Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Harmless Smoking Alternative?? (Page 1)

User Profile
I saw an ad for a device that has cigarette flavoring, water, nicotine, and one other supposedly harmless chemical. Basically there are cartridges that you keep stocked, and a pipe-like device, and you just smoke it and it emits a harmless vapor to look like smoke so all you really get is the nicotine, yet it feels like your smoking. This thing is extremely interesting I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or knows if it is legit or not. Feedback appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Experienced User
It also apparently saves a ton of money, could this be the answer?
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Experienced User
Hi Eklipse,

It depends on what you mean by the "answer". Are you trying to quit smoking and still "smoke" per say? Are you trying to find a loophole?

A lot of smokers (including myself) try or have tried to find loopholes to quit smoking without really giving up our " pleasure".

This device has been around for some time now. I remember seeing it when I was a teenager, except it was just cigarettes.

Think about this though. How many people do you see walking around using fake cigarettes? I don't see any and I've only seen one person using them a long time ago and the only reason was they were dying of cancer. I remember them saying that they were not very impressed with those fake cigarettes.

My suggestion is, break entirely free from this addiction. Do you really want to go your whole life smoking a fake cigarette? Yes, the alternative is worse. Really smoking, but all these quit smoking gimics have a problem.

They promise a lot and deliver very little. Chances are that you would get tired of these fake cigarettes very quickly and be right back to where you started...smoking the real thing.

I'm not trying to discourage you...but I have tried just about everything to quit smoking, BUT until this last quit I realized something. Everytime I quit, I was looking for loopholes.

My advice is, don't look for gimicky devices. They almost 100% of the time don't work.

Free yourself from this addiction completely. There is absolutely no pleasure in smoking and that's what makes it hard for a lot of people trying to quit. They think on some level that a cigarette does something for them. It doesn't. It only does to them.

Right now it is taking away your freedom. It is taking away your choices. It is taking away your money and if you continue, it may very well take away your life.

Also, don't think that nicotine is harmeless. Research has shown that nicotine on it's own can malform cells. Nicotine is a poison. Drop for drop it is deadlier than strychnine, arsenic and rattle snake poison.

100 mg of rattle snake poison can kill a man. 60 mg of nicotine can do the same.

I highly suggest educating yourself about this addiction and break the misconception that you can't quit. Also read Allen Carr's book : The easy way to quit msoking.

Break this addiction and you'll save even more money. This is how much money I saved in just under three years quit.

I have been quit for 2 Years, 11 Months, 2 Weeks, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 26 seconds (1,079 da). I have saved $10,792.85 bnot smoking 43,171 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 6 Da, 21 hours and 35 minutes of mlife. MQuit Date: 7/7/2004 12:00 AM

Eric
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Experienced User
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to quit as we speak but I'm overwhelmed with this urge to smoke "just one more". I know I can do it, just takes a little will power.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Smoking Addiction is not just nicotine
Interesting,

Yes, it is tough to quit smoking, been there done that, but this new tool is not just any fake cigarette, and no, this is new, so it has not been around for years, I should know, I tried them all.

What I found when I tried to quit for the 100th time was that my mind was telling me to reach for my pocket for pack of smokes, or my hand would go to mouth as if I was still smoking. The nicotine was not the only habit you have to break, it is the actions of smoking too.

This new high tech answer is quite unique, for it addressed all the needs of a cigarette smoker. The nicotine addiction is obvious, so you can slowly adjust down nicotine level at your particular pace, so this is first step. You still get the satisfaction of smoking without the carcinogens, so this is by far better than tobacco cigarettes, but as mentioned, nicotine addiction is what you want to kick first.

In my experience, it was a no brainer, this technology satisfied my desire to kick the habit, but not cold turkey which is extremely difficult for heavy smokers. Many smoke to calm nerves, or at least this is the excuse used, but it is not the nicotine that does this, it is the act of smoking, which is a mind crutch for many, so I found this interesting in my case. I was not heavy smoker, but the habit was there, with or without the nicotine.

What I found interesting about these electronic cigarettes is they offer an option the patches, gum. drugs and pills don't offer, a real smoking experience without the carcinogens, and if that is not enough of a reason to try it, I don't know what is. Yes, I found my answer, yet everyone is different, so what works for one person does not work for everyone.

