Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

Period After Menopause ? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
I am 53 and have not had periods since I was 50---all of a sudden--whamo! here it is? is this a sign of some major problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LibertyAnne
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Here is some info you might find helpful:

"Changes in bleeding are normal as you near menopause. There are also other common causes of bleeding in the years after menopause. The decline in your body's estrogen levels can cause tissues lining the vagina to become thin, dry, and less elastic. Sometimes this lining can become broken or easily inflamed and bleed. It can also become injured during sex or even during a pelvic exam.

Once you've reached menopause, though, you should report any bleeding that you have to your HCP. Uterine bleeding after menopause could be a sign of other health problems. Other things that can cause abnormal bleeding include:

* fibroids
* the use of birth control pills
* a hormonal imbalance
* non-cancerous growths in the lining of the uterus "
womenshealth.about.com/od/menopause/f/meno bleeding.htm

"Postmenopausal bleeding may be caused by:

* hormone (estrogen) replacement therapy
* hormone problems
* atrophy of the vagina, which is thinning and drying of the lining of the vagina
* polyps (small growths) in the uterus or on the cervix
* hyperplasia (enlarged cells) of the lining of the uterus
* infection of the cervix
* cancer of the uterus, cervix, or vagina
* some types of ovarian tumors
* anticoagulants (blood-thinner medicines)."
med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_postmebl_crs.h tm

"Most of the time there is a reasonable explanation for a post-menopausal bleeding event, but any kind of irregular bleeding — particularly if you haven’t had a natural period for over a year — warrants investigation by your healthcare provider — just to rule out anything serious."
womentowomen.com/menopause/postmenopausalb leeding.asp#commoncauses
|

replied July 15th, 2011
That helps but still have a question. I am 46, no period for over a year. I had my blood levels tested and it was confirmed I was in menopause. I am on bio-identical hormones, estrogen and progesterone. Today I started a light period and the symptoms that come with a period. Could the bio-identical hormones be causing this at all? I will call my HCP on Monday, but it's Friday and after reading the posts I'm a little concerned.
|

replied November 28th, 2011
endoblasion and periods
what if i had an endoblasion surgical treatment 4 years ago. 3 days ago i started having black blood clots. its a Holiday,and just got thru to my doctor. He is scheduling me for an ultra sound,but he is out of town till next week. should i wait to see him,or request another doctor?.
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Period After Menopause ?
ME TOO! I wasn't feeling odd or anything .... just went to the bathroom and when I wiped .... there it was! First thing, I called my older sis to see if she'd ever had an experience like it. She'd had a fibroid tumor which preceded a hysterectomy. I don't feel that is my case. I will notify my doctor on Monday. I'd just had my pap just a month ago and it's normal. I will say that about a month ago I had tenderness in my breasts and thought it odd. I didn't have that tenderness or tell-tell signs yesterday. I've noticed fewer hot flashes lately and no night sweats. Maybe it's not a bad thing. I'll be 56 next month and haven't had a period in 2 years.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
I am fifty will be fifty one soon, havent had a period in almost three years and then last night i wiped and there was blood and today a full period. I called health on demand the nurse told me to be seen asap i made a app with obgyn so will find out next week, hopefully it isn't anything to worry about.
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Same thing going on with me. Making appointment tomorrow. On Labor Day everything is closed.
How did things go with you. You don't have to answer that, I understand and respect medical privacy.

I would be glad to share my experience with you.
|

replied September 16th, 2011
If you are in menopause, and have even a tiny amount of spotting for even a day, please get to your doctor immediately. My doctor did an ultrasound, then did a biopsy in her office right after the ultrasound. Without, any other signs then a couple of days of light spotting, my pathology report came back as uterine cancer. Usually I would have put off going to the doctor, I was lucky I went in quickly and they found it while still stage 1. I'm sure there must be other reasons as to spotting after menopause, but if it's what I had, then it's best to catch it early. I am 47 and my pap test 3 months earlier, and recent bloodwork was perfect. Also no pain or other signs of uterine cancer, just a couple of days of tiny spotting.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
I am 45 and have had no periods for 16 months, no signs of menopause, but I started a full period last week. I went in and the doc did blood work confirming I am post menopausal and has scheduled an ultra sound. He is worried there may be tumors in my uterus. I am still having pains from my ovaries as well. Should I be concerned?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I'm experiencing the same thing - sensitive, tender breasts followed by a full period, w/ cramps & all, after about 2 years of really nothing. I'm 50 and have experienced hot flashes. Come to think of it I haven't noticed any hot flashes lately. What I AM doing differently is swimming 3-4x a week, at least a half hour each time for my heart-rate. I lapsed in exercise the last few years. Also, a new garden has produced a ton of fresh tomatoes which I've eaten many almost daily. I wonder if the exercise and nutrition are contributing to this.
I don't plan to go to the doctor. I'm just happy I didn't toss the tampons.
|

