Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Severe Abdominal Pain After Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I had an abodominal hysterectomy 052207. I have had the usual BM pains/gas. I am taking stool softeners which work but I still have abdominal pains off & on all day long; whether I eat or not. I am drinking fluids and walking around alot to help. What could be causing these extreme pains? They are so bad I bend over in pain and verbal yell out. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jaybel26
|

replied July 17th, 2007
Back Pain 9 Months After Hesterectomy
Wink
I have been experiencing very bad back pain.since I had my uterus removed, i kinna have this burning sensation on the right side of my kidney, but it now it is my back and paining everyday.i need advice.
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Bladder Or Kidney Infection
to JadefJ -
this sounds like a bladder or kidney infection. Since the pain has reached your back then its probably a kidney infection. I would go to a doctor and have your urine tested. Only antibiotics can take away the pain and the infection. Trust me I have had my share of tract and bladder infections. If it burns or hurts when you pee then there is over the counter meds to help until you go to the Doc. Its called Uristat, it turns your pee orange but it helps so much.

to All4Jesus-
The pain sounds horrible. I would give the doc a call. It could be after affects of your surgery or you may hav esomething else going on. You can never be too safe.

Good luck to the both of you, I wish you a speedy recovery....
|

replied September 19th, 2010
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy two weeks ago, and now i have a infection the doctor say he has to open me back up. Are there any other options.
|

replied January 15th, 2012
none
Try peroxide and bactrim n an antibiotic that's what I did
|

replied January 15th, 2012
Try peroxide and bactrim n an antibiotic that's what I did
|

replied October 20th, 2010
hi miburne i had a vaginal hysterectomy because of a prolapse am in pain 3mths on and going to toilet constantly for a wee had water tested and says no infection have probs openin bowels have to take stool softner i also have pelvic and back pain on tabs for post op infections but have a course to take for a week so far not helping it seems early days for you hope your infection gets cleared quickly ask about tabs for post op infections
|

replied February 4th, 2011
i had abdominal hysterectomy 11 weeks ago and my stomach is so sore just to touch is this normal also when i have intercourse it burns
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi donna12 and welcome to ehealth: Your stomach will be sore for a while...It takes time for all the stitches inside and outside to heal...Use plenty of lubrication when you have intercourse...Take it easy...Work it in slowly....It will get better...Take care....

Caroline
|

replied March 9th, 2011
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and oopherectomy 8 days ago, I am still very sore and swollen and get tired easily, I'm not a big person and my stomach looks huge I really hope this goes down, I've not had any burning sensations as many of you have mentioned, and am peeing fine, trapped wind has been a huge problem and very painful and I have thrush which I think may have been caused by the catheter as I've not suffered from this for years. I dont feel to weepy just very bored and frustrated that I cant do anything, I wont consider HRT until I am back at work as a think to feel weepy and low after any surgery is normal and may not indicate menopause symptoms as such and I really dont want to take it unless absolutely necessary. I'm not using any pain relief now and just take meds to keep stools soft. I had the stitches out yesterday which is a bit more comfortable, but I seem to have the most discomfort at the site where my drain was, this was a horrible experience when they removed that and the area feels very swollen and tender. But I know, like all of us on here, I just have to be patient. I spend my days doing equal measures of pottering about and resting. Good luck to you all xx
|