We are all creatures of habit, good, bad and ugly ones, but it is up to you to decide what is best method to stop smoking. I like concept, and am no longer in need of any nicotine, so I am one step closer to getting my health back. I recently lost my Mother to emphysema, and she never smoked a day in her life. My Father did, and smoked in home, so second hand smoke is even more dangerous to many, and you just don't want to see anyone die of emphysema, it is pure torture for victim as well as family. My Father died of heart attack, and I ended up with asthma, so smoking cigarettes, or smelling others is not good for anyone.

the lesson I learned is Wealth without Health is Worthless. If quitting is your goal, then electronic health safe cigarettes are the way to kick the habit, it was for me, and when others see me puffing away on this device, they all ask, what are you smoking? Funny, but when I show and tell, they want it too, so low and behold, there is another incentive to stop smoking tobacco cigarettes, Marlboro never paid me a dime to advertise their product all those years. lol The product I tried has now become a business, and with extra incentive of getting paid to stop, this was the real kicker for me.

Good luck to all,
|

replied June 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Quote"Many smoke to calm nerves, or at least this is the excuse used, but it is not the nicotine that does this, it is the act of smoking."

That is a completely innaccurate slant, most likely to make your product that you're trying to push sound more appealing. Saying what you said is like saying it's not the alcohol that steadies the alcoholics nerves, but the act of drinking that does.

Nicotine is a fast acting alkoloid. It reaches the insula part of the brain by mimicing acetycholine. This is how it releases large amounts of unearned dopamine. The problem is that the brain needs to keep a balance of dopamine being released. It cannot regulate nicotine as it is a foreign poison. So it has no other choice but to turn down it's own sensitivity to acetycholine. Meaning that the brain has a much harder time naturally releasing dopamine on its own. This is what makes the smoker rely a lot more on the cigarette just to feel "normal".

Nicotine also has the ability to fit the adrenaline locks. As nicotine metabolizes, small amounts of cortisol is pumped through the bloodstream. This causes a chemically induced fight or flight feeling. A first it is very subtle. It starts off as an empty feeling or an itch you want to scratch. The crave as we know it. The longer the smoker goes without smoking the next cigarette, the more apparent this feeling will become. It tunrs into an empty insecure feeling. The smoker will start to feel antsy.

The smoker is now essentially experiencing the same feeling as if some outside entity were creating stress or discomfort. It is a chemical trick produced by nicotine that is tricking the mind and body to think that something is wrong.

The smoker then smokes another cigarette which not only releases more dopamine, but also activates the chemical DHEA which causes the smoker to once again feel safe and comfortable. This temporarily calms the smoker, but the viscious cycle of smoking will once again rear it's ugly head within a short time. The calmness the smoker feels after smoking a cigarette is a false sense of accomplishment, because this is the calmness than non smokers always feel.

Once nicotine levels drop below the person's comfort level. The person will once again experience this empty, insecure antsy feeling. A feeling of discomfort like a heightened feeling of tension and stress. The brain will once again send the signal that the person needs a cigarette to once again feel safe and comfortable. Just as it would when the person experiences hunger.

While smokers may think that smoking calms them. It only relieves the stress that it actually creates. A smoker will never be as calm as a non smoker. Nicotine is a deadly poison. Almost 2x as deadly as the Diamondback Rattlesnake's poison, drop for drop.

It takes roughly 72 hours for all nicotine to be out of the bloodstream and over 90% metabolized. This is when withdrawal peaks and then statrs to subside. Within 10 to 14 days, all physical withdrawal stops, but it usually the first few days that are the most noticable.

While the quitter may experience urges to smoke after this. This is due to association triggers and or a feeling of being deprived of smoking, due ot the person still having a belief in the cigarette.

The contraption you are using is much like an alcoholic that quits drinking going to their usual bar and drinking non alcoholic beer. They are still trying to hold onto their old lives. They are still clinging onto something. This is a sign of deprivation. They feel that they are missing out on something now that they quit drinking.

A smoker is NOT depriving themselves of anything by quitting smoking. They are NOT missing out on anything by quitting. They are removing one of the most absurd useless addictions out there. They are removing the NEED to smoke the tens of thousands of cigarettes that would follow the present cigarette smoked.

Eric

I freed myself on 7/7/04
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Getting off addiction of nicotine is issue, not why people smoke
Curious,

Have you ever smoked? Sounds like you are Mr. Perfect. Sorry, but you are wrong, and you clearly contradict yourself in your paragraph below.

"While smokers may think that smoking calms them. It only relieves the stress that it actually creates. A smoker will never be as calm as a non smoker. Nicotine is a deadly poison. Almost 2x as deadly as the Diamondback Rattlesnake's poison, drop for drop."

If you are not using nicotine, as is the main purpose of this system, to slowly purge the nicotine from your system, then what you stated above may be true initially, but not once you kick the nicotine habit.

