Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Pregnant with constant pain under right rib cage - Gallstone

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
i am 21 weeks pregnant with almost constant pain under my right rib cage what could be the cause? what can i do? i've told my ob and they keep telling me everythings ok that all my labs and vitals are normal. Should i be concerned, i don't know how i'll make it 4 more months with this constant pain.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Pregnancy Q and A Answer A3096
You wrote:

"i am 21 weeks pregnant with my second child. i have had all my prenatal care visits without any complications thus far. my doctor says i am gaining wt normally and all my blood work is normal and my vital signs have remained within normal limits. but i keep having quite a bit of pain under my right rib cage that is almost constant. i've informed my doctor several times but they state everythings ok and all my labs are normal....but they never give any reason why i am having this pain. the only thing that relieves it sometimes is lying down."

Pain under your right ribcage probably has nothing to do with the pregnancy but, perhaps, is related to a gallbladder disorder (stones for example). You can request an abdominal ultrasound to exclude gallstones as a reason for those pains and to possibly diagnose any other cause for the discomfort. You can go to your primary physician to follow up.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.