Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Severe Headache, Dizziness, And Fainting (all Tests Neg)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 20 year old female. Last Sunday, I started having a really bad headache and thinking it was just a migraine, I took some advil and continued on with the father's day dinner we were having. My husband and I went home afterwards and my eyes were burning, so I figured I should take my temp and it was 100.7. The next day I went to work, and once my fever got up to 102, my boss allowed me to go home. About 2 hours later I went to the doctor b/c in addition to my fever, I was extremely nauseated and could not keep any food down, and I had a stiff and painful neck. When they took my temp, it was up to 102.6. After testing me for strep, pnumonia, and kidney infection and all of them coming back negative, she determined that I just had a virus. However, she told me that if anything got worse, that I should go to the ER and get checked for meningitis. I ended up going, and the spinal tap came back normal. They sent me home concurring that I simply had a virus. My doctor gave me oxycodone and antivert to help with my headache and dizziness. The meds helped for about a day. Then on Saturday morning, I woke up, and my fever was back, and my headache was worse than ever. I began having alot of dizziness. I started fainting or collapsing when I was walking. After one fainting spell, I got immensely confused, and didn't really know anything about where I was or what I was doing. My husband took me back to the ER and they kept me overnight. Sunday, they did an MRI/MRA which came back looking relatively normal. Despite my inability to walk without assistance, they sent me home saying that it was probably still just the virus doing this to me. My normal doctor keeps saying that my symptoms should be gone by now, but they arent, they are progressively getting worse. I am getting rather worried b/c I can't focus on anything, my vision is blurring and doubling, I feel as though everything is constantly spinning, my head feels as though it is going to be able to explode, I can't do much for myself right now, and because of this I may end up losing my job b/c I can't go to work. Does anyone know what could be wrong with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BabyThespy
|

replied March 6th, 2009
My son has all the same symptoms except no fever. He is 11 and has had this terrible headache for a month. Did you ever find out what was wrong with you and how long did you have it?
|

replied October 16th, 2009
UNABLE TO WALK AFTER FLU OR VIRUS
my daughter who is 12 has the same thing after getting the n1h1 virus. she is dizzy and her legs go out from under her with excruciating pain all over them very sensitive to the touch, You are not crazy and you are not alone. the doctors just don't know what is causing these symptoms to continue after the flu is suppossedly gone. Im afraid that she may not be able to walk properly and might fall out in school or public I keep her home and a close eye on her. Bottom line is there are new strains of swine n1h1 that are baffling the doctors or either they don't want to send us all into a panic so they don't disclose everything they really know. I just pray thats all i can do and continue to seek answers. If anyone else has anything to add or has had friends or family members with these types of symptoms please email me it is very urgent to get a handle on this and find out whats really going on our lives may depend on it.
|

replied October 16th, 2009
My 11 year old son (comment #2 above) ended up having the enterovirus (coxackie B) and had the headache for about 4 months. He had dizziness through part of it and sensitive points that hurt. He eventually got better. The doctors did not think it was enterovirus at first because it was the wrong season, but that means nothing, especially in a hot climate. I gave him a lot of vitamins to build up his immune system and I think it helped him. Good luck!
|

replied October 27th, 2009
My son has also had N1H1 about a week ago and then today he woke up and was unable to walk, due to the horrible pain in his legs. I took him to the dr who just thinks it is part of the flu virus, but very frustrating when he is 11 and unable to go to school because he cant walk. I just wish there was something they could do or have a better anwser.
|

replied November 4th, 2009
My nine yr old son had a severe headache, fever, throwing up. Doctor tested him for H1N1 and menigitis both test came back negative. Symptoms lasted about 3 to 4 days and subsided for about a week. Now they call me from school that he threw up again he has a headache tiredness throwing up.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
dizziness, headache HELp!
my 14 year ikd daughter has had trouble on and off for over a year. Lasat winter she missed 2 1/2 months of school. Her symptoms began as a fever and sore throat and being tired. led to bad headache and dizziness and bearly able to get out of bed. We saw numerous doctors including a rheumatologist and neurologist had many tests done including a head Cat scan and EMG and many blood tests! Nothihg! Got better and was back to normal last summer and fall and most of this winter until Maarch and then the symptoms have returned! I'm told virus, virus, virus! Very frustrated and so is she! Now they are scheduling an MRI of the head. Any ideas out there would be grreatly appreciated!
|