As I found, it relieves stress because there is no longer any nicotine addiction to trick the mind, as you put it. As you stated, it is the act of smoking that creates the need to relieve the stress, so it only makes sense if you remove the nicotine from your system, then a FAUX cigarette will indeed calm nerves even without the nicotine, and that is exactly what I have experienced. Even health safe habits are sometimes hard to break. Sounds like you never had any habits you had to deal with, so you are perfect in every way, right. lol

I clearly stated everyone is different, so if you were not a smoker, you can site all the dangers of nicotine you want, it doesn't change the fact that many use a cigarette as a crutch, and some may need this after they purge the addiction of nicotine from their systems. Call it a placebo effect, whatever, but it helps break the total habit, not just the nicotine.

It took me a couple of months to zero out nicotine, so this is not acceptable to you? You speak as if I think smoking is good for you, and that is surely not the point, the point is this is a more effective tool to stop than anything else I tried, including patches, gum, I wouldn't take Chantix for obvious reasons.

And then you go on to compare this contraption with non alcoholic beer. So you are also saying non alcoholic beer is not a good thing? Sorry, but you have some strange thoughts on these issues of addiction. Sorry, but you sound like a person who is against anything that helps a person kick a bad habit, and then labels them as having signs of deprivation in their lives. If you want to psychoanalyze ones behavior over why they starting to smoke or drink beer to begin with, go ahead, but that is not the issue here, It is one of kicking unhealthy habits, not why they started to begin with, or did you miss that.

However one kicks the habit is fine with me, and if you think nicotine patches or gum, or worse, chantix is the answer, then I question you and your opinion having tried the first two. Drugs is not the answer in my opinion, and this has recently come to light now that pilots are banned from using drugs because they could pass out, so what is your solution, don't start, right, very helpful indeed. lol
|

replied June 8th, 2008
Experienced User
LMBO,

I used to be a two pack a day smoker. I smoked for 2/3 of my life.

I quit cold turkey on 7/7/04 with education after trying every "miracle product" under the sun. Education erased the brainwashing that caused me to think that on some level I smoked because I liked to. It removed my belief in the cigarette. I realized that the reasons that I smoked were fallacies. Smoking doesn't relieve boredom, it doesn't make you calm, it doesn't relieve stress (except it's own) and I didn't smoke more when I drank alcohol because the cigarette was so delicious. I smoked simply because I HAD to.

Your post is nothing more than a slant to sell something. You said it is not nicotine that calms a person, but the act of smoking that does. That is what you said. That is a lie.

There is no contradiction in what I said. You may have tried to take my words and take them out of contex to make it seem that way, but what you just said actually makes no sense, but I imagine it is so ,because you have to create a slant to make your contraption that you're trying to advertise seem like it makes sense.

Again that is like saying it s the act of drinking and not the alcohol that keeps an alcoholic drinking. IT IS NOT. I also wasn't talking about strictly the dangers of smoking but the mechanics of it.

Maybe you should re read the five paragraphs I wrote prior to the one you quoted to try and reinforce your slant. The five paragraphs that shows that it is nicotine that keeps the person in the smoking trap and NOT simply the act of smoking.

It is the need for nicotine that creates the stress of withdrawal. As long as nicotine is in the system it will create this chemically induced stress. It is the nicotine from the next cigarette that calms the person, but it only from the stress created as the nicotine from the previous cigarette started to metabolize and the nicotine levels went below the person's comfort level.

If anything your little gimic that you're trying to peddle here is the placebo.
You're the one that thinks you need (or I think, that you're trying to convince others here that they need to, since you mentioned that now you're making money off of this) to smoke this contraption to be calm.

I don't need to smoke a cigarette or your contraption because it is not the act of smoking that calmed me when I was a smoker. It was the need for nicotine that caused me to smoke to relieve the anxiety that the previous cigarette kept creating because of nicotine withdrawal. I didn't need to smoke 40 cigarettes a day, simply because the act of doing it is what calmed me down and so I had to do it 40 times day. It was because nicotine was a fast acting alkoloid that I kep having to replenish, just to feel normal.

Anyone else that quit smoking and removed the nicotine from their bloodstream would also not need to use this contraption. The only reason why they might think that they need it, is either because they psyched themselves out into thinking that they need it or that they feel that they are deprving themselves of smoking and this way they can mimic smoking and hold onto their old smoking lives. A person didn't need to smoke(mimic or not) to relieve their stress or be calm before they started smoking and they won't need to once they break the addiction.

I am much more calmer now that I don't smoke and by the way I have helped a lot of people to quit smoking and the one thing I always tell people when they first quit is to practice yoga breathing techniques.

Most people breathe in what is known as shallow breathing. This can cause muslce tension and stress. When people are under stress, quite a few people tend to hold their breath, which then can create more stress and muscle tension.

