Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Gangrene Appendix

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I had my appendix taken out 10 days ago. I went in for the follow up visit with the surgeon on Friday and he said it was gangrene. It did not rupture. I am a 35 year old female in excellent health- only prior operations were c-sections and tonsils. I never get sick! Telling me it was gangrene really bothered me. The doctor said pretty much the cause was just bad luck. I asked if anything else was gangrene that he noticed and he said no. I asked something else could be and he said I would be in a lot of pain if there was. Truthfully, I wasn't even in that much appendix pain -- so I must tolerate pain well. I am in such shock that I had something gangrene inside of me! So my questions are this:

How long does it take for something to become gangrene?

Should I follow up with more internal tests to make sure I have nothing else in there that is gangrene?

I was only in pain for a day prior to the surgery. If something else is gangrene will I only know at the very last minute? Or is there something I can do now?

Thanks for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2007
Re: Gangrene Appendix
leenaclue wrote:
I had my appendix taken out 10 days ago. I went in for the follow up visit with the surgeon on Friday and he said it was gangrene. It did not rupture. I am a 35 year old female in excellent health- only prior operations were c-sections and tonsils. I never get sick! Telling me it was gangrene really bothered me. The doctor said pretty much the cause was just bad luck. I asked if anything else was gangrene that he noticed and he said no. I asked something else could be and he said I would be in a lot of pain if there was. Truthfully, I wasn't even in that much appendix pain -- so I must tolerate pain well. I am in such shock that I had something gangrene inside of me! So my questions are this:

How long does it take for something to become gangrene?

Should I follow up with more internal tests to make sure I have nothing else in there that is gangrene?

I was only in pain for a day prior to the surgery. If something else is gangrene will I only know at the very last minute? Or is there something I can do now?

Thanks for your help.

How did they know prior to the operation that it was your appendix? Was your blood or urine off? Did they do any CTscans or ultrasounds?

Ive had right sided lower ab pain for 6 months and had all those tests, and was told IBS and trapped gas ( gas was trapped where my pain is located , found by sonogram)

Truthfully the appendix is the only organ I have ever heard of ever becoming gangrene, so you should worry about other body parts doing that.
|

replied June 30th, 2007
Thanks Lisa,
Well, I had pain for 2 days. I went to the emergency room and they took blood first and my white count was elevated, then I had to drink a ton of a nasty liquid so they can do a CT SCAN and that showed a very enlarged appendix. Afterward they performed the surgery. It didn't burst but results came back as gangrene. I'm still very nervous and I am hoping I get others to respond to my post-- so please if anyone has had the same experience please post!!
I do plan on seeing my regular doctor in two weeks but the more I learn about this the more questions I will be able to ask him.
|

replied July 1st, 2007
leenaclue wrote:
Thanks Lisa,
Well, I had pain for 2 days. I went to the emergency room and they took blood first and my white count was elevated, then I had to drink a ton of a nasty liquid so they can do a CT SCAN and that showed a very enlarged appendix. Afterward they performed the surgery. It didn't burst but results came back as gangrene. I'm still very nervous and I am hoping I get others to respond to my post-- so please if anyone has had the same experience please post!!
I do plan on seeing my regular doctor in two weeks but the more I learn about this the more questions I will be able to ask him.

My CT was a normal appendix along with everything else. Yes that stuff you have to drink is nasty, but its better than colonoscopy prep which I also had..lol

I met a friend online that also had a gangerene appendix and hers was taken out, If I remember correctly I think hers was also shriveled up. I will email her and ask her for you.
|

replied July 1st, 2007
thank you!
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Appendix
In november I had my appendix out. Do to pain and my white cell count was elevated and I had a fever. After having it out I as told I did have an appendicitious and I got it out just in time. Give around one to two months for it to heal. You will still have a little pain where the incition was. Its wierd because I still feel a wierd type of senation where the incition was. I think you will be fine though!
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I had the same experience, 18 days ago I was in such a horrible burning pain in all my abdomen. Later on the same day the pain was less and mostly focussed on the right side of my abdomen. My whole abdomen was swollen as well as my face and parts of my body. I went to the hospital, they did urine and blood test, x-rays and CT Scan. In few hours I was in the operation room having my grangreous appendix removed. The surgeon did an open incision since the appendix was very much hidden and stuck on the colon and already created a bad infection all around. Eighteen days have passed and I still wondering of the effects of having a gangreous appendix, I am still feeling discomfort around the incision and at the right bottom part the incision. I have no idea of the consequences of it or if there is none. I have done a lot of walking on my own speed and it has helped me to get rid of those horrible gasses. I was on a very strong antibiotics and now I am just waiting to follow up with my family physician not with the surgeon. It was a complete shock to me since I never expect this to happen, I am a very healthy woman (48 years old) and I have lot of concerns in my mind about this terrible experience.
|

replied February 9th, 2010
Hi am a 24 year old female. At the end of OCtober I had H1N1 and then the beginning of November I had appendicitis, and I had to have emergency surgery to have it removed. It didn't burst but the doc said it was leaking. Anyway, now I am experiencing a lot of hair thinning. I feel like I've lost 30% of my hair and its all over. Is this normal?
|