pre-term labor. Since the baby is only growing on one side of the uterus, 10-15% of her patients with this issue deliver early. As long as the baby is at least 34 weeks, most doctors will allow delivery to occur. I am considered a high risk pregnancy, so monthly ultrasounds are required to monitor the baby's growth. As scary as all the risks are, there is no need to be worried. Medical care is so much more advanced than it used to be. I figure if there are women out there who have litters of 5-8 babies at once and all survive, than 1 baby can manage just fine in half of my uterus.
|

replied July 10th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
finally someone with some info! it's interesting that they can't do anything about this before someone gets pregnant. they do all sorts of other surgeries to "fix" things. i guess they haven't figured that one out yet. congrats on the pregnancy and good luck! you have a really positive attitude.
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2007
kaerbear wrote:
finally someone with some info! it's interesting that they can't do anything about this before someone gets pregnant. they do all sorts of other surgeries to "fix" things. i guess they haven't figured that one out yet. congrats on the pregnancy and good luck! you have a really positive attitude.

My doctor did state that there is a surgery that can partially fix this issue, but it can not be done while a woman is pregnant. The surgery actually goes in to correct the form of the uterus, but there is a high risk that a woman may not ever be able to carry a baby after the surgery; which is a side effect I could not live with. So to all the women out there, make sure to really consider all your options before going thru with a surgery like that.
Kaerbear-Thanks for the compliment on the positive attitude. Many of my friends who have children tell me that my disposition while I am pregnant will dictate my child's personality. Whether it's true or not, staying positive seems to help with my blood pressure Smile
|

replied May 23rd, 2009
im only 6 weeks pregnant and i found out that i have one too. the doctor said that i will be high risk and said that i will have more appointments then usual. he said theres nothing to be too worried about. when i got home and i was over whelmed and worried that i was gonna miscarry but when i talked to my sister she said that my mother and my aunt both had the same thing and between the two of them they popped out 6 healthy children!
|
Quick Reply