Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Trichomonas, Sex And Prevention

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I believe I have the vaginal infection called Trichomonas. I am currently taking the medication metronidazole to treat it.

Is it okay for me to have protected sex whilst undergoing the treatment?
Also, are there any prevention methods for this or similar conditions?

Thanks,
Rachel
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2007
um... jmo... i wouldn't want to have any kind of sex or have anyone come near me... trich produces a very bad smell that i definitley would not want anyone to notice and i dunno if i would want to risk passing it on to someone... i would feel horrible

someone please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't trich have the ability to live for 24 hours outside of the body... like on bedsheets and clothing?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
"...both partners should be treated at the same time to eliminate the parasite. Persons being treated for trichomoniasis should avoid sex until they and their sex partners complete treatment and have no symptoms...

The surest way to avoid transmission of sexually transmitted diseases is to abstain from sexual contact, or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who has been tested and is known to be uninfected.

Latex male condoms, when used consistently and correctly, can reduce the risk of transmission of trichomoniasis."
http://www.cdc.gov/std/Trichomonas/STDFact -Trichomoniasis.htm
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
embe wrote:

someone please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't trich have the ability to live for 24 hours outside of the body... like on bedsheets and clothing?

According to this site:

"Because the trich protozoa can live outside the body for 45 minutes it is possible to contract trichomoniasis if you come into contact with infected towels, bedding, or bathing suits. However, it is very rare to contract the infection in this way."
http://www.epigee.org/health/trich.html
|

replied April 20th, 2009
how did humans get this i keep looking for anwers
im just wondering how human got this trichomonas did it come out the air or animals
|

replied May 15th, 2009
hi
we are the same...i also wonder where it was came from..i really confused about it...somebody help...
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I believe that this comes from penis to vaginal intercourse...One is infected...Multiple sexual partners figures into this disease...A condom or a monogamous relationship is the best way to avoid it...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Supporter
when i was in a 5 year relationship we always used condoms and i never had a yeast infection or bacterial infection. prior to that relationship i was sleeping with a guy w/o a condom and i knew he was with other people and i would always get a yeast/bacteria infection.
just be careful b/c you never know who has what today.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
hi..how could we know if the guy had it?the trich? i had diagnosed about trichomonas and done the treatment for 10 days..but after 10 days i still noticed that i still have the yellow discharges in my vagina. i was very confused about it so when i went to Thailand i went to see the doctor the ob then he pap smear me again then he said the trich has gone but still there is bacteria on it...he pescribed us the anti bacteial which is the amoxil, flagyl and the capsule...i want my patner to be checked up also but the doctor said its useless to have a test in the guy because tich cannot be seen in the boy's organ..so what he did is just he advise my partner to take amoxil too for a prevention of the tric.. so we thought we are safe making love for that we know that we have anti bacterial capsule..but a week after i noticed that the symptoms of trich came bach coz i feel itchy again and burning and the's yellow discharges in my underwear .. what i want to know is that

is trichomonas invisible to the man's organ? how could we be sure that our partner don;t have this kind of virus?
please help me, my partner insist that he doesn't have trich and he started to have a doubt that i have a contact to another guy...
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
Supporter
if you have it, he has it, and both of you have to take the medication and not have sex for two weeks because all you will do is reinfect each other.
guys dont usually have symptoms, but they still have to take the medication.
i would start using condoms.
why?
if you keep getting this disease you can become infertile.
get checked out again, and use condoms, so you wont have to worry about this again.
condoms isnt so bad. i used them for five years and i havnt gotten a yeast infection, material infection or any weird discharges, or odors.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
I took my medicine almost a week and a half ago and I had sex lastnight should I be okay now???
|

replied June 13th, 2012
trich
Just found out todat I've got trich. I'm confused as to whether my boyfiend gave it to me. I'm very very hypocondriac about sti/std that I have regular check ups for everything every month. I got checked 4 weeks back and every was good,but I've been having severe abdominal cramping & sensitivity around the vagina (nothing else) in the past week that I decided to visit doctor, hence I found out about the trich.
My boyfriend says he got checked 2weeks ago & was ok. So I confused as to who gave it to who?... Help
|

replied June 13th, 2012
Just found out todat I've got trich. I'm confused as to whether my boyfiend gave it to me. I'm very very hypocondriac about sti/std that I have regular check ups for everything every month. I got checked 4 weeks back and every was good,but I've been having severe abdominal cramping & sensitivity around the vagina (nothing else) in the past week that I decided to visit doctor, hence I found out about the trich.
My boyfriend says he got checked 2weeks ago & was ok. So I confused as to who gave it to who?... Help
|