replied June 13th, 2012
period after 11 months
read your post and I too have had no period for 11 months and then I decided to go off the estrogen cream I was taking and start exercising and then on the anniversary of my one year without a period I got one. I wasn't concerned till I read the other posts but with this many women having the same thing happen I wonder if it is more normal than they think.
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2012
menastration after menopause
Hi Anacapa, I am experiencing the same thing I'm 58 and stopped having periods about a year and a half ago I began aqua aerobics a while ago and I eat a lot of tomatoes a few days ago I started craving food like cookies and potatoes cant seam to get enough which is not me normally my breast were tender for a few days and now I have what seems to be a light period having had kidney cancer it kinda frightened me but I don't want to go to the DR.
which is why I began to research on line.
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2013
I loved your last line about happy you hadn't tossed the tampons. I am soooo glad I actually had more than just the tampons, which weren't enough for all the bleeding I am experiencing. I had some pads and have had to purchase after three years, another package of stronger pads. I just found this forum and am very anxious to see a gynocologist tomorrow.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
period after menopause
Just read your post....wondering what yours turned out to be ...?
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi risenshine3 and welcome to ehealth...I wish I could help you, but the poster whom you addressed, post was near two years ago...If you would like to, you could post your own Topic on this subject...Just do so at the top of the page....Hope this helps...

Caroline
|

replied June 4th, 2009
I am 52yrs last period Feb.08 and just yesterday started having a heavy period with all symptoms. Spoke to a doctor today who referred me to the local hospital. Anyone know exactly what procedure they will be doing. I have not had a smear test for about 12 years, I know thats a long time.
|

replied June 4th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi again: I answered you on the other post...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
menapause
I am 55 and hadn't had a period in almost 7 years. All of a sudden I was bleeding again (heavy). Went to my doctor and she did a biopsy and I had a blood test. The blood test revealed that I am not in menapause and no cancer. Don't understand this as I went through the hot flahes, night sweats and no period for almost 7 years. Anyone else experiece this?
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Period after menopause
Yes. I am nearly 55, have not had a period for several years and yet I am having a fairly heavy period today, complete with minor cramps and minor persistent hot flashes. In my case I had been on a HRT that was controlling my hot flashes but causing side effects I didn't care for. Got a new prescription but couldn't begin for two days. I wondered if going for two days without a prescription had anything to do with it. I will be calling my NP on Monday to check it out. Ain't it great being a woman?!
|

replied July 14th, 2012
No Periods for 7 yrs.
47, no periods since 40. Tests say not in Menapause, GYN exam normal, tests are all normal, ultrasound says normal, Doc wanted me to have procedure where they take a part of your cervix, and I ask why? If everything is normal why put me through this procedure. I believe I have gone through the change of life. I have 7 healthy children and had 2 medically needed abortions.
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
period after menopause
I know you posted this in 2009, but I have the same thing going on now. Guess I am gonna call doc today. Was wondering the out come of your situation? - Annette
|

replied July 7th, 2009
bleeding too after menopause
I am soon to be 55 and have not had a period in well over a year and started 3 days ago. I have all the symptoms to, cramps etc. I noticed last week I was having mini-hot flashes which I have never had before and felt bloated. So Wed I have a medical appoint.
|

replied August 4th, 2009
period after menopause
I am 52 and have not had a period in well over 3 years. Two weeks ago I had sore nipples, a thicker vaginal discharge and felt bloated... as if I was going to have a period. Then 3 days later, my discharge turned a brown color and then to red... I was bleeding! I went to the gyn. I had a pelvic exam. She ordered hormone blood tests, a CA125, and a trransvaginal ultrasound. It turns out that I have 2 cysts. One on each ovary. The CA125 was within normal range. The estrogen test indicated perimenopause whereas the FSH indicated menopause. The doctor thinks that I had a period. Regardless, I am going to have a repeat ultrasound in 4 to 6 weeks to keep a watch on the cysts. Also worth mentioning, my doctor suggested I consider having my ovaries removed since my mother has ovarian cancer.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
Had a period after not having one in 18 months
I am 57 and had a period last month (July) after not having one for 18 months. I went to my doctor and had a Pap done, however, because I was bleeding heavily, the lab could not do the test. I do have an appointment this Friday with a gynocologist, just to rule out any problems. I will post my results when I find them. My suggestion to all of the ladies who suddenly have a period after many, many months or years of not having one is to go to your doctor right off.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
I am 44 and haven´t had a period for almost two years. Today I have had some blood with clots and I have been having pelvic pain for days. I have a smeer test every year and an vaginal ultrasound one as well. the last one was around 9 months ago, I am very worried and made an appointment with my gynecologist who will see me in two days.
|

