Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Full Mouth Extraction , Dentures (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I am new here, I signed up to discuss my situation with someone and I really need advice. For years, I've had problems with my teeth. I'm 28 now. I've put thousands into my teeth. They were always giving me pain and kept breaking off and falling out. Also the work kept falling out even though I saw many different dentists. I couldn't keep up with all of it after a while, I'd get work done then more teeth got bad, it was horrible and I couldn't afford it. It got to the point I had a hard time eating and wouldn't smile with my mouth open. I've even had dentists accuse me of being a drug user when I am not. I tried so hard to take care of them. My uncle had the same problem and had to get dentures in his 30's. I decided a few weeks ago to get a denture consult. I know I'm very young, but my teeth just keep breaking off. I would have needed almost 20,000 dollars more in dental work. And given with my track record, the work would most likely come out anyway. I got sick constantly and I believe my teeth contributed to a lot of that. I decided to get the dentures. A full top plate, and a partial on the bottom. I have my extractions 4 days ago. I had 21 teeth taken out in one day under anesthesia. I woke up feeling not too bad. My immediate dentures were already in. I was so happy. Not for long. After the anesthesia totally wore off, I couldn't keep the dentures in. I knew it would be a very strange feeling with fake teeth, but not like that. I had to take them out, they made me gag and cough and the saliva was so so bad I kept gagging on that. And it kept running all over my face. I tried to put them in several times, it wouldn't work. My front teeth were extracted and without the dentures, my lip keeps sticking to them and I'm afraid I won't heal or that I'll get dry socket. I'm terrified that I'll never be able to wear them. Also when I did have them in for a few minutes, when I swallowed the saliva, It made the dentures cause a sucking action with my front extractions which terrified me. I told the dentist about this. He said just to leave them out and come back Monday. I have to go back to work Tuesday. I don't want to go back without teeth. I tried adhesive and the goop made me gag even more and they still dropped right out of my mouth. They said they would adjust them if need be, but the said to expect them a little loose. This was no (a little loose), this was they were dropping right out of my mouth. Also my gums were so sore when i tried to put in the bottom partials, it was excruciating. I feel like I'll NEVER be able to wear those things. I have gone without teeth for 4 days. I don't know how I'll go to work like this, or how I can keep eating only liquid. I can't. I'm terrified. Every time I try to put them in, I choke on the saliva. I got them to look better, now I look worse. I tried salt on the back of the tongue, numbing throat spray, everything. Please help me, I don't get my nicer dentures for another 5 months, I can't look and eat like this until then. I look like a monster. HELP!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KokoPuff
|

replied June 25th, 2007
Heather,

I probably can't offer you any practical advice, but I thought I'd try giving you some emotional support.

I have periodontitis, and I thought I was doing so well with it---I've been having great checkups and my pockets were shrinking---but since Wednesday I've been having one of the worst tooth/teeth infections I've had in a long while, maybe ever. I've been megadosing on ester-C and I think, I HOPE, it's slowly getting better---managed to eat a few sandwiches yesterday, but not without significant discomfort. But it's been making me more seriously consider dentures myself, which have been in the back of my mind for a few years now.

So I'm always looking now and then for personal experiences with them. I've read horror stories like yours and also of some perfectly wonderful experiences with them. I've also worried about having to go "toothless" in front of people---my vanity would hate that. Why can't you just wait til your "good" dentures are ready before your extraction? Is the extraction done all at once? Or do you have to go with varying degrees of toothlessness for days or weeks as it's done gradually? Do the dentists give you some sort of video---hopefuly not too graphic---that "walks" you through the process, giving some sort of timeline to the process from start to finish?

Well, I don't want to overwhelm you with all these questions when you're feeling so bad. I know how stressful dental problems and DENTAL WORK can be. I wish I---or somebody else---good give you some good and FAST advice on how to deal with your situation. I've often been disappointed in how little support you get on this forum---all the "0"'s in the "Replies" boxes.

