my waters broke early last time i was pregnant and i was wondering if it increases chances of waters leaking, rupturing or breaking early this time. cuz sometimes its like i've wet myself and i havent needed to go and it doesn't smell the same, i am 32 weeks pregnant and becoming very stressed about my waters leaking early, could someone please tell me if it increases chance?
The chance that you will experience water leaking, rupturing, or breaking early depends upon the factor that caused premature breaking of the water during the previous pregnancy. If the same factor is still present, there are chances for another premature breaking of the waters. Causes for apremature water break could be various and complex:
1. Weak contact between leading part of the fetus and walls of the birth canal. This can happen in cases of a horizontal or obliquely positioned fetus in the uterus, a larger fetus, narrowed pelvis, a larger quantity of amniotic liquid etc;
2. Chronic infection in the cervical canal (endocervicitis);
3. Injury during pregnancy;
4. Sexual intercourses during late pregnancy;
5. Previous abortions, cervical dilatations and other previous cervical damages;
6. Bad genital hygiene;
7. Congenital weakness of the cervix in healthy women
You can consult your OB-GYN for a review of your medical history and further advice.
"Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals.
For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our
medical experts page.
You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.
The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician.
Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.