Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Leukemia Symptoms ?

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
I am a 33 yo male who has been generally healthy up until about a year ago. For the past year I have become more and more fatigued; just basically no energy. I saw a doctor for an unrelated problem (sudden rapid heart rate) that was diagnosed as benign. However, the bloodwork showed that my white cell count was significantly raised at 18. The dr. didn't seem too concerned and sent me on my way. I later developed a pain in my side under my ribs where the spleen is located. It lasted for about 2 months and seemed to go away. I had started to be concerned but when it went away I put it out of my mind. Another episode of svt sent me to the dr. again. Still it was determined to be no big deal but the bloodwork showed I still had a high white cell count at 16. I didn't tell him about the pain as it was gone then. Then pain has returned after 2 months of being gone. I am still exhausted as usual with the pain and headaches now and a general achiness. Also, I have noticed a few pinpoint red specks on my skin; only a few though. My question is would an enlarged spleen from leukemia or other cancer come and go like that? Are my symptoms indicative of leukemia? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 27th, 2007
Leukaemia Symptoms
Hi,

I was diagnosed with leukaemia (CML) in 2001, had Bone Marrow transplant in 2002. Permanent fatigue and enlarged spleen were amongst the symptoms that I had prior to my treatment. However, having enlarged spleen (splenomegaly) does not necessarily mean that you have leukaemia, it can be caused by other health related problems as well.
My advice to you is to see a Doctor or a Haematologist; they will be able to tell you what causes your symptoms. Do not wait until it is too late, leukaemia can be treated if detected at an early stage.
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2008
Experienced User
wow i have the exact same thing! i went to the doctor and he said i have tachycardia (rapid heart rate above 120 bpm)and thats it and now i have new syntoms like enlarged lynph nodes, and stuff too. I know how u feel, and i dont know what to do either.
|

replied August 29th, 2011
High white count
For 2 years my white blood count came back higher than normal. I kept going back to the doc cause I just didn't feel like my normal self. I finally had enough of the doc not caring that my count was high for 2 years and blew up at him. He finally looked at my chart sitting there in his lap and knew he messed up. He sent me to a hematologist and I had bone marrow biopsy and was confirmed that I have leukemia (cll). Go to a hematologist, oncologist and they will probably do a biopsy.
|