Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

vaginal & perineum redness & rawness

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
so i have this vaginal redness, rawness even on my perineum that has been botheirng me for a few days. i went to the doctor just to see if it could be herpes though i should no signs of it being such. she looked and didnt' see any signs of herpes, though she did take a culture just for good measure and then somehow reassured me that she is fairly confident that the tests would come back negative. i have no bumps, no puss, no itching, discharge or anything. it's only on my perineum, no where else, no sores like it any where else. i did a little more research and this term "vulvodynia" seems more accurate to what i am feeling. I have no idea what's gon on with my body. Doesn't burn when I pee unless it touches that area, if you apply pressure to my perineum in the red, raw area, it hurts. Maybe my thongs were rubbing (i am an avid thong wearer)... i have no idea. please help!! Is it herpes or am i over reacting? Again, I have no symptoms that are signs of herpes, no fatigue, no scars, no puss, no blisters, no itching, nothing....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Doesn't sound much like herpes. I would avoid the thongs for a while if I were you. Cotton granny panties would probably be your best bet. Or if you are lounging around the house in cotton pajama pants, you could go without underwear altogether.

Always make sure you are well lubricated before you have sex too. Having sex while you are dry can make you irritated, swollen, red, or painful. However, you might want to avoid sex for at least a couple days so you don't irritate it any further.

Also pay attention to any new soaps or detergents you might have used as some of that stuff can irritate women. Latex and spermicides can also irritate women, so you might want to avoid condoms and spermicides until you're healed too.
|

replied June 18th, 2007
thank you for your help! You did make me feel better. LOL i looked at everything from every angle!!! It didnt' look like it to me and apparently not to the doctor. She gave me neosporin to help and it seems to. She also gave me like a 7 day supply of valtrex just in case. she spoke like she was expecting them to come back negative. just the waiting kills me. when i get home, i wear granny panties and put neosporin on it which does seem to help. i sure do keep looking to make sure i don't see anything new. Haven't seen anything yet and am hoping that it stays that way. wish me luck! One other question for anyone who reads it, and those who have replied, i'm in no way negating your opinion, but how do you ask a doctor as well?
|

replied June 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
So you have two usernames you're posting with on here? You do realise you posted the same question three times?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Help
I cant help but reply to your questions and concerns. Please ask your doctor to do a blood test that specifically looks for herpes viris.

I tested negative on a culture three years ago and two yrs ago I had so much doubt that I finally demanded a blood test. The test came back pos.
The emotional rollar coaster that I went through was horrible.

You need to know for sure. I would not wish that kind of fear on anyone. But I understand what you are going through. Its tough.

It doesnt sound at all like herpes though. I dont think you have much to worry about. If its pos your life is not over, you can have a great sex life afterwords.

Sorry probably too much info, but I want to help.
|