People that quit smoking are notorious for doing this, because the only time when they really took deep breaths was when they were inhaling the cigarette. Once the person quits smoking. They tend to have some stress which affects their breathing. Most people when they first quit smoking and are experiencing nicotine withdrawal, will find that when they learn to stop and do deep breathing, that the craves and stress will dissipate. It is the slow deep breathing that is calming the person. That is why deep breathing is the cornerstone to all the relaxation exercises from Yoga, Meditation, Tai Chi, etc. Probably much like when you smoke your fake cigarette as you are doing. People can do the exact same thing without the FAUX cigarette. It is called a pursed lipped breathing technique, that will simulate this.

Again I think that you're just trying to promote ths product and that's why I'm saying something. I don't like to see people trying to quit smoking fall for the "miracle products" like I did. After all, wasn't your nickname here originally "GetPaidtoQuitsmoking" or something like that? Why did it get changed to the nic "StopSmoking"?

I think I even seen you on another message board not too long ago peddling the same product. Fortunately, the administration took down your post.

Your quote sounds to me like you are , QUOTE`"The product I tried has now become a business, and with extra incentive of getting paid to stop, this was the real kicker for me."

I have been on the quit smoking boards for quite some time and I have never seen anyone successfully quit using nicotine using this fake cigarette except you. There have been at least two other variations on this kind of FAUX cigarette that dates back to the 80's. Most recently the one a few years back where a guy in a commercial is using one while riding in a convertable car. After seeing that commercial for a while, I have never heard from it or seen any success stories from it. I have never seen anyone even use these except back in the 80's. It was a plastic nicotine cigarette that you didn't light, but were supposed to inhale it like a real cigarette and it was supposed to give you nicotine. The person was using it because they were dying and this was the "safe alternative", but in their own words it wasn't good at all and felt pretty useless.

The craves that someone might experience even after they remove the nicotine out of their system are called association triggers. Thoughts to smoke in a certain place, situation or event. These are just left over conditioned memories in the subconscious from the many years of smoking. I'm quite aware of this. I'm also aware that the subconscious will usually discard associating smoking during these certain places or situations or events after only 1 or 2 times when you don't smoke when experiencing them. I'm not sure how the subconscious is going to break this association to smoking, when you smoke (or mimic smoking) during the association. It is only going ot keep reinforcing the subconscious in my opinion. This is why education is so important and not just relying on some fake smoking contraption. The only way to break the "habit" as you call it, is to stop doing it, have you stopped doing it?

P.S. smoking is not a habit. It is an addiction, just like any other drug or alcohol addiction.

I freed myself on 7/7/04

Three years, eleven months, one day, 8 hours, 59 minutes and 54 seconds. 57294 cigarettes not smoked, saving $14,323.74. Life saved: 28 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, 30 minutes.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2008
Stop Smoking is only issue
Sad,

Smoking was a habit for myself, and many others I have talked with over the years, so given you smoked two packs a day, you indeed were addicted, I was only a half pack a day smoker, and I was able to go without a smoke for a day or two without any withdrawal symptoms or issues, so how can you claim to know it all when everyone is quite different.

I have talked with hundreds of people, and most are no more than pack a day smokers, many only smoke two or three a day and can stop for weeks, as is the case with my daughter. You seem to think you own the boards on stop smoking, or you simply have an ego about the size of your former addiction, either way, you don't call anyone a liar, for you cannot validate my results, just as I cannot verfiy yours. You beat your addiction, great, did I criticize your yoga and mind altering technique?

The point of these boards is to inform people on how to stop, however that may occur, through your yoga tight lips or whatever. If you have been on smoking boards, and have helped people, great, so what are you accomplishing by denying my contraption works for me, and thousands of others? And it has not been around since you are were a teenager. Talk about a lie, you really don't have a clue, yet you want to come off as some kind of expert. Your blinders are on to this new technology, ignorance is what I call it.

This technology was only recently fully developed and released in U.S., and so far I have 37 people who are off tobacco at the moment, so where do you come off claiming it has only worked for me, this works for everyone I have introduced it to so far, and this is easily verified on dozens of forums, so your reaction makes me believe you teach yoga tight lips method or hypnotism, so be honest, why are you criticizing any method that helps people stop, no matter what it is. What is your agenda, I didn't hide mine, so get off your high horse, I never criticized your method, and I had tried them all, but you have not, so you have no basis to make any claims at all on this so called contraption. lol Anything that works should be promoted to everyone who cannot quit, period.
|

replied June 11th, 2008
Experienced User
LOL OK, OK,

You question me if I have ever smoked and now I’m the only addict.

Let me be clear on something. Though I take issue with the pharmaceutical industry because I think that they instill fear into people trying to quit and are not as honest as they want to make themselves out to be. I support anyone quitting smoking, no matter what method. I talk with people daily via e-mail or on quit smoking forums that are trying to quit using the patch, gum, Chantix, cold turkey, etc.

While I may recommend people to quit cold turkey, I support everyone quitting and I have many people that will verify this.

My issue here, GetPaidtoQuitSmoking, is not your method of quitting. It is that I think that you are phishing for clients for this product. Like I said before I have seen the nickname Stopsmoking or something very similar on another board talking about the exact same thing not too long ago and the post was removed. Also you mentioned a couple of times that you are getting compensated for talking about this product.

Quote, “
No matter where I smoke, restaurants, airports, casinos, hotels, everyone asks, what are you smoking? And all I do is hand out a business card and get paid to show and tell. So with that, I have found the perfect solution to a long time habit of smoking tobacco cigarettes. Marboro never paid me a dime for smoking their brand all those years and displaying their box everytime I light up. (g) If they had, I might still be smoking.”

Quote, “Marlboro never paid me a dime to advertise their product all those years. lol The product I tried has now become a business, and with extra incentive of getting paid to stop, this was the real kicker for me.”

Then you say that it is not nicotine that calms a smoker, but the act of smoking that does. You did not state this as an opinion, but as fact. Well if this were true, then your product you are pushing would make sense. This is why I think you said iT. So is this really fact for smokers? Does nicotine not have anything to do with calming the smoker, but simply the act of smoking that does? Is this what you are saying, or is it simply your opinion from your own experience?

Let me quote you on it again, “Many smoke to calm nerves, or at least this is the excuse used, but it is not the nicotine that does this, it is the act of smoking”

The five paragraphs I wrote that I told you to re read are not opinion. They are scientific fact on the mechanics of nicotine in the body. You can actually verify my results. I have studied nicotine addiction for years now. I have a computer full of research articles on nicotine addiction. The mechanics of nicotine and how it creates not only a physical addiction, but a psychological addiction and brainwashing.

Smoking comes down to three things.

1. The physical addiction to nicotine

2. The association triggers derived from the physical addiction to nicotine

3. The belief in the cigarette caused from both the physical addiction and the association triggers.

While I may not know much about a lot of things. I do think that I have at least a little knowledge on nicotine addiction. Not only from my own addiction, but from studying other people and reading nicotine addiction research articles for years now.

You mentioned that you didn’t criticize my yoga breathing technique way of quitting. First, you can if you want, I don’t care, but after thousands of years of a proven technique for relaxation, I doubt that there is really much to criticize. Also, it is NOT my technique to quit smoking. It is just a simple exercise I incorporated when I first quit and found great results with it, but it really plays a small part of the puzzle in my “technique” of quitting as you call it. I have had other guys scoff at it before though, until they tried it and found that it did work. This is bascially what you are doing by mimicing smoking. Breathing deeply.

But you said something else in a matter of fact kind of way that I don’t think you have any business stating since you were not a heavy smoker and have no idea if it really is true or not. Quote, “but not cold turkey which is extremely difficult for heavy smokers”

I, a former heavy smoker personally have tried just about everything under the sun to quit and what I found after educating myself was not only that quitting cold turkey was NOT extremely difficult, but this quit was by far the easiest quit out of all the times I tried. I realized that it wasn't quitting smoking that was so hard, but quitting believing in the cigarette that was. Once I removed that thinking, quitting became much easier to do.

Withdrawal as you mentioned is not what people may think it is. Within 72 hours nicotine is out of the bloodstream, most of it is out of the body by this time. This is when withdrawal will peak and start to decline. Within 10 to 14 days physical withdrawal stops, but it usually the first few days when it is most noticable.

But withdrawal is NOT the withering junkie on the floor that many smokers have built up in their heads. Withdrawal can make you tired, give you headaches and make you irritable, and give you a sweet tooth, but this is usually simply from the person's blood sugar plummeting. I'm not going to get into why all this right now, because it will be long, but an easy way to combat this, is to drink fruit juice and eat smaller more frequent meals. This will keep the blood sugar from dipping and spiking. The body will regulate itself within a few days or a week or so.

The horrible craves we think that we experience are more to do with how we react than the actual crave. A crave is simply a heightened anxiety, an antsy empty feeling. They can feel uncomfortable, but they are not the death dealers that they are made out to be. What really makes the anxieties unbearable are how we react to them. We feed the anxieties, with our own fear and make them feel unbearable. This is why practicing deep breathing is really good, because it counteracts the crave and calms the person. Craves only last a couple of minutes. It i fixating on smoking "A" cigarette that causes the crave to feel like it lasts all day. The amount of craves will also spike and decline around the 72 hour mark.

