Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Stressed About a Ringworm

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
so im on my 3rd day of treatment for my ringworm on my shoulder. the doctor gave me creme called Naftin and he said to put it on twice a day. so far nothing is working, its still the same as 3 days ago. he said to continue this treatment for 2 weeks. i was like woa 2 weeks, i want to go out places! anyways i am very self concscious about it and i dont want to leave the house until it heals. so my question is, what helps speed up the healing process? what are some signs of healing? about how long does it take to go away? what are some things not to do?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper maria_needs_advice
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2007
Experienced User
Jazker
Have you considered seeing a naturopath or doing a cleanse to help with that? I would do a "colonix" program to ensure that the ringworm does not make its way into my body and start creating havoc. Ringworms lay eggs and can move deeper into the body if not eliminated quickly. Check out the "colonix" program. I am sure it would help you to eliminate the ring worm and stop them for going any deeper. Let us know how it's going.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
ring worm is a fungal infection. A fungus does not "lay eggs". It grows on the skin and spreads by releasing spores that can infect others.
|

replied August 10th, 2007
Contrary to popular opinion "Ringworm" is NOT a worm.

The term "ringworm" or "ringworms" refers to fungal infections that are on the surface of the skin. The early belief was that the infection was due to a worm, which it is not. It is a result of a fungus infection. Nevertheless, the name "ringworm" has stuck. Some of these fungi produce round spots, but many do not. On the other hand, many round spots are not from fungus. A physical examination of the affected skin, evaluation of skin scrapings under the microscope, and culture tests can help doctors make the appropriate distinctions. A proper diagnosis is essential to successful treatment

Some fungi live only on human skin, hair, or nails. Others live on animals and only visit humans sometimes. Still others live in the soil. It is often difficult or impossible to identify the source of a particular person's skin fungus.

Heat and moisture help fungi grow and thrive, which makes them more common in skin folds such as those in the groin or between the toes. This also accounts for their reputation as being caught from showers, locker rooms, and swimming pools. This reputation is exaggerated, though, since many people with "jock itch" or "athlete's foot" are neither jocks nor athletes.

For a long time, the only effective antifungal tablet was griseofulvin (Fulvicin, Grifulvin, and Gris-PEG). In recent years, newer agents have been introduced that are both safer and more effective. These include terbinafine (Lamisil), itraconazole (Sporanox), and fluconazole (Diflucan). Reputations die hard, however, and many people continue to fear that even these newer agents are "bad for the liver," when in fact they are quite safe when used properly.

I had it too.... (from a tanning bed) YUCK!!!! Just a small spot under my arm. The Doctor gave me Grifulvin (I never took it).... I just used OTC Lamisil. It is HARD to get rid of as it usually thrives on moist warm areas.
I would try the Lamisil and you have to be faithful about it.
Make sure to take a bleach cleaner and give your bathroom a good cleaning. Wash your sheets. Do not wear clothing more than one time
|

replied August 14th, 2012
ringworm
what is lamisil where can i get it my daughter has a bad case of scalp ringworm it looks better but not going away she starts school in six days i need it gone by than im stressing out
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Maria_needs_advice
Great information. Thank you for that.
I know from experience that cleansing helps remove toxins from the body and 'ringworm' being a fungal infection a cleanse like colonix will help eliminate it from the body.
|

replied September 8th, 2007
I know it's been a while since you posted this. I have a big ringworm on my leg and it wasn't going away. A friend of mine told me to take something rough to break open the skin on my leg then put the ointment on. I did that and it cleared up real fast.
|

replied February 18th, 2009
late reply
i recently had it on my leg. Eucolyptus oil (non diluted) put on area with a cottn bud did the job for me!
|

replied January 30th, 2011
i have a friend who has a ringworm before and its coming again and again that affects his socila life:(. He had been to differrent derma but sadly it goes away in a moment but it comes back until he followed a program. In just a week,no more ringworm and no more breakout.Smile
|

replied December 18th, 2011
Ringworm Infection and Some Down-to-Earth Information!
Okay. Lot of dimwits out there giving stupid advice and causing alarm for people who have ringworm.

Everyone gets it from a different source: spas, fitness centers, public restrooms, cats, dogs, etc.

When I realized that the spot on my chin was not going away, I went to my regular doctor who prescribed Nystatin. Since that did not help, I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed Ketoconazole Cream 15 grams. Excellent. Must use 2X daily for 4 to 6 weeks and stop for 3 to 5 days. If it reappears, start regime again for 4 to 6 weeks. It's already drying out at Day Five.

I went to adopt a cat and got it at the Rescue. Fortunately, my new Persian did not have it. My advice is to accept it as you accept a bad cold. Read about it, look at pictures, do a self-diagnosis. If it is similar, get professional help along with a prescription. The sooner you go, the better.

It's self-care. Stay away from all the quackery and idiotic suggestions. It's not going to go away with one dose of anything. It is a fungus--and needs an anti-fungal prescription: cream and/or an anti-fungal oral to take in conjunction with it. If you are immune compromised (child, sick, infirm or elderly), you will probably be prescribed both. Stay with the medications. It dies slowly, but does go away. By the way, it does not itch.

Think positive. Good luck.
|

replied May 30th, 2013
I had ringworm for almost three years. I would apply loads of anti-fungal cream but that would only treat the surface. The ringworm would keep coming back.

The cure? CUT OUT DAIRY PRODUCTS. No milk, cheese, butter etc. Read labels because many processed foods contain lactose, milk powder and so on. It's not very hard to do with all this new stuff like rice milk, almond milk and all those soya products (some controversy about these). Even drastically reducing your intake may be enough.

I don't know if it will work for everyone but give it a shot!
|