Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Trouble Losing Weight Even While Exercising And Eating Right (Page 1)

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
For the past three weeks, I have been working out between 4-5 days a week, jogging for 30 minutes at 5.5 mph, speed walking for 15 minutes at 3.5 mph, and using the eliptical for 15 minutes at 6.0 mph. I then alternate days of using weights with my abs and weights with my legs for a half hour. Before I went off to college I was 125 lb. Two years later, I am now 140 lb. I would like to get back to my normal weight. I eat about 1500-1700 cal per day, and eat lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, water, and a multi-vitamin. I feel that I am doing everything right, but since the beginning of three weeks I am still 140 lb. Is it because I am gaining muscle by working out a lot? I am getting really frustrated and discouraged because I am not seeing the results on the scale. I have no idea what I can even change because I feel that I am doing everything right to lose weight. Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pastorgbc
|

replied August 2nd, 2007
It's only been three weeks, so be patient, it takes longer for some people to lose weight than others. It seems like you're doing things right, make sure you're also getting the proteins and carbohydrates in there. Because of fad diets, most people think right away, "Carbs are bad!" But in actuallity, carbohydrates are necessary for energy. Just make sure you eat the right proportions of everything, and make sure your diet is actually balanced. (Like certain vitamins make certain minerals absorb better, etc.)
But yes, you will gain weight in muscle, which is a good thing. A few years ago, I weighed...very little, actually underweight, which was due to a lack of muscle mass, and had gained about 10 pounds in a year after doing exercises to increase strength, but was still about the same measurement around.
I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you if there's any defficiency or anything, but it seems as if you're doing things right but are just expecting certain results immediately. But, like I said, I'm not a doctor.
|

replied August 16th, 2007
It will take longer than three weeks to see results, women have a harder time losing weight than most men do. Keep working at it. If you've had kids, or even if you havn't, losing 20 more lbs is alot. I had Smartlipo done to help with cellulite and lose skin. It gave me more confidence in my body. I have been really active most of my life but now I feel sexy. I play raquet ball, swim, run...pretty much anything I can to be active. Sometimes it's not enough.
|

replied August 24th, 2007
Re: Trouble Losing Weight Even While Exercising And Eating R
asloa2097 wrote:
For the past three weeks, I have been working out between 4-5 days a week, jogging for 30 minutes at 5.5 mph, speed walking for 15 minutes at 3.5 mph, and using the eliptical for 15 minutes at 6.0 mph. I then alternate days of using weights with my abs and weights with my legs for a half hour. Before I went off to college I was 125 lb. Two years later, I am now 140 lb. I would like to get back to my normal weight. I eat about 1500-1700 cal per day, and eat lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, water, and a multi-vitamin. I feel that I am doing everything right, but since the beginning of three weeks I am still 140 lb. Is it because I am gaining muscle by working out a lot? I am getting really frustrated and discouraged because I am not seeing the results on the scale. I have no idea what I can even change because I feel that I am doing everything right to lose weight. Help!

First, congratulations on making the decision to get exercise. It does not sound like you are in that poor of shape.

Here are a couple of observations:

1. You are doing too much cardio. Since you are not in that poor of shape, your body is fairly efficient. If you do that much cardio, you will be operating in the aerobic range, which is great for the heart, but does not burn fat. I would reduce your cardio to no more than 4 times a week, and not for more than 30 minutes each shot.

2. I would add some upper body weight training exercises. Weight training has a better affect on the basal metabolic rate than cardio does; that is, you will burn more calories while you are at rest when you workout with weights.

3. You give your caloric intake, but you do not say how often you eat, nor do you say how you are getting your protein. You may find it is better to have 5 meals a day rather than the normal three. Try not to consume more than 400 calories at any meal.

4. Make sure you are getting some fats, and make sure you are getting omega IIIs and omega 6s. Fish oil and flax oil are great ways to do this.

Keep up the good work. I am sure you will see results soon.

Ray
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Committing to working out is a lifestyle choice that not only helps you to loose weight but feel good.

She should also look at her quality of food and possibly make a lifestyle change there as well.

I recently started eating foods unprocessed and without additives. This includes fresh fruits ( a good source of carbs) veggies, meats, nuts, and grains made from sprouts like Ezekiel bead.

They like to call this the paleo diet but I would rather not. I have tweaked certain things to suit me.
By cutting out processed foods I not only lost weight but it made me full of energy and improved the ability to build muscle when I lift weights.

For working out I suggest classes. I go to shapes for women and their weights and cardio classes kick but. I also advise jogging out side. It is way more effective. Just jog at a slow pace and build ur distance up as you go.