This is another fallacy that has been promoted for over 24 years from the pharmaceutical industry, that quitting cold turkey, you have to be almost super human. You do not. I am not the execption to the rule either. ACS's last report in 2003 states that 91.7% of the people that successfully quit smoking have done so cold turkey. 2006 Australian study claims that 88% of people that successfully quit do so cold turkey.

Yes, I suppose I am also very ignorant talking about the fake cigarette. I only saw and talked with someone that was using one when I was a teenager in the mid 1980‘s. They were dying from cancer and this was the safe alternative. How do you know I’m clueless, were you there? LOL. It was a plastic cigarette that had a filter that looked like a Vantage cigarette filter. This was the only time I saw this cigarette. Then about 7 years back again, there was a commercial with a guy riding in the passenger seat of a convertible, smoking a very short cigar flat filter type fake cigarette which supposedly let the smoker inhale nicotine. I still remember this commercial, because I thought it was so odd to see this guy puffing away on what looked like a cigarette/cigar hybrid that looked like it was already partially smoked from the length of it. I saw the commercial for about 6 months and then never heard or saw from it again. No success stories, nothing.

Honestly, I have no proof of what you say. You say that dozens of forums have people experiencing success with this, but I personally haven’t seen one. Can’t say if it is true or not, but I do know that the other quit smoking forums I belong to are some of the most popular sites on the internet and I haven’t seen one person in the 3 and ½ years I have been on the boards quit smoking with this product. You are the only person. The people you mentioned that are “casual smokers” as you made them out to be, are not as common as you tried to make them out to be. But I did write a post on another board a while back about this exact same topic called, “ People that Can Control Their Smoking.” When you delve deeper into this issue. Most people will find that the social smoker is much rarer than people might think. Besides, being a “social smoker” is really a contradiction.

So for you and many others, smoking is nothing more than a bad habit. OK, so let’s say that smoking is only a bad habit for you. If this is true, then why did you have to wean yourself off of nicotine? If smoking is merely a bad habit as you say it is, then why not just quit smoking the nicotine cold turkey and use your Faux cigarette without nicotine from day one? If it was truly the act of smoking that calmed you, then it would only make sense that you could have taken nicotine out of the equation immediately, correct? Then why didn’t you? People do not wean themselves off of bad habits. Weaning yourself off of a chemical tells me that it is more that just a nasty little habit, it is an addiction.

People that have bad habits, don’t try to quit them over and over with failure as you have said that you have done. People with simple bad habits, don’t try just about every product under the sun to stop doing it as you even stated that you did. People with a simple bad habit of smoking, don’t need to go to a quit smoking forum. You can call it what you want, but it is more than a habit. It’s not that you don’t suffer from addiction as I did. It is simply the degree of addiction that you suffer from.

Again, my issue here is not your method. If you quit, using this Faux cigarette, great, but I think you are phishing. I think you are subtly advertising this to get people interested in this new great thing. Is this correct? Are you looking for people interested in this product so that you may get compensated if you refer people to this product? What is your agenda? You said you didn’t hide your agenda, but really, you never said what it was.

Through out the years on these boards, I have seen people come and go with the latest greatest thing. Teas that you drink for a week and you’re cured. Magnets that ease the craves. Herbs you mix with water that will make you quit and the list goes on. What I usually see is that the people that made these posts don’t talk about quitting smoking or offer support or advice so much to the other people, but time and again simply repeat over and over, talking about the product that they are trying to promote. This is what I have seen with all of your posts.

What’s my agenda? Simply to help people quit smoking, no charge, no hidden fees. To share what others taught me and what I have learned about nicotine addiction and how to free yourself from the physical addiction, the psychological addiction and the removing the belief in the cigarette. To help people understand the misconceptions that smokers have and not only how to quit smoking, but stay quit and love it.

Like I mentioned before, I don’t come here that often and obviously not many other people do either, but I am too busy to keep discussing this with you.

Like I said, my issue is not your method. It is your agenda that I am suspect of.

Eric
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Stop Smoking Strategies Should Not Be Limited to Cold Turkey....
Eric,

Your problem is obvious, you don't like the idea of anyone recommending any system which is not your recommended cold turkey , never mind if it works as described. I don't come here often either, but the bottom line is it works for all but one person I have introduced it to, they still feel the need for a couple tobacco smokes after two months, where I do not. You smoked two packs a day, so needless to say, that is far more than the average. I was half to a pack a day smoker, and this person is a pack plus a day smoker, so I will hopefully see him get off those few cigarettes he still smokes. He is down to half nicotine level in two months, so there is progress.