Hang in there, and good luck.
|

replied April 8th, 2011
Hello, I new here, on Tuesday I will be a having a full mouth extraction and will have to heal for 3-4 weeks before impressions can be made for my dentures. I am only 34 years old. I will take a couple of days off and when I return to work I will just wear a face mask. I can't afford to be out of work for 3-4 weeks. So if it helps, just get a face mask and go back to work.
|

replied July 8th, 2007
Re: Full Mouth Extraction , Dentures
Heatherhassoul wrote:
I am new here, I signed up to discuss my situation with someone and I really need advice. For years, I've had problems with my teeth. I'm 28 now. I've put thousands into my teeth. They were always giving me pain and kept breaking off and falling out. Also the work kept falling out even though I saw many different dentists. I couldn't keep up with all of it after a while, I'd get work done then more teeth got bad, it was horrible and I couldn't afford it. It got to the point I had a hard time eating and wouldn't smile with my mouth open. I've even had dentists accuse me of being a drug user when I am not. I tried so hard to take care of them. My uncle had the same problem and had to get dentures in his 30's. I decided a few weeks ago to get a denture consult. I know I'm very young, but my teeth just keep breaking off. I would have needed almost 20,000 dollars more in dental work. And given with my track record, the work would most likely come out anyway. I got sick constantly and I believe my teeth contributed to a lot of that. I decided to get the dentures. A full top plate, and a partial on the bottom. I have my extractions 4 days ago. I had 21 teeth taken out in one day under anesthesia. I woke up feeling not too bad. My immediate dentures were already in. I was so happy. Not for long. After the anesthesia totally wore off, I couldn't keep the dentures in. I knew it would be a very strange feeling with fake teeth, but not like that. I had to take them out, they made me gag and cough and the saliva was so so bad I kept gagging on that. And it kept running all over my face. I tried to put them in several times, it wouldn't work. My front teeth were extracted and without the dentures, my lip keeps sticking to them and I'm afraid I won't heal or that I'll get dry socket. I'm terrified that I'll never be able to wear them. Also when I did have them in for a few minutes, when I swallowed the saliva, It made the dentures cause a sucking action with my front extractions which terrified me. I told the dentist about this. He said just to leave them out and come back Monday. I have to go back to work Tuesday. I don't want to go back without teeth. I tried adhesive and the goop made me gag even more and they still dropped right out of my mouth. They said they would adjust them if need be, but the said to expect them a little loose. This was no (a little loose), this was they were dropping right out of my mouth. Also my gums were so sore when i tried to put in the bottom partials, it was excruciating. I feel like I'll NEVER be able to wear those things. I have gone without teeth for 4 days. I don't know how I'll go to work like this, or how I can keep eating only liquid. I can't. I'm terrified. Every time I try to put them in, I choke on the saliva. I got them to look better, now I look worse. I tried salt on the back of the tongue, numbing throat spray, everything. Please help me, I don't get my nicer dentures for another 5 months, I can't look and eat like this until then. I look like a monster. HELP!
my friend has had dentures for 15 yrs now and she says they just take a lil getting use to.She felt like she was gonna swallow them.she uses sea bond adhesives.Why is it taking so long to get your nicer dentures?
|

replied March 31st, 2011
Wow I can't believe it, your story matches mine to a tee girlfriend, everything im going through is exactly like you, i bought everything on the market,im going on 2 wks now missing work etc and still can't get my dentures in for the pain, i can only stand them for a minute i can't talk eat walk anything with them in my mouth... it feels like a sharp knife cutting into certain parts of my gums, let me know if you find anything that Helps....
|

replied December 16th, 2012
i feel your pain
i'm 25 and just recently as in 2 days ago had my teeth extracted...i know your frustation and nobody seems to understand how aggervating it is to put them in and keep them there.
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Full Dentures
I just joined this site because two months have gone by since I had my teeth extracted and had immediate dentures put in and I'm still having so many problems. First of all I understand totally what you've been going through. I realize you first posted in June but hopefully you'll check back and read this. It has been a nightmare. My first dentist made me immediate dentures. They were wrong. The teeth all went inward, which made me look so weird. I complained so he said he make a second set. The second set took about a month to make and they were so big he had to fill them with silicone to make them fit. They are still so big I look like I have horse teeth in my mouth. He was so upset that I didn't like the second dentures he yelled at me and told me he was tired of trying to please me and he was giving me my money back and I could find another dentist. I was devastated. I have found another dentist who agreed with me that neither denture he made me was correct, so he is making me yet another denture. This is going to take another month or so. Another thing I've been dealing with since June 7 th is my fact has been numb since the teeth were extracted. No one knows why. I just made an appointment with a neurologist. All I wanted was to look better I never dreamed this would happen. It's been awful. I'm still eating white rice every night, I've lost 15 lbs. and feel awful and still can't smile. I did report my first dentist to the licensing board of dentist in Boston. So I'm hoping to upset his life alittle like he has upset mine. Hope your feeling better by now.
|

