Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Yeast Infection While Pregnant ..

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
Hello everyone. I recently have found that i have a yeast infection. Now before i was pregnant i seemed to only get them when taking meds for a cold, or flu, or whatever. But i am 14 weeks pregnant, and have one. What would cause this, and is it something that is common in pregnancy. Or is there something i should avoid, or not do to avoid them. Cause we all know how wonderful they really are Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
hahah welcome to my world!!
they suck!
very common during pregnancy.. you just use a normal multi day treatment cream to get rid of them, my doctor recommended femstat because it treats the most strains of yeast out of any of the others.
things you can do to avoid them..
cranberry juice
cut back on sweets
no undies while you sleep
cotton undies
lose fitting pants

just watch them close ive now is a bacterial infection.. fun fun fun!
the joys of pregnancy! Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the advice! I was given the oral pill from my doc. Has anyone ever taken this while pregnant. I just got it yesterday, and i have a bit worried about taking it. I don't know anything about this stuff while pregnant. All i know is there is SO Much stuff you can't do while pregnant.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
Yes u can take... Ur dr. not goin give u nothing you cnt take nor harm your baby
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
ive heard you cannot take it while pregnant.
did you check with your obgyn?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah i called over to the office the day i knew i had one, and they called me back, and said that they would call me in the oral pill. And i said well i am pregnant, and she put me on hold, and came back and said it would still be ok. So i'm not quite sure lol. I didn't take it just in case. But would anything over the counter like creams be ok?
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i know for a fact creams are okay..
im sure other people will input on this one..I personally was just told your couldnt take any oral medication for yeast infections while pregnant.. but if the doctor said it was okay id assume itd be okay.

im sure other people will comment on this..

hahah if it is safe id be pissed!!
ive begged for it and i always just get cream, which doesnt work half as well.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
haha! Yeah that's why i was like YAY for the pill. But i will wait and see if i get any more comments before i take it. Thanks for your time, and advice Smile
|

replied May 27th, 2011
One Day Pill
My doctor just prescribed me a one day pill and they said it was fine for me to take it because I am 22 weeks along. I asked my friend as well and she has taken it for all 3 of her pregnancies and her babies are very healthy.
|

replied June 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
no problem.. im going to look it up now though.. im interested now in finding out for myself.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My dr prescribes the oral pill whenever I get an infection. He looks good in all of his u/s so I guess that it doesn't affect him. I think that you will be fine though.
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Hi, I am 9 weeks 1 day pregnant today and would like to know what are the symptoms of yeast infection.

I do feel itch down there for quite sometimes but it does not burn or feel anything when I pee. Unless I scratch it. The itch is unbearable, of coz.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
believe me I have unfortunately become an expert of yeast infections just recently!! Sad I have had a reoccuring one that wont go away with this pregnancy!!

symptoms can include feeling a constant itching or burning sensation down below and a white clumpy discharge. The longer you have it the worse the irritation becomes!

I have been treated for thrush 4 times in this pregnancy and never once been given the oral pill because I was told not to take it either. I have had creams and pessarys (sp?) Which are definitely safe to use. Although I cant see why your doctor would give it to you if it wasnt safe Confused
Best things you can do to avoid them are what vanessa said above, and use unperfumed products in your bath like soap, bubble bath etc, and make sure your drinking enough fluids, always use panty liners too esp, while pregnant! It might be an idea for your partner to be treated too, this is just done with the same cream that you could use. It can be passed backwards and forwards between you both really easily through intercourse and he may have no symptoms at all Smile
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
oral pill
The oral yeast infection pill is not a cure for a yeast infection. it is a easy way to subside the symptoms, and leaves the infection dormant. If you've noticed if you've taken the pill you are still getting yeast infections a month or two later? Its just an easy way out.
The only way to cure it is the nasty old fashioned ways with the creams.
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
HELP
I'm 11 weeks along with twins - my third pregnancy - and I've had this yeast infection for almost 4 weeks!!!! I tried the one day over the counter cream, a prescribed 3-day cream and just finished a 7-day over the counter cream and I STILL HAVE IT! I've gone pantiless as much as possible - worn only cotton undies and eaten yogurt everyday! What else can I do?????
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Other ways to treat a yeast infection
Ok,
You have to be careful doing this b/c you are not supposed to douche but you can mix 1 tsp baking soda with 1/4 cup water and gently apply it to your area. Don't be forceful with it, very gently apply it. Baking soda will make the area less acidic and it will bring some relief. You can also take it orally (look it up online) but you might want to check with your doctor b/c doing that for more than a week can raise your blood pressure but people do swear by it. Try it. I just got one and I've been applying it and it gives me some relief. Also you can grapefruit seed extract. Mine just started today and I've started taking the Grapefruit seed extract today. It can take a few days to really kick in but it does work. My friend got a candida infection (yeast infection that gets into your bloodstream--its serious) and she treated herself with this and it went away. You get it at the health food store and take 2 twice a day. It kills yeast and will treat your infection if you take it for several days. You should also eat a lot of citrus fruit, which kills it and also avoid any sugar which feeds the bacteria. Also make sure you iron the crotch of your panties even after washing them, b/c they can survive the wash believe it or not. My doctor told me that when I wasn't getting rid of it last time and it worked.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
This may sound gross but it does help take the yeast infection applicator and fill it with live bacteria yoghurt (like activia) a few times so u get enough in there and then with your fingers smear around itchy outer area then put on a pad! When I was told this for the first time I thought "disgusting" but it felt better after the first day, then second day it felt it was gone but I did it a third just in case. Smile. Hope that helps and it's oh natural, and when I have a bladder infection I drink a liter of 100% cranberry juice (not cocktail - go to health food store) and liter water and oh natural way to get rid of bladder infection!
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2010
Yeast Infection Relief At Home
Whenever you feel itch, dis-color of skin and liquid swelling in and outside of your vagina, get ready to deal with this complication. Because, it may be yeast infection. Everyone "Prevention is always better than cure". But unfortunately you might have Yeast Infection, its quick treatment needed as quick as possible meet your family doctor or an expert. if you hesitate and want to treat your vaginal infection at home,
|

replied April 4th, 2010
I am 36 weeks pregnant and have had 3 yeast infections through the course of that time. My OB told me not to take diflucan (pill) and take the 7 day treatment. She said that for some reason the 7 day treatment works better than the 5, 3, or 1... Then again, I have had three. I have always been prone to them though... As much as it is gross, I would go with the creams.
|

replied April 6th, 2010
If you are pregnant I would refrain from taking any prescriptions, as this could be harmful to your baby. Natural remedies are the safest way to treat yeast infections especially if you are pregnant. check out this article on possible natural treatments.
|