Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Birthmark Cancerous ?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have very light skin, blue eyes and red hair and was born with a flat birthmark on the back of my leg. Through the years it has become raised. Now it has developed dark brown spots in various areas of my birthmark. I'm not sure how long ago this showed up due to it being hard for me to look at it.

After I noticed the color changes, I then became concerned and checked all over for any other changes. I have 3 new (not sure how long they have been there) smaller black scabby moles, near my knees, 2 on one leg and one on the other. It appears as though you could scratch them right off but you can't. Just like a scab, all black in the center of a small mole. Have no idea what this could be.

I also have 2 moles on my back that are a light brown with a dark spot on each one.

I have also had 2 moles that were flat and resembled a donut. They were both perfect circles, but the borders were a darker brown color and then the center had a dark spot. Like I said, picture a donut shape. Not sure how long I've had those but they have faded almost to nothing and I've never heard of that happening.

Anyway, I guess my question is, if these are cancerous, is it possible to have more than one at a time?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SaraP
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
I think it would be very wise for you to make an appointment with a dermotologist. First you live in sunny Florida....you are fair skinned and have moles that you yourself have noticed changes. I had one come up on back of my leg. Thought it was deer tick. Was solid black. Removed and determined malignant melanoma. Caught it in time. Had the mohls surgery and lymph node removal to ensure no spreading. This was 7 years ago. I go every year now and have a total body scan checking for suspecious sites. I am not saying what you have is cancer, but htey could very well be. Its best to have this nipped in the bid now, the longet you wait, the faster it can spread. For peace of mind, go and have these places looked at please? I am blonde and fair skinned, and abused the sun when younger...also had my share of tanning bed sessions....Not anymore. I do not go outside without sunblock 50! Hope everything goes well for you! Laughing
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Re: Birthmark Cancerous?
SaraP wrote:
I have very light skin, blue eyes and red hair and was born with a flat birthmark on the back of my leg. Through the years it has become raised. Now it has developed dark brown spots in various areas of my birthmark. I'm not sure how long ago this showed up due to it being hard for me to look at it.

After I noticed the color changes, I then became concerned and checked all over for any other changes. I have 3 new (not sure how long they have been there) smaller black scabby moles, near my knees, 2 on one leg and one on the other. It appears as though you could scratch them right off but you can't. Just like a scab, all black in the center of a small mole. Have no idea what this could be.

I also have 2 moles on my back that are a light brown with a dark spot on each one.

I have also had 2 moles that were flat and resembled a donut. They were both perfect circles, but the borders were a darker brown color and then the center had a dark spot. Like I said, picture a donut shape. Not sure how long I've had those but they have faded almost to nothing and I've never heard of that happening.

Anyway, I guess my question is, if these are cancerous, is it possible to have more than one at a time?

After doing a little more research online, I am now concerned about lymph nodes, located in both armpits. On the right side my lymph node (I'm thinking this is what it is) is HUGE, the size of an egg. The left side was just as large but now it is smaller. To be honest, I feel like a fool now by not being concerned about this. My lymph nodes have been swollen for a solid year if not more. I haven't been sick if anything I'm mostly tired, but I am an at home mother and more than likely that is the cause.

They aren't painful unless I feel them. But when I lift up my arm, it is very noticable you don't even have to feel it to see it....

Freakin out over here now......I have an appt. this coming Monday. I will update. I wish it could be sooner, I'm driving myself crazy!
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
You've made a step in the right direction. I am so glad and happy you are going to have this looked at. Sometimes lymph nodes swell for various reasons. You are gonna be just fine! I ma proud of you for making htat appointment! Keep me posted! Laughing
|