replied August 9th, 2007
Re: Full Dentures
SuziQ123 wrote:
I just joined this site because two months have gone by since I had my teeth extracted and had immediate dentures put in and I'm still having so many problems. First of all I understand totally what you've been going through. I realize you first posted in June but hopefully you'll check back and read this. It has been a nightmare. My first dentist made me immediate dentures. They were wrong. The teeth all went inward, which made me look so weird. I complained so he said he make a second set. The second set took about a month to make and they were so big he had to fill them with silicone to make them fit. They are still so big I look like I have horse teeth in my mouth. He was so upset that I didn't like the second dentures he yelled at me and told me he was tired of trying to please me and he was giving me my money back and I could find another dentist. I was devastated. I have found another dentist who agreed with me that neither denture he made me was correct, so he is making me yet another denture. This is going to take another month or so. Another thing I've been dealing with since June 7 th is my fact has been numb since the teeth were extracted. No one knows why. I just made an appointment with a neurologist. All I wanted was to look better I never dreamed this would happen. It's been awful. I'm still eating white rice every night, I've lost 15 lbs. and feel awful and still can't smile. I did report my first dentist to the licensing board of dentist in Boston. So I'm hoping to upset his life alittle like he has upset mine. Hope your feeling better by now.
Whats still numb since extraction?You forgot to type it.You deserve compensation for pain and suffering.Lawyer
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2009
delyns face is a fact!!!
I believe delyn is saying her face is still numb,it was a misprint,I dont think she was stating a fact,just her face!
|

replied August 31st, 2010
Im going tomorrow to have all my upper teeth removed (same situation as orignal post) and some of the lowers. My teeth kept breaking and getting infected. I too was accused of being a drug user or having an eating disorder. I have accecpted the fact that Ill be toothless for 6-8 weeks until my dentures come in. My dentist advised against the immediate dentures 1. becuase of cost and 2 becuase they dont fit right with the swelling and soreness. So im waiting to have the real set done before I wear any. My gums should be healed alot by then and maybe i wont get as sore with the dentures in. Im hoping for the best, and really shouldnt of read these posts Smile
|

replied March 18th, 2011
What do I do about the swelling.
Just went to Mexico for fullmouth extractions. Have temps in. After reading some of above I may be better off than thought but swelling is SO BAD. I have a very skinny face partially due to lack of teeth but now the swelling is so bad it is from my eyes to the lower portion of my neck. My lips are so swollen they won't close so drinking is out. The lower right temp plate is so painfull to my tongue that eating or sucking is a NO GO. Will try doing the rinse thing. I have to go back to work in three days. I will bite the bullet and go, then to school, back to work and finally home. any help out there for the swelling? The dentures don't line up so I can't see how I can eat via chewing so I guess pudding is my lot in life for now. I can use some weight loss but hadn't thought this would be the mode of loss.
|

replied August 9th, 2012
just an idea buy a few bags of frozen peas. take the unopened bag from the freezer & drop it on the floor. This should break up the frozen clumps. now place it gently on your face. the small size of the cold peas will conform nicely to your swollen face. keep switching out bags as to make sure the peas being used are still frozen. this will feel much better than the hard ice packs.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
I left my dentists office today with a mouth full of NEW teeth. After years of pain I can finally do something I havent done in 4 years. . . SMILE. I had all my remaining teeth pulled today and had my dentures put in up top and a a partial on bottom. Strange thing is everyone was telling me I would have trouble with the bottom ones. Well thats not the case. The uppers ones made me gag at first but my dentist took them to the back ( he has an onsite lab and does all his own work) did a few things and they fit much better. My real trouble is that I absolutely can not stand the amount of saliva I have in my mouth. I know this is perfectly normal but omg lol I was given instructions to wear them for at least 24 hours then I could start taking them out at nite. I did manage to nap with them in but the pain meds wore off and I woke up to a drenched pillow. The real pain starts when I put the uppers back in. I have a sever sore spot on the upper right side. Now once i get it in place its fine, but HURTS like hell getting it back in. Even orajel doesnt help much. Ive managed to survive on pudding and soup which is better than nothing. And of course i want to eat solid food but that will come in time. All I can say to those of you who are in this boat with me. We did this for a reason. If you are unhappy with the fit or look then complain to your dentist. We paid good money to have our smiles back and deserve respect. If they are unwilling to help them find a good dentist. I got lucky. My dentist and his nurse are angles on this earth. I live in the Houston Texas area and I would be happy to share his name and number with you if you are in need of a good NO a GREAT dentist. In the end it all the pain is/was worth it when my son looked and me and said "Momma your smile is beautiful" Good luck and God bless you all.
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2014
I don't know if you are still active on this forum, but I would really appreciate the contact information for him if you have it still, or if he is even in practice still. Message me. Thank you.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
About to have them all taken
I am having all my teeth removed because of dry-mouth. Thousands of dollars in cavities filled, no more. I too am looking for a video of the process.
My doctor Dentist and the doctor doctor who are extracting my teeth are have a disagreement on
what teeth to take, when, how many, which ones first, etc.
I am have all but the lower 2 canines. Full denture on top and partial on bottom.
As it stands now, on Sept 15th they are removing all my molars. Then after a few weeks, the rest. 2 separate operations. About $8000.00 all together
$3000.00 for the dentures and plate and the rest for the operations. Is that out of line?

