Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

How Does Abortion Affect Subsequent Pregnancies ?

User Profile
if a woman has an abortion and goes on to have a wanted pregnancy how does having an abortion affect it?

does it make her feel guilty even if she didn't before? does she keep thinking about how her new baby would of had a brother or sister?

personal experiences and opinions please Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tylanas
|

replied June 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: How Does Abortion Affect Subsequent Pregnancies?
beckster06 wrote:
if a woman has an abortion and goes on to have a wanted pregnancy how does having an abortion affect it?

does it make her feel guilty even if she didn't before? does she keep thinking about how her new baby would of had a brother or sister?

I can't tell you personal experience, but I do have some facts.

Women can become pregnant in some cases very quickly (within a month or two) after an abortion, sometimes sooner. So as far as physically, an abortion has almost no effect on future pregnancies. You are not more likely to miscarry after an abortion than you are after a birth.

That's all I can answer.
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I know several women who have had abortions and then later had children. None of them feel more guilty because they have a child(ren) now. It also isn't likely that it will physically affect a woman's pregnancy or ability to give birth.
|

replied June 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know from personal experience, but a woman who is very close to me who has 3 grown boys had an abortion when she was young (before her children). She says that around the time that her first would have been born she gets sad and does a lot of the what if's. "What if he would have gone on to cure cancer, promote world peace, save the world".

She is a wonderful mother to her children, and having an abortion was the best thing she could have done at the time, but she always thinks of that child and what he would have been.
|

replied June 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
My mom had an abortion before me and my brother was born, but she was forced into it, so her negative attitude towards abortion doesn't really count, since she didn't get a choice.
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: How Does Abortion Affect Subsequent Pregnancies ?
beckster06 wrote:

Having friends who have had abortions and who also have one, or more, healthy children now, I can only tell you what they have told me.

Most .women who are going through an unintended pregnancy don't view all of their pregnancies together as a set. Rather, they tend to view them within the situation that they arose. For example, my good friend Jessica had an abortion in highschool because she was young, poor, and did not want to be tied to the guy (date rape). She views the abortion positively because the situation in which the unintended pregnancy occurred was horrible and the abortion ended that situation. Recently, she became pregnant (planned) and had her first child. The situations which produced the pregnancies are totally and completely different. She consented, for one, she's married to a nice man, they recently purchased a home, she has a stable career, etc. No, she does not think that her child would have had a brother or sister because legal or not, safe or not, she was not going to remain pregnant the first time.

None of my friends felt guilty for having an abortion, even when they did have children because they, like the majority of .women who have abortions, view their pregnancies differently based on the situations in which they occurred. Several of my friends felt guilty that they even became pregnant in the first place when they did not want to or could not remain pregnant and most of them, including myself, felt anger and rage at our chosen methods of birth control. But at the time, it was the best decision possible. Knowing this, knowing that the situation was not right to bring a new life through our bodies, is a fairly proficient buffer against guilt.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
thanks for your replies ladies! lets get more topics on here as it is a debate forum Wink
|