Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Could I Be Allergic to Pads? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
When i'm on my period I wear pads, and when I have one on the skin on my inner thighs that touchs the pad begins to sort of burn and turn black and peel. So could I have a allergic reaction to pads?, and what should I do about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper slang
|

replied June 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Holy cow. I would not use pads anymore!!

Have you ever used tampons? There is also the option of a menstrual cup, and that's the one I suggest. Many are made of latex so if you're allergic to that, there are non-latex ones as well. They are all hypo-allergenic, and bonuses abound. I have a diva cup! I could not survive my period in the hot Florida summer with pads or slimy tampons.
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I have never heard of anyone being allergic to pads, but I can't say it's impossible. You could mention it to your ob-gyn or try different brands too.
|

replied July 5th, 2007
I think that I may be allergic to pads too! I get a bad rash, and then a couple weeks later, I get dry flaky skin. I use Always, which have some plasticy layer to them, and they also have that gel. So I'm thinking maybe I need to switch to something that is made up of more cotton. Maybe you should try switching brands also.
|

replied July 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, pure cotton ones could help. The ones with plastic feel so icky and sticky don't they?
|

replied July 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
whoa ive nevr herd of that!
but are they the scented kind? because maybe your allergic to the scented stuff?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Try the Stay Free pads, they are made from cotton and don't have that nasty a$$ "wetness protector liner" plastic thingy thats too gross. These are absorbent and don't seem to bother my daughter, who is allergic to LOTs of things, latex being one.... Good luck!
|

replied July 31st, 2007
Allergy
I second that! Do the 100% cotton pad...Stay Free!...The dry weave in those other pads is what makes me allergic.
My daughter, too....and by the way, my daughter at age 15 had toxic shock syndrome. Almost died. She can now only wear pads...and nothing else...not even that diva cup.
|

replied February 10th, 2009
Help
ummm yea that kinda happened to me but like ive used pads almost all the time.
but a couple days ago where the pad hits my thighs it got bumpy and itched and burned.
cause my mom is allergic to latex also.
and i also use always the scented kind.
do u think a have the same thing?
|

replied February 10th, 2009
i had the same problem
i just recently found out that i am allergic to scented pads. It looked as if i had an std between my legs. Well i am back to normal now and tampons feel way better than that diaper feeling i get from pads!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2009
what do i do!?
i itch really bad and little red dots come up from my irritated skin. i hate wearing pads cuz they are so gross and feel like a diaper! plus, i think im allergic to them! i need to use tampons but im scared to.. any advice??
|

replied June 7th, 2009
The upper liner of some of the pads has latex, and if you have an allergy the constant rubbing against the skin can cause rashes, itching, burning and peeling. I think you should stop using the pads ASAP until you can find a brand without latex. The same thing happened to me while using Always brand, and it also gave me what I thought was a yeast infection for 4 months straight -- turned out it was irritation from the latex pad (I have a mild allergy that developed over the past couple of years).

Stayfree seems to work for me, I'd try that. But since the companies are not required to list latex as a component, I'd just contact them directly.
|

replied December 7th, 2011
Thank you so much for your post. I thought I was crazy. I have been wearing Always pad from the beginning. They changed the materials. I have a moderate allergy to Latex, but I know daily exposure is serious. Switching to cotton today!
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Can I ask, how did you clear up your symptoms? I too have developed similar symptoms after using the always pads. Did they clear up on their own, or did you have to get medical treatment?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Sounds like an allergy to the outer layer of the pad. You can try reusable cloth pads.
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
I never knew that you could be allergic to pads until just days ago. I was using the stayfree (which I've used for YEARS) but I used the DryMax version which has a different top liner. I ended up with raw red skin and tiny red bumps. It hurts to walk/sit/stand/lay down. And worst of all it hurts to pee. So deffinetly check out the brands that have mostly cotton or cotton top layers.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
I am experiencing some red like bump right now which also hurt to walk and sit, I thought it was herpes but now I think its the scented pads I used a few days ago.
|

replied August 15th, 2010
ALLERGIC TO ALWAYS PADS
I just experienced this same problem and yea, i freaked out too cuz I am so very concerned for my health. I was wearing pads from Aldi (very thin, with a cotton outer covering) for a slight stress incontience problem. Well I ran out and went to another store and bought some ALWAYS pads becasue they are thin too. I thought i was going to SCREAM from the burning and sever itch that occurred while i wore them!! I bought tube after tube of yeast infection medications thinking they would help...not!!! In the case of some of them, (Vagasil specifically) it made the problem WORSE!!!! Luckily, I had some big bulky cotton pads here at home and after a good washing and dry, i put one on and it was a HUGE difference! I'm not saying that it was immediately cured, but it was drastically reduced and the more i wore the cotton ones, the better it got. I still occasionally get a hint of a twinge but it soon resends and i am ok.
ALWAYS PADS NEED A DISCLAIMER ON THEN THAT SAYS SOME PEOPLE WILL EXPERIENCE AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO THEM!!!!
|

replied August 30th, 2010
always pads
yup just had the same thing happen with always thin pads. even went and got std tested and tried yeast infection meds. man it was terrible. but then I put one on to help with the yeast infection cream and HUGE flare up again.
|

replied September 20th, 2010
After suffering for almost a decade with what seemed to be a continous yeast infection, my doctor (who had been dismissing my complaints based on the fact that my cultures always came back negative) finally referred me to an OB-GYN for consultation. The first thing she asked me at my initial appointment today was whether I only used Always pads. When I responded "yes", she said that that was my problem, and to stop using them right away, since they're "toxic". She advised switching to cotton pads and gave me a prescription for a steroid cream to help clear up the irritation (apparently discontinuing the use of the pads is simply not enough to clear up the problem at this point, and I'll need months of treatment). She didn't mention anything about it being a latex issue, however my family doctor does suspect that I have a latex allergy. While on one hand I'm relieved to finally have a diagnosis, I'm furious to find out that it's caused by a product that is purportedly safe...never even crossed my mind that the pads were the problem since, as I mentioned, the symptoms were continuous.
|

replied November 10th, 2010
Allergy to pads
I too have just been through two medications and have suffered for about 3 months from terrible itching, skin irritation etc. I decided it was the Always pads. I can't believe how companies never list what is in there pads. It's all about the almighty dollar. I will never purchase their pads again.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2011
I'm allergic to pads period, it's not as bad when I use u by kotex but pads make my skin really red and bumpy, so i switched soaps which I can only use dial antibacterial I was using yellow and switched to white and it helped a lot. After wearing pads I get chafed all in my butt wherever the pad touches, and once my cycle is over and I stop wearing pads my skin peels and it looks like carpet burn..it is horrible..idk what to do
|

replied February 25th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Use the google and look for 'cloth menstrual pad', and if you are handy, 'cloth menstrual pad pattern'

Best of luck!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply