Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Emphysema worsens with humidity

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Hi, my father who is 78 has had emphysema for atleast 5 years. During those 5 years I have noticed his breathing has become worse. The breathing becomes worse when the humidity is high, or becomes stressed. He takes special inhaler steroids and puffers. Here are my questions.

1) Humidity in the UK is quite high, how do I control the humidity within the house to the correct levels for emphysema?

2) Are there any new emphysema medications in the UK?

3) What are the best breathing exercises for emphysema?

4) what are the best foods for emphysema?

5) Will oxygen help relieve his breathing?

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
John Bartlett
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Well unfortunately I believe there is no simple cure for emphysema, other than maybe a lung transplant. To control humidity, buy one or two dehumidifiers and put one maybe in his room and another in the kitchen or something, these suck the water vapor out of the air. If he caught emphysema from smoking, he needs to quit immideatly as once he quits the emphysema will progress MUCH slower than if he still smoked. That's all i've got hope it helps some. Good luck

Eklipse
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I agree. You could get a dehumidifier or two. Make sure he does not smoke, and make sure no one around him smokes. As far as the other stuff goes, I think talking to his doctor would be your best bet.
|

replied June 28th, 2007
I have COPD/Severe,Emphysema etc. from a near drowning accident in 1987 and have gotten a lot worse over the years and there is not much you can really do except as said above (lung transplant etc) but there are a few things that sometimes help keep people comfortable,but the best thing for humidity (hot days,humid etc.) is A/C the best thing,I would die without our A/C we can not go anywhere without it in the vehicle and cant go anywhere that doesnt have it like stores etc. but I pretty much go from my A/C house to A/C car to more A/C places if I have things to do on those days or stay inside in my Air conditioned house on those humid days! its not fun at all! it feels like someone sitiing on you and witha pillow over your house and in an oven all at the same time,take it from someone with 25 % of lungs that work.and Im as close to a transplant as you can get pretty much but still too scared to take even a leap to be on a list! but anyway stay in A/C on humid days! thats the best thing anyone including doctors will tell you. Good luck!!! take care
|

replied May 13th, 2008
My mother has emphysema and is on oxygen. The oxygen helps her very much. Without it she can't get enough oxygen to her organs. A breathing excercise she does often is to try to slowly blow out all the air out of her lungs several times a day. With emphysema the real problem is the lungs hold the air in and don't push it out well to breath in new fresh air. Hummidity bothers her as well. Air conditioning helps.
|

replied May 17th, 2010
emphysema
That is so true. i have severe emphysema with only 25% total lung usage. i work full time and have to do the same breathing exercise to get through the day. sometimes i get so out of breath and so scared. i am so afraid to die. i got emphysema/c.o.p.d from cigarette smoking. i quit 13 yrs ago otherwise i would be dead now. humidity does bother me and i live in fla. it is awful in the summer months. air cond. is great. hope my input helps. i wish there was a cure for this horrible disease.
|

replied May 18th, 2010
EMPHYSEMA IS FROM CIGARETTE SMOKING
Rickman wrote:
I have COPD/Severe,Emphysema etc. from a near drowning accident in 1987 and have gotten a lot worse over the years and there is not much you can really do except as said above (lung transplant etc) but there are a few things that sometimes help keep people comfortable,but the best thing for humidity (hot days,humid etc.) is A/C the best thing,I would die without our A/C we can not go anywhere without it in the vehicle and cant go anywhere that doesnt have it like stores etc. but I pretty much go from my A/C house to A/C car to more A/C places if I have things to do on those days or stay inside in my Air conditioned house on those humid days! its not fun at all! it feels like someone sitiing on you and witha pillow over your house and in an oven all at the same time,take it from someone with 25 % of lungs that work.and Im as close to a transplant as you can get pretty much but still too scared to take even a leap to be on a list! but anyway stay in A/C on humid days! thats the best thing anyone including doctors will tell you. Good luck!!! take care
|

replied August 14th, 2010
Emphysema and weather
I disagree with most of the comments.. Used to smoke until 6 years ago. I am 64 and was diagnosed with COPD 2 years after I gave up. I live in Southern Spain where the weather is similar to Miami. A/C affects me because I feel my voice and chest get worse when it is on, so I try to rely on natural breezes thru my apartments windows.I cannot stand the A/C in the car either..I swim half a mile every morning from June thru October and find that helps my breathing more than anything else. I find that my quick eating habit worsens my condition, so try as much as possible to slowly digest my food. I try and walk every day. I think that everyone with Emphysema handles it according to their own body, metabolism etc., and weather conditions don't play much into it. Best regards to whoever reads this. Loco Alan
|