I don't argue with your methods, and if you have helped others stop from the goodness of your heart, great, you are to be commended. I started out recommending others I know to try this, and when I saw success rates with myself, and others, I would be a fool not to become a distributor for company. It is as simple as that, and since I tell everyone to also register as a distributor, they too can purchase system for $50.00 less, so it is not about the money, it is about showing people an easier way to stop smoking at no cost, and in my book, this serves two purposes, and both are positive.

Peace,
|

replied June 21st, 2008
Experienced User
Whatever,

You obviously read what you want for your convenience of making it seem as if I only support people that quit smoking cold turkey.

Again quote, "Let me be clear on something. Though I take issue with the pharmaceutical industry because I think that they instill fear into people trying to quit and are not as honest as they want to make themselves out to be. I support anyone quitting smoking, no matter what method. I talk with people daily via e-mail or on quit smoking forums that are trying to quit using the patch, gum, Chantix, cold turkey, etc.

While I may recommend people to quit cold turkey. I support everyone quitting and I have many people that will verify this. "
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Helping people stop smoking is issue, not how they do it
Very few can quit cold turkey, and as for pharmaceutical industry, just look at all the advertising dollars the expend, and much of it to induce people into thinking their magic pill is best, so I agree, fear factor is over used in most cases.

I went to a medical office sponsored stop smoking clinic last week to see what was being pushed, and the only thing that was discussed were drugs, how sad was that? What was even more sad is how only a few people showed up, and this was full page ads in local papers for two weeks, now that was really sad.

Anyone who helps people kick the habit and addiction to nicotine is OK with me, and if cold turkey works, great, if drugs work, not as great, but better than smoking, so the point is, whatever works to stop smoking is fine with me, just as long as people stop smoking tobacco.

Wealth Without Health is Worthless
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
Re: StopSmoking
Hey buddy is this possible that i can get rid of my smoking habits by changing the cigarettes .Is there any cigarette available which does nor harm? I want to change my brand from Malboro to that brand if possible. Please reply as i need it desperately.
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2008
Smoking Alternative
Yes,

I use to smoke Marlboro as well, so I know how you acquire a taste of a cigarette and usually stick with it, and I also know it is tough to switch, but in my case, although electronic cigarette is not exactly like a Marlboro, but so close it didn't matter to me for I was more interested in getting off tobacco and the addictiveness of nicotine. And for this, it works, and now that I am off nicotine, only one step left, to stop the electronic smoking too.

Just do a search for FAUX stop smoking cigarette alternative to learn more. From what I have seen, and enjoyed personally, I know it works, and works better than anything else I tried. Of course, everyone is different, but having not seen one person not find this solution the easiest, I expect the industry to explode with all the increased taxes, more public bans, and obviously the health issues of smoking tobacco. Made sense to me, enough to want to spread the word to everyone.

Wealth Without Health is Worthless
|

replied January 4th, 2009
Sorry to revive a Old Post...
It sounds like what the original post was talking about was an "Electronic Cigarette", these really starting taking off about a year ago and they have cartridges.

If you actually look into the devices themself you can assume that they are safer than smoking an ordinary cigarette. For Instance, it's just an electronic nicotine inhaler, the cartridges themselves have Water, Nicotine, Propylene Glycol (Used in Medicine, Food Coloring, Food Flavoring, etc).

The best part about the items is that you can lower the nicotine levels in the cartridges themselves. That way you can slowly ween yourself off of smoking. They smell doesn't linger, not a tobacco instrument so it's not banned at public places (but doesn't mean your allowed to Razz). Best part is that it simulates smoking, but instead of smoke it releases Vapors.

Regardless, I would do a bit of research on them and decide for yourself:

Luckily that's not me Razz
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2009
Electronic Nano Atomizer Tobacco Cigarette Alternative
I have been using this new electronic atomizer technology for over 8 months now, and I would never consider going back to tobacco. I have been off nicotine cartridge since second month, so no longer am I addicted to nicotine, so I pull out my electronic Revelle InLife unit a few times a day and I am totally satisfied with no nervousness as with the nicotine fix I needed with tobacco smoking.

With this market exploding with increasing tobacco tax, never mind the health concerns, I suspect this new technology will become more popular every year. Most still don't know about it, but through word of mouth, it is taking hold. Seeing is believing as most smokers cannot believe it unless they try it, at least, this was my attitude when I first heard about it on CNBC.