What about the pain after each operation? Pain is what is causing me to have this operations in the first place. Meds caused this in the first place.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
I wish you good luck and hope to hear everything will go well with you. I have heard good things about dentures, even on You Tube, until I read posts in this site. I have been thinking about dentures too. I have veneers now on most of my upper teeth and now there is infection in the gum, most of them have root canals and the dentist wants me to redo the root canals and then crown them again, which would cost many thousans of dollars. I alreaday spent over $10,000 in the veneers in 2004. I cannot affor to spend another $10,000 now, only to tell me later that the root canals failed. I am not too keen on root canals anyway. I have read a lot of bad things about them. Anyway, I went off the tangent. All I wanted to say is good luck to you. Hope yours is one of the success stories.
|

replied August 27th, 2011
Hi Begonia
Nope $8000 is about right. Sure you can probably find more inexpensive places; 'Affordable Dentures' and other places. Just had mine done on Wednesday, all together it was about 10000. I had all my back molars removed in April, then the rest of my teeth Wed.
Had immediate dentures put in.. didn't have a problem until I had to remove them, and the upper hurt like you wouldn't believe, then even WORSE putting it back in. I go back next Wed to have stitches out, hopefully this is all because of swollen gums.
As for pain, yeah there will be, your dentist should give you pain meds, and take them! You shouldn't have to be on them all that long. If you absolutely can't take narcotic pain meds, then Ibuprophen will have to do. Get lots of ice packs, they really help the pain too. So, 8 grand is just about right for the whole thing. Best of luck to you!!
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Is this normal 5 days postop?
I just returned from Mexico where I had 21 teeth extracted under general anesthesia and immediate dentures put in. The cost was only $1680. I did not know what to expect but on the third day post op I woke up with my face totally swollen and a big bruise under my eye and along my jawline. Had to go to the ER because the dentist said that was not normal.The doc there thought it was blood trapped in the sinus cavity as the bone between the tooth area and the sinus is very thin and easily broken. Also I guess dentists in Mexico cannot write prescripts for narcotics so I had to duke it out for 3 days with just Ibuprofen. I got Vicodin at the ER and that helps alot. It hurts a lot to take the dentures in and out for cleaning and have been using orajel to help with this. It's a comfort to read about other people's experiences and that I am not alone in this painful journey. Praying for a painfree outcome for all of us...
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Is this normal 5 days postop?
I just returned from Mexico where I had 21 teeth extracted under general anesthesia and immediate dentures put in. The cost was only $1680. I did not know what to expect but on the third day post op I woke up with my face totally swollen and a big bruise under my eye and along my jawline. Had to go to the ER because the dentist said that was not normal.The doc there thought it was blood trapped in the sinus cavity as the bone between the tooth area and the sinus is very thin and easily broken. Also I guess dentists in Mexico cannot write prescripts for narcotics so I had to duke it out for 3 days with just Ibuprofen. I got Vicodin at the ER and that helps alot. It hurts a lot to take the dentures in and out for cleaning and have been using orajel to help with this. It has now been 5 days and am wondering if the swelling should have gone down by now and the pain abated more than it has. It's a comfort to read about other people's experiences and that I am not alone in this painful journey. Praying for a painfree outcome for all of us...
|

