Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Topamax For Bi-polar And Depression? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Well, my doctor deciced to put me on topamax (starting me off very slowly at 25mg/twice daily) as well as 40mg paxil for depression/panic attacks. Sad

i'm always petrified when I start a new med...I've been on paxil for 6 years and i've never really had any side effects or problems with it. I've read up onm topamax and it seems to be used mostly for seizures and migraines...Most comon side effects are "hand & feet tingles" and a change in taste when drinking soda and it can make you really slow (that worries me I drive around with my 10 month old all the time Shocked ) well, it's been 3 days and nothing yet...How long does it take for side effects to kick in?

Anyone have any experience with topamax...I need it for major mood swings and depression!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 75andsunny
|

replied May 17th, 2004
Topamax
Been on topamax for over a year now for seizures. Doesn't really help with bipolar. I can really say that now since I had to drop my lithium since I became pregnant. The only side effect I really had was weight loss, and that was good. Other seizure meds had the opposite.
|

replied May 17th, 2004
I took topamax for awhile and I finally went off because it did not do anything for the bipolar and it made my hands shake way to much. I do hair so it affected me a lot. I do know they say it helps a lot of people it is one of the newer drugs they are putting people on. I also take paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks. I know what it is like to take a new pill and wait anxiously to see if it is gping to give you any side effects. When I started taking the paxil I was so anxious for a week thinking it was going to make me sick. Try not to worry even though I know that is hard. I am interested in hearing more about how your paxil worked. Obiously it is helping some if you have been on it so long. Let me know,
krazykmb
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Experienced User
Topomax
I get severe migrains, have fibromyalgia and am bi-polar and my doc just started me on topomax about 6 weeks ago. He said that it should help with all of these things but we started off even slower than you because I am very sensitive to medication. I started with 25mg once a day and now am taking 100 mg at bedtime. I have noticed, or I should say those around me. That the day after I go up 25mg I move in slo-mo. This, of coarse, would mean I am not being too manic, however they say it really hasn't slowed my mouth down much. Still talking a mile a minute, but my doctor says that a regular, minemum dose is 250 mg.

So, i'm hoping for the both of us that topomax does work for some with bi-polar. It would be especially nice to 1 medicine instead of 3.

Good luck,

mia
|

replied August 27th, 2005
Hey!
Yeah i'm on that to lose som pounds I have asked around they have use that for so many things like what i'm on it for and bipolar and well just other this so its like an all around pill.
|

replied August 28th, 2005
Topomax And Bipolar
I've learned that lamictal is also very good for bipolar. My goal is to use to treat both the bipolar and epilepsy. I have so many memory problems, I don't know whether its the topomax or not.

Baby had slight neuro defect with mouth. Side effect of meds maybe.
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Topamax Experience
Hi,

i take topamax 200mg along with five other psychiatric meds. I find it's successful for the hypomania, but not for the depression. Doctors always seem more interested and concerned about the top end than the bottom. I guess we get into more trouble at the top. At the bottom we just suffer silently and I guess they don't think that's as worthy of attention. Me, bitter? No...

Take care,

jane.
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Newbie Here
I've been on Topamax for over two years for Bi-polar Manic Depression, I was diagnosed when I was 18 after the birth of my first child. Through the years I've been on every drug under the sun! Upper downers all arounders plus self medications from the streets cause I could do it on my on better, which I can say I was not proud of, and alcohol use to be a drug of choice. Now I've went from 208lb's to 140lbs I don't drink do drugs, can finally enjoy my life, my mind has slowed to a decent pace, its not all good but at least I can rationlize, find someone you can trust, thats where its at, don't be alone when your down, or manic.
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2007
Topamax, it's a wonder! LOL! I was put on topamax for bipolar disorder, At first I liked it I knew it stupors u but it didn't make me drowsy like depakote, rispredol, seroquel, lamictal and abilify. I was able to wake up and go on bout my day. I was slender when I was put on about 104 or so and I got down to 97 in a short time. I liked the weight loss but I stopped taking it, I do enjoy to drink and definitely not a good combo! I had my bad experiences with it and for now I am ok without it. I don't take none of my meds I prefer to work on myself without medication I don't need dependents like that. But Topamax will definitely be noticed in ur decision process and everyday activities, atleast for me. My doctor told me if ur smart u shouldn't have a problem and when u stop taking it ur IQ goes back to what it was, and I am pretty smart and it effected me I got in trouble off that stuff I don't really recommend it.
|

replied May 7th, 2008
Topamax
I have been taking taking Topamax for about 5 months now. I take 200mg a day. The only major side effect that I have is memory loss. I have very poor short term memory. (anyone else) Aside for that I think its a wonderful drug. Its heped with my BP and I've lost 20lbs. I am BP, Severe Anxiety Disorder, I suffer from panic attacks and possoble BPD (thats up in the air) Right now I'm on Topmax 200mg per day Wellbutrin 200 mg per day and alprazolam 2mg 4x a day.

