Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Mirena Coil, Migraines And Back Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
help i need some advice! i have had the mirena coil in for over 7 months now and i've been getting migraines every few weeks. they gradually been getting more frequent. i also have had lower back pain that i assumed was sciatica.

i looked on a website for the mirena and it says if you have more frequent migraines you should contact your gp.

has anyone else had this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tisme
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I personally, have never used this form of birth control, so I can not speak from personal experience. The mirena coil is hormonal, right? Have you had these side effects from any other birth control in the past?
|

replied August 16th, 2007
Mirena And Sciatica
hi there
I have had sciatica and back problems for a while. I have endometriosis and the consultants recommended the mirena coil to settle down my heavy periods etc. However, shortly after the coil was inserted my sciatica was irritated and now (4 months later) I still have it - I am convinced that the coil made my sciatica worse although the doctors deny it. Someone did explain to me though that the nerve system in the uterus plugs in to the spine around the same place at the sciatic nerve. I'm going to try to keep my in until 6 months, but can't wait to whip the thing out!!!
Laughing
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
If you have more frequent migraines you really do need to contact your gyno. That could mean neurological disturbances, or problems with the circulation in your brain.

I couldn't tell you about the back pain... I had cramps on mirena but no back pain.
|

replied January 20th, 2009
mirena
i have had this mirena thing in since sept of07 i have always been very healthy but since i have had this in i have been nothing but sick now i have swolen masses on my brain and doctors are saying that i have multiple sclorosis but the symptoms of ms are the same as the side effects of mirena weakness vission problems tingling nad numbness in hands and feet if anyone has had tis happen to them please write me . Thanks
|
Users who thank smiley1312000 for this post: elainerowlands 

replied January 27th, 2009
Mirena coil and migranes
Ive only had the mirena fitted for six weeks and I have been suffering from migrane's and unknown back pain. It is starting to worry me as my doctors are not being very responive and the migrane has lasted 3 days AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY BEEFORE I HAD THE MIRENA FITTED. I am considering having it removed if it persists!
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2012
mirena
Hello
Ive had my mirena in for 4 weeks now and am experiencing the same symptoms plus some. Severely debilitating migraines and pain in my upper back, right shoulder and neck, both of which are causing me to get really bad nausea. I have symptoms for my symptoms!!! Also im getting increasingly more dizzy by the day and my usually sunny demeanor is more like a thunder cloud these days, which is just as unpleasant for everyone around me. So long story short this thing was pushed on me as a form of treatment for my endometriosis. Which was crap, how could it honestly treat endometiosis if im still getting a period! My follow up appointment is tomorrow, at which time i plan to have that thing taken out. And im sure that ill meet some resistance from my dr. But quite frankly i dont give a damn!!! The mirena just isnt working for me and i dont plan to allow them to sway me to think otherwise! I dont know if this was helpful, though hopefully its a bit of encouragement to those who find challenging their dr. To cause them anxiety! You know your body best and dont let anyone tell you differently! Smile take it easy y'all!
|

replied February 17th, 2009
migraines and mirena coil
I've had my coil fitted almost a year ago, and its been a nightmare, spent the first 7 months constantly bleeding, its cost me a fortune in sanitary products. Now the bleeding seems to have stopped altogether but I feel really poorly, I did a pregnancy test the other week because the symptoms I had were so similar, felt bloated,sick, tired. Whats bothereing me most though is that i have started to get really bad migraines, I have had three in the last 7 days, I get blured vision and feel sick and have to go to bed, Have had to get my husband home from work to look after our 1 year old. and kept my 12 year old off school on another day because I was too ill to get out of bed. I tried to get an appointment at the GP to get the thing taken out but I have to wait and see the nurse, who has no appointments for a week, can you pull the thing out yourself? I can't bear this anymore. I daren't leave the house in case a migraine starts and I can't drive home, I had to leave the car in the town last week and get a taxi home, it cost me �£15 to get the car out of the car park the next day!!! I would rather put up with heavy periods at least you only feel crap for one week a month. This has now been a whole year.
So please I found out other people have had problems, I keep being told it has no side effects and that its all in my mind.
|

