Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

I'm So Bad (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
i could not help it, i was soo tired this morning. Is a 12 oz cup of coffee going to hurt my bebe? I feel like a bad mom, but i have to function at work and be perky (i answer the phones).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
they say just keep it under 3 cups of coffee a day (or the equivalent)
so no worries Smile
it doesnt make you a bad momma or even close to one.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Experienced User
ok... i was told i could have a minute amount of caffiene so I was having the occasional coke (i live in GA, where they ask you "what kind of coke do you want" with your meal) but i was shying away from coffee due to colic? I want to do everything in my power to avoid having a colicy beebe.
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
people will tell you different things about colic..ive heard every debate there is on it on this forum.. everywhere from what to do for it to there is no such thing.
ive actually never heard that caffeine would cause colic.. ive just heard that it can cause add or adhd..
And even with that they dont know how much is too much because there really hasnt been enough research to show a direct correlation. We dont know how much is too much or when it starts to effect a fetus.

edited because it was 6 am and i spelled caffeine wrong......
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
they say to limit your caffeine intake, do you know what they consider a limited amount?

3 cups of coffee (not too outlandish)

or 6 cans of coke!

who drinks 6 cans of coke a day?!

i've never heard of caffeine intake during pregnancy being related to colic. now that i think about it i guess i could see caffeine during breastfeeding maybe contributing to colic, but i don't know.

one of my strongest cravings was coke and i drank at least 2 cans a day and i have the happiest baby in all the land.
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
they have decaf coke if you're interested. it's also diet though so of course that might start a debate about artificial sweeteners lol. but i guess if you're looking for a pick me up it's the caffeine that you want anyway.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Experienced User
ok i will admit back in the day (several years ago during college) I could and would polish of a 12 pack of coke on a saturday evening Embarassed
But that ended a few years ago when i decided it was time to loose weight.
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'm a heavy coffee drinker, and always have been. When .I was pregnant .I couldn't stand the taste of it, but not having any caffiene was giving me severe headaches, and withdrawals. I asked my doc and she said that a couple cups of coffee or a couple cans of soda a day would not hurt the baby at all. She said it was better that .I felt as good as possible than worry about that. I drank a can of Mt. Dew in the morning. I still don't drink coffee at home.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Experienced User
I've drank tea and coffee all the way through my pregnancy as I didn't realise it was linked to stuff like that just thought the caffeine made their heart rate faster. Shocked I have like 3 cups of tea and a coffee a day. Embarassed
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
that's funny. the one thing my doctor keeps telling me is "no pop". she even told me that today. she said "don't have a big baby. don't drink pop". she's never said anything about my weight gain but she said she would rather i drank diet soda if i had to have it. but i know some people think artificial sweeteners are really bad. it's all so confusing. you never know who to listen to. i've just been trying to severely limit my intake of pop whether it's diet or not and if i do drink coffee it's one cup on saturday mornings. any more than that and i start feeling sick.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Experienced User
to be honest the more i read the less i believe. Don't drink this don't eat that. Geez. I know that there are real health risks out there but i think when it comes down to it, no one knows for sure so they tell us preggers to stay away from everything. even when we can't eat anything (dude, my toothpaste makes me gag).

i'm still going to have the occasional coffee or coke.
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I do.. the way i figure it most things only hurt you in large quantity.. like sweet and low.. one packet in a ice tea isnt going to give me cancer..
plus i drink diet coke too.. id rather that then gain 80 lbs (which i think would hurt the baby more then the occasional diet coke)
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My doctor told me that she drank pop whenever she was pregnant. She did tell me though not to drink diet. She even said that if they had taken her coffee away from her she would've never gotten pregnant the second time. The only thing that my dr told me to limit is hot dogs. She said that it's too much bang for the buck. lol. anyways, I am starting to think it really doesn't matter. I think that too much sugar is probably harmful though. I don't want to get GD.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I never drank coffee with my first child but do drink a cup of coffee, around 6 ounces, with this child. That does not include the caffeine I get from Chocolate. This child does seem to be a little more active in womb than nathan but his heart rate is actually a little lower. It may not even be related to caffeinated products. I do feel a little guilty. I just don't like some of the looks you get from people if you get a little cup of coffee in public. I ignore them. I went to starbucks the other day and ordered a small vanilla latte. The lady looked at me up and down and asked if it was decaf. I smiled and said, "Nope!" Grrr......

Limit hotdogs...why? I have been eating a lot of those...oh no!!! Shocked
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think she wanted me to limit hot dogs cause my husband told on me and informed her that was eating like 3 a day. That was in the beginning and she said she didn't want me to gain too much weight. Well, I cut most of them out and I have still gained 50 lbs! Argh!
|

replied June 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
i've tried pretty hard to keep eating healthy throughout this pregnancy notwithstanding the ocassional slurpee or burger king. i don't think i've really overeaten the whole time but i still put on, as of now, about 52 pounds!! my blood pressure and the babies heart rate have been perfect throughout. i think my weight gain is mostly attributable to the fact that i haven't been as active as i would have been without going for surgery. that whole thing took the wind out of my sails for a while and i never really got back on track, now i can barely move around. i drink diet pop but not every day. i drink slurpees but not every week. i eat hot dogs but not cold cuts. i drink one cup of coffee a week. i think moderation and appetite control are important. gaining over 50 pounds in such a short time is hard on the knees!
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yep! I was also on bed rest for about three to four weeks and then placed on moderate bed rest for along time after that. I think that pretty much did me in with the weight gain. I haven't been as good as you, Karen, about watching what I eat. I love Cheese Dogs and have at least six a week. "Moderation" is not in my vocabulary.

I went swimming again yesterday and it was even worse getting out of the pool. I felt so light in the pool (it was wonderful) and when I actually had to get out, my knees were almost giving out. I could barely walk to the chair. I also was wearing my maternity swimsuit that I wore during my last pregnancy and could only get it half way down my belly. It was actually pretty funny. Gosh, I am whale. You know, I actually don't care about being "whalish" anymore. I wanted a swim and took one! My husband and I discussed that after this baby, we will be joining a gym and I will be hiring a personal trainer to train my behind back into shape. Let's just hope I get past the darn orientation. I am also the master of excuses.

Musikmaker: I didn't know you have also gained 50 lbs!! Welcome to the club:) How far are you now??

Sorry Assena, I got off your original post. Your are not a bad mom. I think your baby will be just fine. A lot of us have coffee or caffeinated products and our docs and books say that three cups of coffee or less should be just fine.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Experienced User
Lady do not worry about getting off track... this has been an amusing thread. and here i am worried at 8 weeks and gaining 8 lbs. I have been lucky no morning sickness, but with that comes other things like trying to moderate my hunger. Shocked I really hope that i don't gain 50 lbs due to the fact I am already about 35/ 40lbs overweight to begin with.

I wonder if my regular swimsuit fits... i would love to go for a swim this evening... it has been too hot here.

** also i tempted fate and had a turkey sandwich on sourdough for lunch.. wow was that tasty!
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Assena wrote:

** also i tempted fate and had a turkey sandwich on sourdough for lunch.. wow was that tasty!

Oh, that sounds so good!!! I am sure you can fit into your swimsuit. They are stretchy!!

Where do you live? This heat is killing me. It is around 90 degrees here in Idaho, but at least it's not humid.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Experienced User
[quote="ladylee70"]
Assena wrote:

Where do you live? This heat is killing me. It is around 90 degrees here in Idaho, but at least it's not humid.

I live in Hotlanta... aka Atlanta, GA. (well about 30 miles north of atl) Where it is currently a balmy 87 degrees (and that is with a cold front that just came thru) and it is always humid here although not as bad as lousianna or texas. it seems to always be hot here.. even in the winter
|
12 >>
Quick Reply