Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Stinging Pain In Lower Back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I wanted to get some opinions on what might be going on with my back now. I had my first surgery when I was 12, for scoliosis. 3 years ago I had L5-S1 fused because of spondolythesis. In August of 2006 I had a revision on that surgery. Now I'm having severe pain in my lower back (again) along with stinging pain that shoots down my leg, from my butt. I can't walk for long periods without the pain getting worse and my back tightens up just from sitting. I want to see a doctor, but I'm afraid that surgery might be in my future again.

Does anybody have any idea of what might be going on now? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by olliecat on June 14th, 2007 02:21 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Hi there, sounds like you have a pinched nerve or the sciatica(nerve that runs down thigh has something going on with it. Yes, you need to see your physican, if its a pinched nerve, bulging /herniated disc or you could have deteriation of the cushions in between,you still need to have this looked at. Another surgery is not what you need to be thinking about, cause it may be your only solution to getting to the root of the problem. Hope you get this taken care of and its only a minor set back for you. Get to feeling better soon! Laughing
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am guessing that you had L5-S1 fusion, is that correct? How old are you now? What is your body weight and height? What is your daily/weekly activity level? How many years ago was your surgery? You could be having a simple case of sciatica which can be caused by many things, such as daily activities, body habitus, or having your pelvis "off kilter". It could also be caused by an L5 radiculopathy caused by an impingment of the nerve. If you are not wanting another surgery (which I can completely understand), you might consider going to see an osteopathic physician who does manipulation.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Yes, sorry about that, I fixed it. L5-S1.

I'm 28 now, 130 pounds, 5' 6" tall. I walk every day, twice a day (with my dog). I used to be much more active (a bike rider) but haven't been able to do that since my second surgery. My first surgery was 16 years ago, my second was in December of 2004, and my last one was 10 months ago. I know my hips are misaligned because I still have mild scoliosis. They realign my legs in physical therapy, but it's always temporary. Although I don't want surgery, I'd consider whatever would help me get back to my regular activity again.
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You are very young, and because of that I would reccommend to you that a non-surgical rout may be your best bet. When your therapist adjusts your legs, does the pain go away for a little while? If so, you might ask about a trial of a small heel lift in your shoe. This can help keep your hips from becoming misaligned ( it is called a sacral torsion). This may hold you in place better without having to re adjust ll of the time. You also might ask about an SI belt. This can also help hold your pelvis inthe right place after your adjustment. I am certain that you are involved in a lot of stretching and proper exercise with your PT right now, and that is good. You are well within your ideal body wiegth for your height, and that is a good thing. Core strengthening can help protect your back from future "blow outs". You may end up needing an MRI to assess the amount of impingemnt, if any, going on back there. Regardless, I would get an opinion from a couple of ortho and neuro surgeons before procedding with additional surgery.

Best of luck to you.
|

replied September 16th, 2013
I have burning stinging lower back pain that runs down the back of my left leg please help me
|

replied September 16th, 2013
I have burning stinging lower back pain that runs down the back of my left leg please help me
|