replied October 10th, 2011
teeth extractions
I just had 28 teeth extracted 3 weeks ago i got temporary dentures the same day. i am still having some pain on the gums and especially on the roof of my mouth. i told the doctor and he said just keep doing warm salt water gargles. i am able to eat certain foods now but only if i have the bottom out i can not chew with the bottom denture.i can't stand the amount of saliva that produces on the top it is gross and i am gagging like crazy on the top
|

replied October 16th, 2011
I am new to this forum and I deeply sympathize with you- periodontitis sufferers, especially since your ordeal is not over. The problem is that periodontitis is only a symptom of a deeper underlying disorder. And any treatment you are receiving (usually antibiotics, surgeries. teeth extractions) are only stopgap measures. I was in your shoes years ago but saved myself by finding a way to beat the problem and save most my teeth and have been periodontitis free for over nine years. And I am 64.
Unfortunately, the therapy is too complicated to describe here.
Nevertheless, one of you mentioned vitamin C. It may not be the whole solution but it is certainly a step in the right direction.
|

replied April 25th, 2012
I would like to know more about the complicated therapy to save your teeth.

Thanks

Sam
|

replied February 16th, 2012
I realize this post is kinda old but i had a full mouth extraction on 2/14/12 my dentures were ready immediately kinda big teeth but i never had nice teeth before and i thought all was ok until the next day i went back for check up and left really happy dentist said all was looking good and he wanted me to take my teeth out at night from now on BIG MISTAKE!!! This morning my mouth is so swollen i cant wear my teeth.. I just got married and dont want my husband to see me like this. The dentist said it could be a week before i can wear my teeth now. I am so frustrated. I realize this was a major trauma to my mouth but the dentist should have known this would happen and informed me of such. Instead i woke up and surprise its a toothless wonder. I would appreciate any advice you may have someone has had to of gone through this too. Thanks nicole
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Teeth Arrgg ...!!
I've read all your stories and my heart goes out to you all who are going through pain! I am so worried about my own teeth too but that will be another post! All I can say is my husband had to get his teeth out and have false one's put in (I'm next, I can feel it!). Now he was great come to think of it. He actually keeps them in all the time. Now and again he will take them out at night, but not very often. His father actually gave him that advise about sleeping with them in, he does the same. I'm actually shocked reading how much pain some of you are going through, your all in my prayers tonight. I also know how embarrising it can be to be without your teeth even in front of the people you love! I'm going to the Dentist soon. My 4back wisdom teeth are impacted under the gum & need to come out also all my teeth are overcrowded esp at the bottom and last night whilst brushing a tiny peice (feels like a hole)came out! My two top 2 are overlapping and theres some staining at the side. So that why I'm saying that I'll probally need false teeth! TBH I dont know how I'm going to cope mentally. I've always been on and off with bouts of depression etc .. I also have hardly Any self confidence. Please keep me in your prayers over there.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Denture Madness
Came to mexico to have the teeth extracted and mini implant dentures put in. It has been a night mare. The temporary denture teeth are to long and I had an overbite but these teeth go inwards so I look like a Rodent. The bottoms don't fit at all and it looks better without any in. The permanent dentures were made and I couldn't even close my mouth they were so large. The Dentist tried to convince me that this was *normal*. Did you ever see the pictures of dogs wearing dentures well that is what it looked like. Thank God there is another dentist here that is in the midst of making yet another denture from start. One day was 12 hours in the chair and yesterday 10 hours of pain as well. Went in this morning and the wax model set seems to be more on the right track. Warning if the wax set is tried and you can't close your mouth normally there is not going to be any way to fix them later. OH PS try tuna fish on a ritz cracker it's easy to crush against the palate and much more healthy than white rice. Have also been drinking coconut water (One) it can be beneficial. Also try like a spagetti bolognese and cut it up fine, and don't forget yogurt. These are some things that I have been using as you want to try and get some protein in for healing. The yogurt helps to offset the antibiotics. This is not a fun process.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Full set with immediate temporaries......this much pain??
I had the 17remaing teeth extracted the 17th and immediate temps put in - extraction was awful, had to have severaal stitches, but afterdoc put the temps in, I looked so great!oh At the end of 24 hrs removed them and cleaned them, then couldnt get the top seated, it just kept falling out - oh well, just hold it in with one finger....pain was not bad enough to use the painmeds dentist gave me....to bed early with out the dentures as only supposed to sleep in them 1st night...pain during night, bleeding had more or less stopped, but when I tried to put the dentures back in pain was terrible where stitches were...I had been usung the warm salt water...but could not stand the pain, called doc, told me to come in and they'd check me out...they tried to make adjustments so I could wear them, that was so painful to keep trying, I asked them if I could just not wear them til I got more healed...so thats where I am now swollen and pain, no question of eating anything but have drank warm milk...Oh I went to Affordable Dentures, it cost $2855....I got the most expensive set..I would recomment them because they did try so hard to make them fit so I could wear thru healing but I just was't willing to go thru that much pain.....and that pain is normal, after all, all those needles then the trauma of jerking and pulling...I am 73, because of COPD could not undergo putting me to sleep. So I am hoping in a few weeks, months I'll have my permanent set and have a great smile for an old lady!!
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Tooth Extraction and Dentures not young
I feel for you as am still in Cancun with another appointment today and have had over 40 hours worth of messing around with this. Am in so much pain now. Am 62 and not a spring chicken either. They made the second set and it's not much better than the first. Since there are mini implants there is even more yanking being done to get them in and out so the gums are really in turmoil. I would have been better coming with already made dentures that they could have fit with 0 rings. The ones they have made for me are heavy and jut my bottom mouth out like some animal --- it's horrible. And their answer to it all is basically you are in mexico and there is nothing you can do about it. Will go back in for one more painful adjustment but looks like will have to have new ones made when i return to the states for even a larger cost. Will definitely be making a testimonial against the shoddy workmanship.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Goodness, you have had a lot of painful procedure! I know years ago we lived in NM and my Mom went to Mexico and had all her teeth out and dentures, think it was like $200 then....she also had lotss of trouble but just expected it...
Today I am still very swollen but will hang in there, thats all us old gals can do - will say a prayer for you, in meantime, try to enjoy Cancun!!
|