replied February 22nd, 2009
Supporter
mirena coil
I had very bad back pain with the mirena and it ended up being pelvic inflamitory desease.
Have you ever had it checked out? Does advil help withbthe pain? I do not like the mirena it has caused me and 2 of my friends quite a bit of trouble. I can not have any more children because of the mirena same a 1 of my friends and the other is waiting to see what er options are. best of luck
|

replied February 24th, 2009
Supporter
i have had mirana for 6 months now. i have the back pain and occasional headaches. i also experience bleeding after sex but my doc cant find the reson why
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Supporter
My best advice to the ladies that are having issue and bad side effects from the mirena then you should have it removed. If your symptoms and issues go away after a month or 3 you know it was the mirena and if they do not then you need to find out the reason for what is happening.
I had bleeding after sex with the mirena and 3 months after that started I ended up with 2 hospital stays for pelvic inflammitory disease

had it removed
now am fine
|

replied May 21st, 2009
smiley1312000
Mirena coil
I had the coil fitted 5 months ago and that same day started to feel warm patches on my skin. I now have symptoms of ms and am seeing a neurologist next week. My symptoms have been tingling, nerve pains, muscle spasms. I am terrified that I have ms but i find it very strange that this started so soon after having this coil fitted.
I have had it removed a couple of weeks ago but have no improvement yet. Has anyone else had similar problems?
|

replied May 21st, 2009
Supporter
I would have to say it could be from the mirena I had all kinds of trouble from having
that coil in. I was told I had many differnt diseases and they ALL ended up being nothing.
At one point they told me I had lupus,then cancer, then MS, then epilepsy, then it was cancer again and in the end I ended worrying over nothing they found nothing at all at that time. Now it is different but have not had the mirena in since 2007. The last time I had it taken out I had pelvic inflammitory disease that was the reason they removed it. Then because I can not have the pill and such my Doctor decided to tie my tubes, then 2 months later had a ER hystorectomy and since then no symptoms, barely any pain, no muscle weekness. Best thing I ever did. only thing I regret is we were not sure we were finished having children. God chose for us and He as always was right.
I would wait it out you had the coil in for 5 months and it takes longer than two weeks to get the medicine out again. I know there is nothing I can say to tell you not to worry but I will be praying for you. Question was it your idea to remove the mirena or the doctor's? There are many symptoms of MS and alot of those symptoms are for many other diseases as well. If it was the doctor's idea to remove the mirena then he/she likely thinks it is the cause of the symptoms you are having,but is doing all the tests to make sure. It is better to be safe than sorry later.
If you need to talk or just vent you can PM me
anytime you like that is what friends are for.
taykare
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
I have now had an mri, but no results yet. The symptoms do not see any better yet, it has been about 5 weeks now that I had the coil removed so obviously I am very worried about whether this is ms or something else serious. I don't know enough about the subject to make a judgement, but I am terrified that the coil has given me something serious. My biggest problem is that i have a disabled child so Im really worried that I won't be able to care for him properly. Still, time will tell.
|

replied August 15th, 2012
I have similar symptoms since the coil and am waiting for another mri plus the coil to be removed. I am on 8 tramadol a day to cope with the pain.
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
I too have had all kinds of problems with the Mirena and MRI scans, CT scans etc. because they would not believe it was anything to do with the Mirena. I has it removed three weeks ago and my vision has turned to normal and my daily migraines gone!!!! Unfortunately I now have what can only be described as sciatica since the removal- I'm wondering if this is somehow linked as someone above stated that the area the mirena is in is next to the sciatic nerve? It's scary that the medical profession obviously have no idea what the Mirena is actually doing and refuse to believe all of us with these symptoms. I was signed off from work for a year and a half seemingly because of the Mirena as as soon as it was removed those symptoms stopped. Is there nothing we can do to get someone to act on our side effects and to research it more?
|

