Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

I May Have Low Blood Sugar ...

...but not sure what the otehr symptoms could be and if they are a part of it or not?

I have been having these symptoms for a good few months now although in the last few weeks they have got progressively worse.

After I have something to eat I have dffering symptoms, anything form having a hot flush, sweating, feeling bloated, abdominal pains, nausea, being physically sick, (this has come on in the last few weeks) prickly sensation to the skin- mainly face sometimes hands, coughing, feeling weak/dizzy/faint.

I also have bad wind which is very uncomfortable, sometimes crippling and is only eased by going to the toilet.

I have also found that if I skip ameal or leave more than 3-4 hours roughly between meals, i feel sweaty, shaky and extremely lightheaded, when I eat somehting after this, instantly feel better but then in the hour following I get all the symptoms mentionned above- sweating, feeling bloated, abdominal pains, nausea, being physically sick, (this has come on in the last few weeks) prickly sensation to the skin- mainly face sometimes hands, coughing, feeling weak/dizzy/faint etc.

I orginally went to my GP when symptoms first started and had a blood test for Thyroid problems and Diabetes, of which both came back fine.

I mentionned a possible food intolerance to my GP who dismissed it saying I don't have that, but unconvinced I tried to make a note of what I have eaten and what symptom it provides. The only correlation I can find is that when I take milk into my body I start to cough and feel like there is something like mucas in my throat/ on my chest, I sometimes cough so bad I feel I'm going to vomit but the more I cough the worse it seems to become. I also found a problem with popcorn, immediately after eating some I developped an uncomfortable stomach, with bad wind and my stomach bloats out so much I could pass as a few months pregnant. The abdominal pains feel like severe stabbing pains.

I presented this to my GP who bascially said that I have IBS, now as I understand it there are no tests to confirm IBS and it's something that is diagnosed after everything has been ruled out. I might have IBS who knows but I haven't been tested for anything else apart from what I've mentionned already, so I felt under the impression my GP just wanted a quick easy diagnosis.

I mentionned how I feel shaky and trembling between meals and how I feel flushed, aweaty and sick after eating and asked for some more tests to be done, but she was convinced it is IBS, even the vomitting which is happening more and more, IBS...

I'm not disputing that I may have IBS, after all she is the Doctor, but I feel t's more than that. When I originally went to the Doctors it took a few good visits for them to actually test me, the first Doctor I went to, said I had "chronic fatigue" I'm never unusually tired! and my current one said it was a normal reaction after you've been eating (???) It was only after constant visits and moanning I got taken seriously. Well, this doesn't feel normal to me! I can't tolerate alcohol at all one glass is enough to make me fel sick! I've never been much of a drinker anyway so I go out and drink soft drinks now, but after just a few pints of coke during the night, I came home and I couldn't stop vomitting.

I am getting to the point now where I feel like I'm never going to know what is wrong, I feel so neurotic about food, all I seem ot be eating at the moment is fruit, veg, fish and scrambled egg- no milk- and water as I am so scared of being sick or being ill. I was eating porridge oats and banana for breakfast but started feeling queasy after eating this too so just eat fruit. I have lost quite alot of weight and I do feel weak all the time but the weak feeling is better than the other symptoms. I just have no energy.

I am taking some peppermint tea capsules before eating, as recommended by GP for the IBS she is convinced I have, but they're not doing anyhting, I feel no better. Just wondering if there is anyone who has had similiar symptoms or knows what I am talking about.

Thanks for listening, I realise it was a long post but I had to put everything down.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2007
Community Volunteer
A doctor huh? That solves everything! Don't listen to them, I can see that with IBS and chronic fatigue they're already not taking you seriously and don't have a clue what they're doing. Those are dust bin diagnoses, nothing more, can't be proven and just ease the doctor's troubles by pushing you out the door with worthless advice or pills. Sad thing is, lame theories like this have been around for decades. Definitely sounds like hypoglycemia is your problem. What test for diabetes did they give you? You need to have a glucose tolerance test, and if you did I need to know what the readings were and how the test was administered before I can help.
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Stan Stepanic wrote:
A doctor huh? That solves everything! Don't listen to them, I can see that with IBS and chronic fatigue they're already not taking you seriously and don't have a clue what they're doing. Those are dust bin diagnoses, nothing more, can't be proven and just ease the doctor's troubles by pushing you out the door with worthless advice or pills. Sad thing is, lame theories like this have been around for decades. Definitely sounds like hypoglycemia is your problem. What test for diabetes did they give you? You need to have a glucose tolerance test, and if you did I need to know what the readings were and how the test was administered before I can help.

