Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Having Interracial Baby

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am in an interracial relationship that has been going on for 3 years. I just found out I was pregnant. I know that this is something I probably should have looked into before, but I have a few questions for anyone who can help me. My fiance and I both have various health issues, but nothing life threatening, that will most likely be passed to our children. We have been told by many people that by having an interracial child we are putting them at risk for other diseases and disorders. I know there are plenty of mixed children from many different races now a days and I didn't know if this was ture. Are we really putting our child at risk?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Not anymore of a risk then two people of the same race with many health issues.
I wouldnt worry about it.
My husband is of a different race and we are expecting our first child, and the only thing we have ever come across is elders of his culture giving us that 'he should be married to his own culture' look.
Just enjoy being pregnant and dont worry about all the interracial nonsense, the more you make a deal about it, the more of a deal it will be.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I agree!

I'm caucasion and my boyfriend is Vietnamese and we have a beautiful, healthy baby boy.

Don't worry about it! Just enjoy your pregnancy!
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Thank you ladies! Ya we have a lot of people who disapprove of our relationship. When I found out I was pregnant I was very ecited, people kind of ruined it for me. I have faith and I know our child will turn out how he is intended to be.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I have actually never heard about "health issues" before just b/c of having a child with another person that is a different race than you. Of course, family history plays a part...........
I am of a mixed race - Caucasian and Korean - no health issues here with myself or my brother, or my nieces and nephews who are also mixed.
I wouldn't worry at all - just eat healthy and stay active and take your pre-natals! And if anyone gives you any negatives comments about having an interracial child, completely ignore them and remember how beautiful your child will be - getting the best of both worlds, so to speak!
Anyone who said something to me about that issue would be very sorry they opened their mouth!!!!
Congrats and good luck....I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy! Wink
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Experienced User
People who make negative comments about interacial babies are just jealous, cause they are usually so cute, gorgeous, and excentric. Yay.
|

replied June 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i could see the baby maybe having a few more issues.. for example african americans have sickle cell that can be passed on while that is impossible in hispanics.
but as far as that goes we all have the ability to pass down tons of genetic disorders to our children. my husband and i are both caucasion but we have in our family histories
stroke
heart attack
cancers of every kind
diabetes
heart disease
addiction
the list goes on and on
enjoy your baby and dont worry about what anyone says..every child has risks of genetic disorders regardless of race
|

replied June 28th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
using the sickle cell example, it seems to me that being an interracial couple would be an advantage in that case because there would be a lot less likelyhood of having the disease than if there were two african american parents because then they would both have more chance of carrying and potentially passing the gene to their child. just like my parents would have had more likelihood of passing diabetes down to me if they were both full blood native rather than having some scottish genes mixed in there. the fact is, mixing different gene pools is probably healthier when it comes to giving the child a better chance at avoiding genetic disorders. plus, variety is the spice of life! all children are blessings but children with interracial parents are some of the most beautiful and unique in the world.
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2007
Re: Having Interracial Baby
SoManyQuestions wrote:
I am in an interracial relationship that has been going on for 3 years. I just found out I was pregnant. I know that this is something I probably should have looked into before, but I have a few questions for anyone who can help me. My fiance and I both have various health issues, but nothing life threatening, that will most likely be passed to our children. We have been told by many people that by having an interracial child we are putting them at risk for other diseases and disorders. I know there are plenty of mixed children from many different races now a days and I didn't know if this was ture. Are we really putting our child at risk?

I have met with two genealogists (because I am a paranoid first time mother), and neither of them indicated that my baby would have any additional issues do to my husband and I being of different races. I am greek and my husband is pacific islander. I am focusing on the miracle of being pregnant, and wake up every morning knowing that I am 1 day closer to meeting my long awaited child. There are many people out there that disagree with interracial relationships. DO NOT let these ignorant people get you down by scaring you into thinking there is something wrong with your baby. Think positive thoughts and how beautiful your baby will be.
|

replied February 1st, 2010
I am in the same boat Im black and my fiancee is white and we are both super excited to welcome our little lady into the world!!!!
|