I am 5'7 I went from 140 down to 127
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Trying to Lose weight yet again!
i have the same problem ive been loseing the same 75 lbs for 10 years now but i dont want to be on here forever so to make it short. This last time i tryed sugar busters and i lost 75 lbs just power walking eating just the right carbs flex oil omega 3 everything worked just fine but then i had a rough time with my marriage and my old friend( fatty foods) came back and i gained 67 lbs ...Recently things have gotten better and i found myself really uncomfortable ive had fatty liver in the past and fearing for my health and feeling my kids needed me to be healthy and for myself i decided to get busy ..So here i am again on May 17th 2009 i started to excercise again and i love it..My thing is power walking and just eating the right foods all day long i never over eat and i feel if it worked before it will again .. thats just it its not working here it is june 15 and ive only lost 10lbs .Im getting so obssessed with that freakin scale i want to throw it out the window. I don't know how to eat the right foods i think but either way i need help!
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Experienced User
You need to adjust your diet. Perhaps your overtraining with the cardio. The body adapts... Interval training in the morning is the best for losing weight. Wait an hour before you eat. Try to space modest meals every three hours.
|

replied January 13th, 2010
It is very important to do regular exercises as it will cleanse your body and at the same time burns the calorie.

Whenever you feel like this then try to go for some regulkar exercises that will be helpful in reducing your weight.

This has to be implemented regularly and seriously as a practice and if you are doing yoga on regular basis then it is always good.
|

replied January 24th, 2010
Ray,
I have been having the same problem as "asloa". I am a 26 male, I weigh 200 lbs. I recently switched from a hard labor job in which I was about 192 to an office job sitting down for 8-9 hours. I started working out exactly 2 months ago five days a week. I didn't start eating healthy until 3.5 weeks ago. I eat 6-7 meals a day as follows.
1st kashi high fiber 1 bowl 2% milk
2nd kashi high fiber 1 bowl 2% milk
3rd a south beach peanut butter protein bar
4th oven roasted chicken sub on wheat light cheese oil and vinegar 6"
5th mixed berry fruit smoothy
6th 2nd half of the oven roasted chicken 6"
7th two chicken breasts oven baked with garlic seasoning.
I also drink about 5-6 8 oz glasses of fusion fruit juice the light kind and regular.
I have added everything up that I eat and it is right around 1600 calories. Yesterday I bought some whey protein to make into shakes for in the morning and after my workout. The dietician said that I am basically on a starvation diet and my body won't let anything go. I have a consultation with her on thursday of this week,

I workout 5-6 days a week for 2hrs a night.
I do 40 minutes on the "amt" elliptical type machine from precor high resistance intervals from level 6 to level 14. every three minutes I alternate.
Recently to change things up I started jogging on the tread mill in addition to the "amt" for thirty minutes jogging 4 minutes at 6.5 mph and power walking for 3 minutes at 4.2. I only use the treadmill two days a week, so two days a week i'm doing an hour of fairly intense cardio.

5-6 times a week I will also lift weights for 40 minutes. 3 weeks ago I started to use supersets. last week I started to do giant sets. I do two sets of each giant set working chest and back two days bis tris and shoulders two days and legs two days. If I only workout 5 days one of the leg workouts will get cut. I also do 12-15 reps in order to burn fat rather than get bigger.

My goal is to get down to 180 and be toned. I am willing to do whatever it takes. I have read, so much on this subject. I don't know if I should get a trainer or what. If someone can help that would be great because I really can't afford a trainer or this dietician.
|

replied April 9th, 2010
Give me 5 stars!
Hello all, please say this post was useful as I am a small child and you could hurt my feelings.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied June 14th, 2011
Wow !!!
Did you really start with that routine ?
And kept it for a month nearly.
There is only one thing you are missing that is patience. Keep patience there is nothing abrupt or sudden. Changes will happen but it will take some time.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
Can anyone suggest some help with dieting while in a foreign country???

There is a gym I can have regular use of, but the foods here are insane: very little fresh fruit and vegetables are available, lots of rice, lots of noodles, lots of fried and saucy foods. Any vegetables/fruits I do get my hands on are either unsafe from sitting out in the sun for days to be sold by street vendors or are steamed or sauced into oblivion to the point where they have no nutritional value left in them.

Help! I am desperate. I have already had weight issues (25 pounds gained in 3 years) and don't want more while I am abroad. =[
|

replied December 12th, 2011
eat more calories
If you're doing all of this exercise and nothing is coming off you need to increase your calories to increase your metabolism! Your body needs to know that it is not starving to release stored body fat.
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Do continue the same way you practice. dont loose your self confidence level. Or else some of them feel lazy. If you continue doing the same thing you do definitely you can reduce the body weight.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
Weight loss
Eat healthy nutritious foods. Cut out sugar snacks. Add Greek yogurt fruits veggies. Eat good breakfast lunch and dinner. Make sure eat snack around mid afternoon. Work out with cardio amd weights. As you age you need to realize that your body changes! It takes a long time to take weight off stop looking at the scale your shape will change gradually first. Think less weight loss as compared to healthy lifestyle. Sometimes it takes years...no joke. Slow and steady wins the race.
|

replied January 9th, 2014
dont eat too much but dont starve yourself either. Also, go find yourslewf a good workout program out there. I'm 15 and im buff as __. I used Body By Boyle. All you gotta do is push yourslef cuz ive been where you are before. Its gonna workout.

|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2014
I had this problem too before. Especially after workout I eat because a lot I'm so hungry. hahaha Very Happy What I did was after gym, I eat 2 boiled eggs to relive hunger
|

12 >>
Tags: weight
Quick Reply