Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

I Hurt Myself to Feel Better

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
to start off yes i've cut myself before this but this cutting only comes in spurts like when i feel like there is no other way out. I've never seen a doctor for it or been on any medication. This time i've haven't been myself for a while i don't know it just feels different. im always mad at something i can go from happy to angers in 2.5 seconds it seems like. I've looked at the symptomes for depression i have some of them but i've never wanted to kill myself but i do cut myself. and i honestly do not believe that is the same thing its just a release for me. but i've never hurt myself without a reason i don't do it for fun or attention but now its getting outta hand please someone help me. i don't want to see a doctor because i know people get put away for things like this but i just can't take this anymore please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile PestimisticAngel
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Experienced User
Re: I Hurt Myself to Feel Better
troyeb60 wrote:
to start off yes i've cut myself before this but this cutting only comes in spurts like when i feel like there is no other way out. I've never seen a doctor for it or been on any medication. This time i've haven't been myself for a while i don't know it just feels different. im always mad at something i can go from happy to angers in 2.5 seconds it seems like. I've looked at the symptomes for depression i have some of them but i've never wanted to kill myself but i do cut myself. and i honestly do not believe that is the same thing its just a release for me. but i've never hurt myself without a reason i don't do it for fun or attention but now its getting outta hand please someone help me. i don't want to see a doctor because i know people get put away for things like this but i just can't take this anymore please help

That does not just sound like depression. It actually sounds like something else. I am by no means a doctor. You need to seek out help from someone. A school therapist or something. You could accidentally hurt someone you love. You need to think about that
|

replied July 1st, 2007
u r moody rnt ya? always think twice before taking action... increase your patience

show some restraint... a human must never deliberately hurt him/herself in any way physically or morally... always analyze yourself... thats the best way... try to practice patience and increase your temper

one way to do that is to not give yourself what u want (something which is not a necessity of life) for a certain amount of time just to test yourself

for example if u r a cigarette smoker quit for a week or if u r fat and eat alot... reduce amount of food or cut your favorite meal for a couple of weeks

test yourself just for sake of seeing if u can handle it and encourage yourself to have patience.... thats why we have something called "fasting"

get yourself an anger fast - meaning try not to get angry for 1 day from the moment u wake to moment u go to bed... remember everything and everyone becomes an obstacle as soon as u make a decision like that.... for that day tell yourself u don wanna get mad at all over nothing and under no condition... for one day learn to accept what happens and treat it reasonably and not emotionally... if u r successful at the end of the day u'll figure it b4 u go pass out... somewhere in your mind there will be a new experience

and always remember u should be happy with what u got already... thousands of ppl are having way more serious problems and are really only trying to survive and stay alive ... always keep that in mind.. that there are way worse life stories than yours! and many exceptional and very intelligent persons have survived in those situations only to become famous ppl who have helped humanity in dif ways!
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
I SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION AND OTHER STUFF. YOU COULD BE DEPRESSED AND BY HURTING YOURSELF IS A WAY OF DEALING WITH THE HURT OR PAIN. I WOULD TALK TO A DR AND TELL HIM TO SEE IF YOU ARE DEALING WITH DEPRESSION. I WOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT HURTING YOURSELF BUT SEE IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION. IF HE SAYS YES YOU CAN GET TREATMENT AND MAYBE THAT COULD HELP YOU STOP HURTING YOURSELF.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
maybe being put away is best? you needto be segregated from hurting yourself before you kill yourself
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
young Girl wrote:
maybe being put away is best? you needto be segregated from hurting yourself before you kill yourself
That should be the LAST resort, at least in my opinion, JUST CAUSE THINGS LOOK HOPELESS, CRAPPY, AND OR BAD doesnt mean that we have to go to such drastic measures, I think he or she needs friends someone to talk to. He or she needs a healthy even physical but POSITIVE way of venting it. It being his or her fustrations, like may be he or she could try taking up karate or a dance class, swimming, musical intrumental lessons even learn a new language. May be you could try learning skatebording, roller skating, roller bladding or volunteering somewhere. Just whatever he or she might be even slightly BE interested in just keep your self busy and active. However if that doesnt work then may be you could try the more quiet way of doing things like meditating, yoga, or pilates. May be your approch might be to combine active work like karate in the afternoon and quiet relaxing natured things like doing pilates at night before you go to bed or may be you could try doing yoga in the morning and at the eveining you go skatebording. If that doesnt work then may be you could try counsiling talking about your feeling easing and sorting them out. Your last effort should be to be locked up, you shouldnt have to resort to tha that's why you try different things and see what works.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
trying to help and get help.
Im in this site because my 13 yesr old dougther is cuting her self and she saids it makes her feel good when she is mad or sad. and i think this site will help me to help her. thanks.
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2009
Supporter
Oh honey I am so sorry..This is a pain for the entire family..I am so glad you are trying to understnad and help her..So many on this site do not have that family support or are fearful to tell their parents..You will be able to help them the cutters as well..
Your daughter needs professional help..She cuts because she has a pain that she cannot describe or understnad..Self inflcited pain is to help shake the other pain away so it doesn't have to be faced right now..A cutter will cut out of fear, anger,a test,lonliness,just thinking about it..
I amhere whenever you want to talk..Just PM if you want..KD
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Escaping emotional pain by making physical pain
I've had chronic depression since I was 10 years old, within this year I find myself seriously beating the crap out myself and for some reason it makes me feel better after i'm done. I think its a way to escape emotional pain by putting it into physicial pain which is something I can can grasp or control. I don't want to keep doing this and i'm afraid i'm going to get carried away one day. Today I was just screaming at myself in the mirror saying that I hated myself and i slapped my face about 20 times and gave me a nice bloody nose.ahh whats wrong with me?! thats not normal but I cant stop its become a reflex, does annnyone do the same thing or know someone that does? advice would be wonderful!
|

replied February 24th, 2011
I also have the same issue. I don't understand it but its the only way i know that would release some of my emotional pain. I have nobody to talk about my problem, because i think nobody would understand. I only need comfort i don't need to be told what to do ... i really wish someone understand this ...
|

replied January 20th, 2012
I hurt myself too..
I hit so hard on my forehead that it gets swollen and once I kept hitting my nose until it bled. I have also hit my mouth so that the teeth can hurt my lips and it can bleed. I have cut my both legs and my one arm that the marks are still there and remind me of what I did. the problem is that I really hate my boyfriend he controls me like a robot. I know that whenever I talk about his bad side to anyone people suggest me only one thing and that is I should leave him. I am not able to let him go. when we fight he tortures me like hell and my minds get so much pressurized and I fell like that only way to soothe and calm myself is to hurt my self. As we say that one pain can lessen the severity of the other pain. I know that what I do is wrong. he loves me I know that but controlling me isnt working out. I like to see my blood oozing out and I feel good and my mind relaxes. but next day I regret to see myself all hurt and swelled. I hope God helps me fight this situation. I really dont want this life for me....
|

replied March 27th, 2012
You don't want to hear it, but if you think your boyfriend is the source of the problem, you should let him know. If he doesn't seem to care, you need to leave him. You will get over him eventually. Just fill up the void while you get rid of him with distracting activities like video games or other new hobbies. Get a new pet. Or find a few close friends that will hang out with you all the time.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
m also going through from the same pain.. i have hurt myself many times.. its like relaxing myself.. whenever i feel alone.. i just think of dying... i am not able to think abt anyone else in my life... i just feel like m lost... Sad i feel my life as a crap...
|

replied May 19th, 2012
re: self-inflicted pain
For me the self-inflicted pain is masochistic. I believe it's the chemical reaction from the endorphins that makes me feel better. If you need that boost...that reset to your body's chemistry...there are other "safer" ways to produce endorphins in your body. Physical exertion, like running, yardwork, doing major "spring cleaning", etc. can produce endorphins. Also, although some may disagree, laughter or chocolate have both been said to produce endorphins. There are many other ways to produce a chemical change in your body, but you should read about it and talk to a medical professional. Before resorting to hurting yourself, please try other methods of producing these natural changes in the body. It works most of the time for me. Once I "reset", I am fine for longer and longer periods of time.
|