Flavor is the issue, most people are so hung up on their personal brand that they would never switch. I have talked to thousands of people and most are not willing to switch to any new brand, and this is amazing. I spoke to a older lady, about 70, standing outside the medical center puffing away, I asked her if she would consider a health safer alternative, and she defended her brand as if she owned company. lol

As with everything, you have to want to change, you have to want to be healthier, and some people will go to the grave smoking, so this is nothing more than an issue of switching brands in my opinion. Sure, plenty of people want to kick habit, and with new year resolutions most make, and for smokers, most make smoking their resolution, electronic smoking is the easiest method I have researched to kick tobacco habit.

I have introduced hundreds to the Revelle-Stop-Smoking alternative, and once people try it, they like it, it smokes like a tobacco cigarette, they satisfy like tobacco, they are a health safe alternative, they are not banned in public, no accidental fire hazzard and they are much cheaper with no tobacco tax since you only need to purchase flavor cartridges once a month. What is there not to like about this new technology?

Wealth Without Health is Worthless.
|

replied January 9th, 2009
Stop Smoking Therapy
It's a good alternative, but as time goes you have to stop the electronic atomizer as this is also somehow or the other affects your health.
It's useful for persons who tries to stop smoking gradually or reduce smoking.
|

replied January 9th, 2009
Experienced User
Quote:
And then you go on to compare this contraption with non alcoholic beer. So you are also saying non alcoholic beer is not a good thing? Sorry, but you have some strange thoughts on these issues of addiction. Sorry, but you sound like a person who is against anything that helps a person kick a bad habit, and then labels them as having signs of deprivation in their lives. If you want to psychoanalyze ones behavior over why they starting to smoke or drink beer to begin with, go ahead, but that is not the issue here, It is one of kicking unhealthy habits, not why they started to begin with, or did you miss that.

However one kicks the habit is fine with me, and if you think nicotine patches or gum, or worse, chantix is the answer, then I question you and your opinion having tried the first two. Drugs is not the answer in my opinion, and this has recently come to light now that pilots are banned from using drugs because they could pass out, so what is your solution, don't start, right, very helpful indeed. lol

Anything that a person finds to help them give up an addiction, such as smoking is good. However, I agree. If you are substituting then you are really not getting at the core of the problem. It is your thinking that needs to change. So, using fake cigarettes to give up smoking might work, but I have my doubts. Until you change your thinking, and realize that anything dealing with nicotene, ie patches and what not, is not really dealing with the issue.

You might get off cigarettes using the fake cigs that are now out. But, actually you will more than likely still think there is something good about smoking, or that you are missing out. That is a dangerous mindset.

Imagine if it were an alcoholic. Would you recommend to a person who has been sober for so many months, or is trying to get sober, that non-alcoholic beer is the best thing to use? Personally, I would not tell a person who was trying to get off from alcohol addiction to drink things that were similar to imitated alcohol. That only keeps the mental addiction and insecurities alive. A total and complete break. No imitation alcholic beverages, going to bars, etc. Just remove yourself from the situation. Once you have changed your thinking and realize that alcohol addiction is also a frame of mind, then you can maybe take some risks. But not in the beggining or when you are weak.

The same for cigaretts. Nicotene gum, patches, etc, just keep the nicotnene addiction going, actually, it prolongs the suffering and agony of a person who does not have the right mind set. People who quit using fake cigarettes, gum, patches, etc probably have enough will power and strength to quit totally on their own. If only they had the proper mindset. I would say, people who use substitutes to quit will have a lot harder time of staying quit than, people who change their thinking.

I have read Allen Carr's book, and first and foremost recommend reading that book and following the instructions before you waste your money and time on these other methods. Especially the fake cigarettes. That is not to say I do not think it would work for some people, but I think it is a waste of money for most people.

Good luck to all who want to quit smoking. Go read the book and you will be happy. This is not a joke.
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2009
Kicking Nicotine Addiction Is Only Answer
Agreed,

No substitute is the total answer, but if you can kick nictine addiction with electronic cigarettes, which I did, then it is easy to quit entirely, but like with everyone, no two peoples addictions are the same. Those who smoke over a pack a day will find addiction more difficult to kick than someone who smokes a half pack a day as example.

Until you can get off nicotine, you will have a difficult time kicking habit. I should know, I found it near impossible, but I have been off nicotine for going on a year, and although I choose to use my electronic cigarette only once or twice a day, at least I can skip it entirely if I choose, in fact, have gone without it for several days with no withdrawal symptoms. I use it because it is crutch when nervous, my pacifier. lol

As you pointed out, whatever works to stop using tobacco is what is important here, and if you can save your health, all the better. I may stop entirely once my units battery or charger needs to be replaced, but I still enjoy sensation of smoking, especailly making smoke rings, another habit, so who knows.

Succees to all,
|
12 >>