replied September 14th, 2010
I'm 18 and I've been sick for a week now with all flu symptoms like severe headache,runny nose, dizzyness and faintness,ect. So I went to the er the other night and they ran blood and urine and xray test. all they told me is that I have the stomach flu and a viral infection that they don't know what it is. I'm also type 1 diabetic. So I called a different hospital in the area and told them everything from how long I've been sick to my symptoms and my hospital visit. This hospital told me I didn't get treatment at all and now I'm scheduled for test at the hospital tomorrow. Basically I still am having all symptoms and they aren't going away by themselves ans whatever virus is causing these problems doctors don't know what it is. Though still its dangerous. I got curious and did research all the after problems like headache and weak body and ect.(which I know them I got all of them) are signs of mentingitis. It can be caused by the flu and other viral infections. Its a dangerous viral infection. Look it up.
|

replied October 1st, 2010
Weird virus, chronic exhaustion and arm, leg pains.
I've just had the same thing. Came after a heavy drinking session. Following day almost collapsed. Day after same thing, could hardly walk but no real signs of congestion. Just headaches and disorientation. Went to a&e as was scared by Monday thinking suspected alcohol poisoning, also started getting weird pains in arms and legs. Blood and urine tests came back normal and they said I had a virus. Have been at home since Monday (it's fri now) taking vit c, ibuprofen and eating regularly and the chronic fatigue is finally starting to pass. On Monday I actually felt like my head was going to explode and had mini breakdown thinking I'm going crazy. How could I feel so ill but all vital signs showing normal? The problem with whatever I've had is it doesn't come with trad cough or sneeze just head disorientation so you just don't look ill. Hope anyone else who has this gets thru it with some tlc and some of the above.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
I'm 24 and I was at work yesterday... I was feeling fine and all of a sudden I felt dizzy and was going to pass out then came the vomiting and thumping head aches I could barely stand... I haven't been to the doctors yet as I think most of them are stupid. For you guys who still have a thumping head ach use pure lavander oil must be pure!!and mint leaves (crush mint leaves) apply on temples, forehead and back of neck. This will stop the thumping head aches. As for the stomach chew chalk tablets... It will settle the stomach. I hope these tips help you guys
|

replied December 17th, 2012
Migraine, high temp and can't walk
Hi, my son has had a high fever for 3 days with a cronic migraine that calpol & ibuprofen won't touch. Today he could not walk properly as has intense calf pain, Temp now normal but Docs said virus???
|

replied December 17th, 2012
Hi, my son has had a high fever for 3 days with a cronic migraine that calpol & ibuprofen won't touch. Today he could not walk properly as has intense calf pain, Temp now normal but Docs said virus???
|

replied April 6th, 2013
EAR INFECTION
My 8 year old son had a lot of headache for more than 3 months and we though it was because of an ear infection. The Drs gave him medicine for the "ear infection" for three months and wasnt good enough he was missing school and was very dizzy and lots of headaches, he was in bed most of the time and i would pick him up early from school every day as he was complaining of pain all the time.
When they FINALLY made an x ray of his chest because he has little asthma and they though it could be it, they found out he had THE MASTOIDE BONE INFECTED, i was like, ok, what is this? and i almost fainted when they told me it could be FATAL. The Mastoide bobe is located behing the ear, the little bone, and its because the medicines for the ear infection didnt work so the infection "infected" the mastoide bone! They put some tubes in his ears and drained all the stuff inside the bone and HE IS MY SON AGAIN! HE IS BACK TO NORMAL!!!!!!!! i mention all this just in case something sounds familiar with your child, believe me, i fight and fight and fight with each doctor because they didnt do nothing, apparentely everything was fine, but we know our kids, i knew something else was wrong. Keep pushing the doctor "buttons" like i did, thanks to this my son is living a normal life again, the Drs. didnt even believe this mastoide bone was infected cause its very rare, but hey! it happen to us!
Blessings and get better!
|