Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Water + bowel movements : should I drink more H2O ?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
er.. after my period i just do some bowel.. the color of that is dark dark brwown but it looks like black but my stomach doesnt feel any pain and i still got appetite to eat.. but this few days my bowel is quite small too not so long izzit i neverdrink lots of water?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Digestive & Bowel Disorders Answer A2923
Water is extremely important for the digestive system. If the body isn't supplied with enough water, it gets the needed amount from internal sources. The colon, for example, is one of the primary sources for water. Water is absorbed by the indigestible fiber of the colon, which increases the bulk of the stool. The lack of the bulk in the colon reduces the urge to eliminate. Too little water in the colon will lead to dry, compact stool and infrequent bowel movements.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.