Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Bladder Infection During Pregnancy

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
My wife has been to the doctor and we recently found out she has a bladder infection.she is also 5 months pregnant.2 nights after the doctors appt she started having really painful abdominal pains.im just trying to get some ideas of things i can do to help the pain go away.i've already purchased cranberry juice because i heard that helps and she has already been given medication for it,but im just looking for something else maybe someone else has tryed that really worked for them.Thank You
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dannzibelle
|

replied June 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Take the medication as prescribed and she should feel better within 24 hours.
Cranberry can ease the symptoms, but won't clear it by any means.
|

replied June 30th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
she can drink lots of water, 6-8 glasses a day. unsweetened cranberry juice. cut down on sugar and caffiene. She can try rocking a little when she goes to the bathroom to make sure all of it comes out. the baby's head can sit on the bladder and keep it from draining properly. try rocking forward after emptying it to see if more comes out. abstain from intercourse until it has been treated and she should always make sure to urinate before and after when you do have sex. while being treated, just blot it dry with toilet paper then wipe front to back the rest of the time to prevent it from recurring. just use water when washing because harsh soaps and scented sprays and powders can make it worse. make sure undies stay as dry as possible at all times (women often have a lot of discharge and maybe some leakage of urine during pregnancy so pantyliners that are breathable can help with this - make sure they are changed often). well fitting, not tight undies that are breathable cotton. never hold in your urine; when you need to go, go as soon as you can.

my doc said i could take tylenol for the pain and discomfort and that helped me a lot. she should make sure to take all of the antibiotics prescribed even if she is feeling better after a day or two.

i hope she is feeling better very soon. i know they are very uncomfortable and painful. mine went away very quickly once it was being treated and hasn't come back since. good luck.

* just wanted to add, i'm not saying you should take tylenol, just that my doc said it was okay.
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
drink lots of water and she has to take her medicine
i had a bladder infection a week ago when i went into the lab for blood work they found out i had one
but its gone now
ooh and drink cranberry juice and stay away form orange juice
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2007
Supporter
cranberry juice does help to ease the pain but the only thing that will actually work will be the meds she's been given, i felt better the day after i started to take mine
|