replied August 14th, 2009
I am 58, have not had a period for 7 years. Had a little spotting in April and 5 days light period in July. Saw Dr., did vaginal ultrasound and biopsy. Everything ok except for thick uterine lining. Evidently, I am now premenopausal. Will have blood work done next week. Will take progesterone 10 days each month for 3 months to force a period and thin lining. Write more later
|

replied September 6th, 2009
I also have not had a period since January 2009 until today. I will be 58 in October. I, too, have had extremely painful breasts for about the last 10 days. I think I must be the oldest person still having periods. I will be making an appointment as well.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
Hormonal Imbalance?
I am 53, have been full menopause for 7 years. 10 days ago I began to experience sore breasts, and my nipples were so sensitive and painful I couldn't wear a bra. Last night I noticed pink when I wiped, thought it was a bladder infection coming on, but no bladder symptoms. This morning, realized vaginal discharge. Am really worried, since have not had a period for 7 years. Hormonal imbalance? I started CoQ10 about a month ago, and wonder if that is what is shaking up my system? Anyone have input?? Thanks!
|

replied July 5th, 2012
getting a period after menopause
Hello, though this post is 2 yrs old I thought I would add my 2 cents. About a month or so ago, I developed all the signs of getting my period. Extremely tender nipples, discharge, etc...but I have been in menopause for around 6 yrs. And I did bleed though not as heavy as a normal period. I called and made an appt with my clinic and I had an ultrasound and than was scheduled for a biopsy. I was told my endomitrium was thick (a 4?) and gyno who did my biopsy told me that was borderline at best but we did the biopsy anyway. I was thrilled to get a call from her telling me no cancer. But still wondering why I had this period. Always get checked for any bleeding after menopause. I am so glad I did.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I am having same thing.menopause for 2 years, then a period last feb and now 8 months later another normal 5 day period.Could this be a normal part of the menopause process?like a "last call" for reproduction? I am going to gyn today. she said this is uncommon, but I hear from many women who experience this. wondering about some of you fared?
|

Debgen, I have been taking coq 10 also but not every day and herbs and wondered same thing.maybe we are getting younger? lol I am 56. let me know how yours comes out please.
|

Menopause
Hi Luckyd!
I went to GYN on Monday. She said it was not surprising and that she often has 65 year old women show up reporting same symptoms. All my bloodwork was fine except high TSH. I am on Iodoral 25 mcg. per day. Hoping that kick starts my thyroid. I had the discharge for approximately two full weeks, and friends cautioned uterine cancer. My doc did my Pap and she does inner and outer cervix. The inner one was inconclusive so I will repeat in January. I go for an internal ultrasound on the 12th of this month, and see the doc right after. She said this will prove conclusively if I need the CA125 test for ovarian cancer. I have a history of ovarian cysts for 20 years now and that is why they do the ultrasound. Last year, the lining of my uterus was very thin, which is a really good indicator that there is no cancer. Anyway, that is an update, and I am still taking the CoQ10, but here is a funny,....I was taking 2 Tablespoons every morning first thing. The lady at the store where I bought it told me that was the dose and she was handing out samples, which I tried. Well, I read the bottle yesterday just out of curiosity, and the directions read 2 TEASPOONS per day! Been taking it for over a month! Hasn't hurt, but hasn't seemed to help much, except the palpitations are less frequent for which I am so very, very, thankful!!! Have a good day luckyd!
|

replied March 15th, 2014
TNANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY TO THE END!
|

replied October 29th, 2009
All of my follow up with the GYN has indicated that I simply had a period after not having one for over 3 years. The 2 cysts disappeared. But as a precaution, I will return in Feb, 2010, for a repeat vaginal ultrasound to rule out Ovarian Cancer. My mom has it.
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Smart move...You are a very wise woman....Take care...

Caroline
|
Quick Reply