replied August 15th, 2009
Advise on alternative for Mirena
Hello there,

I was diagnosed last May of having endometriosis. I have been operated on for a cyst in my left ovary. After this my gyn prescribed me Lucrin for 6 months (May-Oct. 2009). After this, she suggested the use of Mirena. However, after reading all of your posts, I defenitely will not do it!! Therefore, I'm wondering what other alternative I have! Can someone suggest me something? My next consultation with my gyn will be in two weeks and I will discuss this with her. Thanks in advance for your help!!
|

replied November 15th, 2011
hi i also have endmetriosis i have had key hole surgery and had removed in 2009 apparantly it has reacured and now my gyn is telling me to have the mirena coil. after reading up from so many complaints i guess its not an optition for me my appoinment is in 5 weeks i really dont know what to do next.i guess we are in the same boat.
|

replied October 28th, 2009
Hi. I've had the mirena coil for 5 years and have suffered with vertigo and migraines since having it inserted. Doctor completly dismissed the possibility of it being the mirena, refused the Pill because of the migraines and advised me to have another coil fitted (which I had done tonight).I am in agony after having this one inserted. It's like labour pain!!! Now on beta blockers for the migraines but am now wondering if I've put up with 5 years worth of hell because of the coil! I'm so miserable. Also had VERY heavy lengthy periods before the coil. Any suggestions for a very miserable lady?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Hi Jols

I have had the mirena since 2006, I had it fitted after an operation and to be honest it was fine for the first year. But, then I began to get really sick, I was suffering chronic fatigue, anaemia, and severe bouts of vertigo also. I am tired going to the doctors so began to get a little depressed from that too. I have a young daughter and because of the lower abdominal pains I get I cant do much with her at times. I am awaiting results from a transabdominal scan I had on Monday and I am terrified because the pain has been constant for about 1 yr now. I cannot have painless intercourse with my partner and I cannot tell you the amount of infections I have ended up suffering over the past year, it is all a bit of a nightmare. but I am reaching a point where I am reading stories like yours and thinking, maybe its time to get it out and spend some time being more natural for a bit. The only thing is, I am not ready to have more children so what kind of options do you take after a coil I ask. I think you need to get a second opinion from a gynae and also do as I did, keep a pain/symptom diary, it shuts them up fast when they are not willing to listen! Hope this helped. Smile
|

replied January 25th, 2010
endometriosis and mirena coil; heavy bleeding and severe pain
I've had the coil for just over 2 years as part of my endometriosis treatment. I hadn't even made the link between my vertigo and sickness before now so thanks. I will speak to my consultant. Also, has anyone else experienced almost constant bleeding with associated pain. I've bled more or less constantly with pain for over 2 months and now suddenly I have a really heavy painful period even though I've still got the coil. The bleeding is so bad that it has made me really dizzy. I have a very specific localised pain in addition to this where I had adhesions separated only 6 months ago. Should I even be able to bleed heavily with the mirena coil?
|

replied August 6th, 2011
ive been reading the posts and just want some advice to see if anyone has similar. ive had my 2nd mirena in got it last year, i got it because of really painful periods that i was almost passing out with the pain, and was also suffering really bad pmt is the reason i got it.

i still get the painful periods at least twice a month, the bloating leading to my siatica playing up, i struggle to do anything and im back to taking diydracodeine again.

got a scan planned for end of month then the gyn dr in october but im struggling on a daily basis with pain, only releif is from the pmt now
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Wow I am glad I came across this! I think I need to see my gyno ASAP! I have had my mirena in since May 2011, so 11 months. I am using it to treat severe endometriosis that has not responded to surgery or other treatments and is possibly deep infiltrating. I am having migraines (never had them before), cramping, bloating, back pain, numbness in tingling in all of my limbs at some point, spots in my vision. I am getting very concerned. I keep thinking its the mirena so I am glad to hear that others can contribute the same symptoms to this drug. Sorry that everyone is feeling sick.
Did everyone's symptoms go away when it was removed?I am worried about being very hormonal after it is removed. Did anyone have that?
|
12 >>