Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Mental fog w/ sleepiness , trouble thinking clearly ,& conce

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
Lately, I have a feeling of "mental fog". I can't think clearly, make decisions, or maintain concentration like I was able to before. When I read, I find myself having to re-read over and over to extract the information. Also, my memory is not nearly as sharp as it once was. I have problems with numbers and being able to think critically. I was once an extremly intelligent person, but lately, I feel like I have an inferior thought process. Also, my coordination seems different. My entire mind feels like there is heavy fog and there no longer is a sense of being sharp, only dullness.

Also, I have no energy and have to take a nap during the day. I can sleep 10 hours and still feel weak and lazy throughout the day.

What is wrong with me? Any direction so I can consult my doctor? Suggestions?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Concernedperson21
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Mental Conditions Answer A3072
According to the symptoms you outline (“I can't think clearly, make decisions, or maintain concentration like I was able to before”, “memory is not nearly as sharp as it once was”, sleepiness…) ... you could be experiencing depression. You can consult a mental health professional about your condition and to seek an accurate diagnosis. Depression is frequently treated by the Western Medical establishment with psycho therapy and medication, if necessary.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.