Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Enlarged testicle : testes doubled in size

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
My right testicle is double its normal size. It doesnt have a spot or bump etc instead it seems to be uniformly swollen and very hard. Theres a slight ache which may come and go not sure if it disappears or if I just stop noticing it. Noticed it 2 nights ago, I teach swimming and am in and out of showers constantly so id be surprised if it was there for long before I noticed it. Fairly freaked out - does testicular cancer cause a uniform swelling like this, does it appear suddenly. Will be going to doctor as soon as I can. Any ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Sexual Health - Men Answer A3033
An enlarged testicle can be attributed to several reasons or conditions:

1. Testicular tumor- this type of tumor is usually painless and grows slowly over a longer period of time;

2. Testicular inflammation (orchitis) - inflammation develops in a few days and is very painful and warm. A fever can be present;

3. Inflammation of the epididymis (epididymitis) – presents the same symptoms as during orchitis plus some symptoms of urinary tract infection (frequent, burning urination);

4. Hydrocela- during this condition an excessive amount of liquid is collected in the space between the visceral and parietal testicular coverings. The reasons for hydroclea can be various (trauma, infection, tumor);

5. Spermatocela- this condition manifest as enlargement of some of the smaller spermatic canal. It is a painless cystic formation located above or behind the testicle and filled with sperm;

6. Varicocela – enlarged vein plexus (plexus pampiniformis) due to disturbed circulation in the testicular or spermatic vein. A variocela is slightly painful and develops over a longer period. This condition disturbs spermatogenesis;

7. Scrotal hernia-organs from the abdominal cave (usually omentum or intestines) can be inborn or acquired. A scrotal hernia is usually a little painful and can retreat spontaneously but reoccurs later. Scrotal hernias can be life threatening if the hernia stacks in the scrotum and its blood supply becomes disturbed (incarceration).

There are also some less likely diagnostic options such as testicular torsion, haematocele...but you should consult a urologist as soon as possible.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.