replied May 4th, 2012
I found here outstanding information about full tooth extraction. Thanks for this useful information that you have been shared to us.
|

replied May 10th, 2012
I'm 24 and will be having full top dentures and partial bottoms put in. Sadly hospitals are wait listed horribly here and I will not be able to get into one until Oct or Nov, I have the option with an oral surgeon but the cost too great so I will be sticking with the dentist and being put under in the hospital to help ease anxiety.

Even though it's a long ways away I've been researching a lot to learn what I'm in store for and what I can expect. A lot of what I'm reading here seems pretty normal to what I've been told/read. For those that are going to experience this I've learned a lot that helps ease my mind

Immediate dentures are going to fit funny. There is a long list of pros and cons. I questioned my dentists want for immediate dentures for myself.. thinking of the poor fit and how I should heal before having them in place. After researching I've learned that giving the fact that all of my upper teeth are being pulled and several are broken and cut off at the gums it's going to be a messy removal for many. Having the dentures in right away will help aid in healing and reduce swelling. It will also help keep "food" or as close as you can get in that state, out of the holes and help to avoid infections.
Cons are that they fit miserably, and are more expensive for this reason. You will usually need several fittings and adjustments to get them properly fitting or sometimes a whole new set. Immediate dentures are sometimes referred to as temporary dentures for this reason. Keep in mind you mouth/gums will continue to change for the next 6 months to a year

I can't even begin to imagine the swelling I'm going to face following the procedure. I've seen friends whos faces swell out and go through a hard time with having wisdom teeth alone pulled so I know the first week will not be pretty. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm lucky I won't have to work but am hoping that my husband is able to take time off to help with the kids during this time.
Advil will help ease the swelling and hopefully some pain, though I'm really not sure if it will "cut it". I've lived with the pain of toothaches, abscessed and such for as long as I can remember so I'm sure I can manage for the greater good. No aspirin unless mostly healed as it can cause bleeding. Tylenol may help with some pain but anything associated with the swelling isn't going to be helped.
Sometimes you may be sick following the procedure. Depending on how things go you can sometimes swallow a lot of blood. It will want to come back up usually. You may also experience bruising on your face.

Bottom line really is it's not easy. It's going to hurt. Having several teeth pulled makes the strain on your body a lot more than most people expect. And like any foreign feeling in your mouth it takes a heck of a lot of getting used to. Think of how messed up we get with a cut in our mouth? or if you've ever had a tooth chip or break how long it takes you to adjust to that new feeling. A denture is effecting your entire mouth, there is a certain lengthy adjustment period. I've been told though that once you get used to it it's actually uncomfortable to have them out.

I'm hoping I keep the upbeat attitude when the procedure approaches. If I'm lucky I'll get some good meds from the dentist to help ease the pain too. *fingers crossed*
|
12 >>