Hello, thanks for the reply. They did a blood test - also tested my blood for thyroid problems but when the results came back they said everything was normal, but I feel far form normal Sad

Do you think all the symptoms I have are related to hypoglycaemia as I wondered whetehr I may have a food intolerance?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2007
Community Volunteer
Food intolerances are difficult to prove and what you state is easily solved by fixing a sugar problem, so I doubt it. Food intolerances are another one of those 'mystery' illnesses that a few people probably really have, but since it's so hard to prove since there aren't any tests, anyone can say that they have it. I assure you they're not normal. I need to know your results. Did they give you the GTT? What it is is you fast for about 12 hours, go to the lab, they give you a juice consisting of 100g of glucose, before this they take a base reading, and then they take another reading every hour or half hour thereafter for up to six hours. Is this what they did? If so, I need those readings, I know they're not normal but the doctor doesn't get it. Let me explain it briefly, your readings are being read as normal because they are, but only in terms of diabetes, not hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia can be accounted for based simply on the level of glucose in the blood, but it is more accurately determined by the speed the glucose drops, not the level. I need those results.
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Also go get cheacked out for PCOS, I had almost the exsact same problem. It will not show up in the GTT but will with insulin levels tested too.

Hypoglycemia is never always as simple as one thinks, there can be other medical problems behind it.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Hi thanks for the replies,

I didn't have the gtt or have a breakdown of the results of my blood test what you do is just phone them to get your results and they said nothing was wrong. They did a urine test too- (sorry forgot to mention that) I guessed coupled with blood test that was enought determine diabetes and other things. I didn't even realise other tests could be done- I do feel fobbed off now for sure.
I feel everytime I have asked for a certain test I feel like a hypochondriac or like I'm being dramatic, but I just want to know whats wrong and feel I am just being pushed out, well I'm going back this week again as I still have the symptoms. The tablets I am on - Coperdin? (for the IBS i apparently have) aren't doing anything so I want to know...

Sorry I have no results to give you, I don't know whether a complete breakdown of my samples will stll be available to me?
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Zeal wrote:
Also go get cheacked out for PCOS, I had almost the exsact same problem. It will not show up in the GTT but will with insulin levels tested too.

Hypoglycemia is never always as simple as one thinks, there can be other medical problems behind it.

Hello sorry I forgot to add this in my last reply.

My periods and everything are fine, always have been, they are on tme and very light, I don't get pmt or any side effects ... Smile Does it effect your blood sugar ?
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Yes it does, I had majour problems with low blood suger, and you can have normal cycles too. Its all related to insulin resistence, its what happens when one produces to much insulin. It took reading a forum to find that out as doctors are not very aware.

Hope you find out what your problem is, good luck.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Zeal wrote:
Yes it does, I had majour problems with low blood suger, and you can have normal cycles too. Its all related to insulin resistence, its what happens when one produces to much insulin. It took reading a forum to find that out as doctors are not very aware.

Hope you find out what your problem is, good luck.

You see that wasnt even mentionned to me. I dont think they have a clue, I have had more help and guidance from hre in a few replies than I have in the months of going back and fore to the GP. So stupid.

Thank you! Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2007
Community Volunteer
Ask for the GTT and it doesn't hurt to get tested for other things.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
hello and welcome,

You have already received some good advice about the GTT and some other relevant stuff.

I gather from the way you write that you are in the UK or Ireland?
That might make it difficult for you to follow my next advice, which is to try and get yourself to a gastroenterologist (sp?). I suggest it because some of the symptoms you describe do not sound like hypoglycemia (vomiting, for example), and if you are becoming hypoglycemic, (and the shakiness, etc sounds like you are), it could be secondary to a digestive problem or some other underlying issue. Celiac disease is an example which comes to mind, especially if you are in the UK because it is very common over there.

Please keep advocating for yourself and keep pushing for some real answers and not the fob-offs you appear to have been getting to date. I know it is difficult, but your health is the single biggest asset you have. You need to protect it, even if it means being a thorn in the doctor's side.

I am not a medical professional of any sort, so I could be way off-base, but those were the impressions I had while reading this thread.

I hope they help.

-Paula
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2007
Community Volunteer
Celiac is one of the first things I was tested for, it's very easy and doesn't really take any time at all.
|