Its a good med. Give it a try. I have 2 kids and I function fine.

~Pam
|

replied August 22nd, 2008
Topamax-Dopamax
Topamax. I can see why they call it Dopamax. I have been taking 50mg for about a week to help with mood disorder NOS. I haven’t noticed any real change with that. I guess it takes about 2 weeks to really get into your system. My doctor wanted to put me on this to help with the side effects of my other med, Seroquel, which made me want to eat everything in sight. The Dopamx does suppress my appetite which I am so so happy about. I had gained 10lbs from the Seroquel. I haven’t weighed myself yet but I think I cut my diet in half.

I did notice I sometimes just can’t find the words I am looking for. JUST like everyone says. It’s something you have to experience to explain. It is difficult for work because I work with people and have to talk to people all day. I can’t decide which is/was worse- the weight gain with my miracle drug Seroquel or being dopey on Topamax? I call Seroquel my miracle drug because it essentially cured my depression and anxiety and really helped with mood swings.

Maybe I’ll check back in a week or so and see where I am at. See if I lost the Seroquel 10?

I found myself all of a sudden needing to slam water. Like I had been out in the desert all day. Anyone else?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2008
I was prescribed Topamax for seizures, and like others in the 200mg and higher group my tastes changed along with my desire for food. In the first two months I lost 50 pounds! So far after two years..75 pounds, from 250 to 175( I'm a 6'1" male). I now force myself to eat, even though I am not hungry. I have not noticed any cognitive changes; but, a couple of strokes and some seizures have had an effect there.

Other changes have been a better sense of smell, a 95% reduction in how much I perspire, slight upset in my sense of balance with a tendency to drift to the left, and some days when I can not keep my eyes open and wake up only to go to the bathroom for perhaps a day and a half.

Bill tiphat
|

replied September 8th, 2008
topamax
I am on topamax. 100 mg & for me it works great for my bi-polar. It's the first medicine I have found in 11 years that works for me.
|

replied September 10th, 2008
I've been on it for a little over a year. I noticed that I had "word finding" problems right away. The correct word would just be missing from time to time. I mentioned it to my psych, and he said it was just stress. After a few more months, I found out that it was a real side-effect, and I pushed for a resolution. We ended up cutting the dosage in half, and so far, so good. I still have problems with the occasional word, but I think my intellect is okay.

-T-
|

replied September 11th, 2008
pebbles07 wrote:
Topamax, it's a wonder! LOL! I was put on topamax for bipolar disorder, At first I liked it I knew it stupors u but it didn't make me drowsy like depakote, rispredol, seroquel, lamictal and abilify. I was able to wake up and go on bout my day. I was slender when I was put on about 104 or so and I got down to 97 in a short time. I liked the weight loss but I stopped taking it, I do enjoy to drink and definitely not a good combo! I had my bad experiences with it and for now I am ok without it. I don't take none of my meds I prefer to work on myself without medication I don't need dependents like that. But Topamax will definitely be noticed in ur decision process and everyday activities, atleast for me. My doctor told me if ur smart u shouldn't have a problem and when u stop taking it ur IQ goes back to what it was, and I am pretty smart and it effected me I got in trouble off that stuff I don't really recommend it.

A few years ago, my sister added topamax and dalmane to her paxil and risperdal for depression and anxiety.
She said the paxil and risperdal were working okay, but said she was still depressed and anxious, plus, she said she started getting tics, so her doctor increased the frequency of her paxil, increased the dose of her risperdal (bedtime) and added topamax and dalmane.

She said she never had any side effects from the paxil or the risperdal, but she was worried that the topamax and dalmane would cause side effects.

Then, she read a book by a Dr. William Glasser.
After that she told us that she didn’t think any of the meds were working and that she wanted to stop taking them.

|

replied September 27th, 2008
The joys of Topamax
Side effects are different for everyone, but I think that if you're going to get them with Topamax, you're going to get them right away.

I was on Topamax all of 2007, off 10 months, and just recently went back on it (long story, not applicable). I have Bipolar 2, BPD, and PTSD.

Main side effects for me are carbonated drinks taste AWFUL! I try to have fun with it though by having my friends buy me various sodas and have me rate them on the "ass-o-meter" (1 to 10 scale, 10 being the worst) of how terrible they are. Might as well have some fun with it.

The "word-find" problem is also a biggie for me too, and again, I just put it out in the open that a medication I'm on does this to me. We all have a good laugh about it when I can't remember that the big round thing covered with cheese and pepperoni we're having delivered for lunch is called "pizza".... It's only irritating when you really want to think of a witty word in an argument but can't. Oh well.

I also get the tingly hands and feet, and also lips from time to time. No big deal though, considering the alternative. I've been on various assortments of medications over the years, and Topamax has worked the best for me in spite of the side effects. However, I suffer from Fibromyalgia, so I'm willing to put up with a heck of a lot of irritating side effects in order to not suffer the pain. Everything is a trade-off.

Something a lot of folks won't tell is that people on Topamax should seriously avoid sun exposure or suffer rash. The other big side effect is a long string of upper respiratory infections. I got Strep, Mono, four sinus infections, a burst ear drum, fluid in my lungs, and was basically constantly sick. I later found out I am allergic to pretty much everything, so I don't know how much of what caused what, but all that info was after the fact.

Just keep informed, and keep each other informed. Don't trust the word of one doc or the drug reps. Trust the words and the histories of the people taking the meds!!!

Good luck everybody!
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2009
100mg a day and I'm a fool on it Sad I can't focus on my job properly. I forget what I'm talking about in the middle of sentences and can't find the words I'm looking for and forget people's names and what I've told them etc. I forget what I've done in work. I feel like a fool.
Weight loss isn't working so to keep me focused and not as depressed and slightly manic and not eat the entire supermarket out of chocolate, I'm on the sly taking Reductil (bold me) but what else can I do? I'm terrified that I'm going to be fired but my psych told me that this is the only drug that doesn't also put on weight Sad
|

replied March 19th, 2009
I do Topamax, had for 10 years or so and I don't feel any of the symptoms anymore. But I do remember the tingling (no big deal), my hair fell off (huge deal), weigh loss (amazing), and change in taste (no big deal). It took a couple of months for it to make a difference in me. BUT it doesn't do anything for bipolar, just made me feel great because of the weight loss, and I am quite sure it doesn't do it anymore but I keep on it because I am afraid to gain too much weight.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Topamax Takes Over
psychogirl wrote:
100mg a day and I'm a fool on it Sad I can't focus on my job properly. I forget what I'm talking about in the middle of sentences and can't find the words I'm looking for and forget people's names and what I've told them etc. I forget what I've done in work. I feel like a fool.
Weight loss isn't working so to keep me focused and not as depressed and slightly manic and not eat the entire supermarket out of chocolate, I'm on the sly taking Reductil (bold me) but what else can I do? I'm terrified that I'm going to be fired but my psych told me that this is the only drug that doesn't also put on weight Sad

Psychogirl sunny baby you're NOT a fool. We've all been there and experienced the same thing. I don't have any magic answer to make everything change, but you are definitely not alone in the way you feel. I was in a very important conference and came up with a fit of the mouth stupids .... suddenly couldn't remember anyone's name, couldn't find the right words .... you know how it works! I wanted to crawl under the conference table and cry and fade away. Everyone assumed it was serious stress and never said anything. Unless your manager brings your behavior to your attention, I doubt that you will be fired. Heck, he/she probably hasn't even noticed. I hope you don't have to read financial reports! That surely put me to head hitting the desk sleep!!

It's now like a game of charades when I can't come up with the right word for something, and my memory loss is a given. I hate taking taking all the pills I'm on day after day, but it keeps me from hiding under a blanket in the closet. You'll be ok!

Aloha rainbow
|

replied January 1st, 2012
Topamax
I am not on topamax (my 7 years old is). I came here to look up the side effects for her, because she has serious epilepsy, and I found you all complaining about memory loss, forgetting things, so one... Ok, friends, let me tell you something, I am not in any meds, nor depressed but I forget everything, even my kids birthday when someone asks me on a sudden. So I think you all right. No one here is a full, not even close to be one. You are brave people and your comments help a lot of people. Thank you!!
Nayda
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2009
Hello
I'm thinking of switching from Lamictal to Topamax. I see my shrink on Monday and am going to ask him. I've put on about 40 lbs between Abilify and then switching to Lammictal. I am newly diagnosed soft bipolar with PTSD and a WHOLE LOT of ruminating and anxiety.

That's the only medication I take so it should be fairly easy to see if it helps switching to Topamax. I hate the weight gain but I have no bad taste with Lamictal. Does anyone know if you're supposed to have bad taste with Lamictal?

I don't really have any bad side effects from Lamictal and didn't have any from Abilify so I don't expect any from Topamaz. I'm a newspaper columnist and have no memory problem on either of the above two drugs (only on Lamictal now) and hope to receive the same benefits from Topamax but with weight loss as a benefit.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
|
Quick Reply