Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Car Seat Question

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
According to Louisiana State law you have to be 20 lbs. .A.N.D 1 year in order to face the front, but my friend's doctor told her that at 20 lbs she could turn her daughter. So, I asked my doctor and he said no, leave her rear facing no matter how big she gets until she's 1 year b/c her neck muscles aren't 100% strong enough until 1 year.
Her feet are hanging out of the infant seat.
What are ya'll doing about that? Waiting to a year? Are there regular seats that face the rear and the front that I can use until she's older?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
those infant bucket seats have a length limit, so make sure she hasn't passed that yet. i know the graco snugride is either 28 or 29 inches.

it's safest to leave them rear-facing as long as possible. we have a britax marathon, it rear faces for up to 33 pounds and then forward faces for up to 65 pounds. finn will stay rear-facing until he hits 33 pounds, no matter how old he is. little kids are flexible and should have no problem folding their legs so they fit rear-facing.

i think the seats that face rear and forward are called convertible seats. there are tons to choose from.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i didn't realize they have a lenght limit, that's what we have and she's 29 inches

looks like we're going buy a car seat
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think my pediatrician indicated to me that if the baby's head is taller than the back of the seat, that it is time to move to a new seat.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
here's a video showing why it's important to keep your baby rear-facing as long as possible. a little before the halfway point they show crash tests and the difference between forward-facing and rear-facing is astounding.

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/ youtube/rear_facing.htm
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
If I have a bigger seat, can I still put it in facing backwards?
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
it depends on your seat, some can go both ways but some can only face forward. i think it should say on the side of the seat.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks, I will check it. It should say "convertable", right? Maybe that's just a car seat you can put in your car with the top down?? Wink
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
lol!

do you know the make and model? i could look it up for you.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
No, I will have to look at it when I get home. it was my sister's kid's.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
since it was your sister's, check the manufacture date as well. car seats "expire" after 6 years or so.

i know, i know... i'm the chief of the car seat police.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I will check that too...I hope it doesn't start to mold! LOL
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the seat i have tha ti will be using for jordynne can go forward facing or rear facing, i dont know what kind it is and im too lazy to go in the closet and look. It was like $160 at walmart. Once she can walk im gonna put that in rear facing. I never knew there was a length limit on the carriers. josephs legs dangled out for quite a while lmao.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well she's 29 inches, but we just got back from running errands and she still looks comfortable in it. Her little feet are kinda hanging out, but her head's not. It still has lots of room. It's sooooo heavy to carry her in it. Thanks for showing me that video. I'll have to show that to my friend. She blew me off when I told her both 20 and a year. She said that it's too heavy and her daughter's too big for her, so she put her forward facing at 9 months/22 lbs.
I'll have to show that to Jesse. What's the weight limit on the Graco snugride Miss Carseat Queen? lol
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
when joseph started getting heavy i left the seat in the car and put him in his stroller instead rather then carrying the babyseat around into stores and stuff, usually they can sit up pretty good when they are that big.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, we use the stroller or I sit her in the cart with a cart cover. It's just that we bring her seat in b/c it's too hot to leave it in the car. The buckles get hot and I don't want to burn her. It's just heavy to carry her to the car from the house. Her safety's more important though.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the weight limit for most snugrides is 22 pounds.

i can't imagine still lugging finn around in his! he's been in his britax for months now. i actually prefer the kind of car seat that stays in the car now that i've used both.

definitely show the video to your friend. i can't believe someone would put their 9-month old forward-facing!
|