replied April 12th, 2011
SEVERE ABD PAIN
I HAD AN HYSTERECTOMY 7/2010 AND IM STILL HAVING SEVERE ABD PAIN NOT TO MENTION SEVERE CONSTIPATION AND DIARRHEA IS THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2011
Partial Hysterectomy
I also had a partial hysterecomy at age 35 on 7/29/10 and still have horrible cramps and severe low back pain for about 2 weeks out of the month. I thought all that would go away. I would more than welcome any suggestions. -Thank You!
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
Vaginal Hysterectomy with Severe Bowel Pain
I had a total vaginal hysterectomy(ovaries intact)on 17 August 2011. I am 39 years old.
The first 3 days I was quite sore as I expected to be, but nothing prepared me for the pain of a BM on the fourth day aside from childbirth.(I have given birth to 5 children naturally with no pain control).
IT was extremely painful and best described as labor pains. The pain would start as soon as I woke up in the morning and last for half a day. I would go to the toilet up to four or five times, each trip painful enough to make me cry.
I scoured the internet and found this wonderful site which reassured me it is part of the recovery and won't last.(At the time,very hard to believe).
I drank lots of water and ate lots of fibre.I found taking stool softners aggavated the symptons. I walked a little every day. Gradually increasing my distance. It wasn't easy.
Today is the first day in nearly three weeks I am pain free. It does get better slowly. Just hang in there and give your body a chance to resettle and heal. All the best.
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Good advice about water- apprently you should try and take in 2 litres to keep bowels operational combined with walking and high fibre diet.
For the last 3 days have had terrible abdominal cramps like first stage labour pains. Then realised my water consumotion ahd dropped combined with heavy use of ibroprufen- not a good combination after hysterectomy.
Emptying my bowls twice daily - will lose weight with all this, hopefully!
Your posting was helful.

Best Wishes to everyone
|

replied September 10th, 2011
Hysterctomy Abdominal Pain
I just had an abdominal hysterectomy on Aug. 30, 2011. While at the hospital, I was pain free. My abdominal pain began on the 4th day home. Excruciating pain to have bowel movement. I have mentioned it to the doctor and he stated it was normal and it would probably take about 3 months for it to clear out. I am happy to know Jaybel is pain free after 3 weeks. I pray for the rest of us to be pain free in the very near future.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Dear Chatta, we had our hystos on the same day. Guess we are sisters. Mine was done da vinci robotic. Now at 2 month post surgery severe pain left lower quadrant. Stabbing like an ice pick feeling and now pain in groin radiating down and around thigh area. See surgeon tomorrow for consult. Will try to find out what we are all going through. Last time (3 weeks ago) said it was just "the healing process". Not so sure. Later, D.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Chatta, curious how you are doing in your recovery. I've still got quite a bit of left lower quadrant pain which the surgeon just says is "normal" and "quit focusing on it". Right like he would just ignore this type of pain. Mine is doing better 2 1/2 month out but now having burning in left groin area with throbbing in left thigh. I think it might be the nerves starting to wake up, but surgeon noncommittal!!!!! Hope you are o.k.
|

replied September 13th, 2011
Pain after endometriosis, adenomyosis, adhesions, hysterectomy
Hi, my story is a long one even though it's only been in a matter of months. And I feel for all of you having pain. I am in need of advice.

Starting last year I began having severe pain in my lower right abdomen reaching into my groin. Causing severe pain with the smallest movements. They took my gall bladder out, my appendix out and did a liver biopsy. Still I was in pain and it was worsening. My obgyn at the time did an exploratory surgery in Nov (2010) and said in her report that i was clear of endometriosis and that I did not have it at all. I was sent to pain management and she suggested therapy.

Unhappy with that answer my parents and I sought out answers. And came upon the Center for Endometriosis Care and Dr. Sinervo. April of this year (2011) he immediately hospitalized me and did emergency surgery. I had stage 2 endometriosis. He removed all of it and being a world renowned doctor I trusted him. He made me feel like a person again, not someone whos crazy and seeking medication.

In May, still being in pain I returned to Dr. Sinervo and had a biopsy of my Uterus done. No indication of Adenomyosis even though my uterus was extremely painful to touch etc. This was done surgically since that is the only accurate way to do the biopsy. Nothing was conclusive.

Given two options either to try to get pregnant or have a hysterectomy three weeks later no longer to stand the pain anymore I made the appointment to have the hysterectomy. At 23 this tore me apart. But none the less I did. This surgery was full of problems however. Not complications from the surgery but my insides. The glue they use instead of stitches had adhered to everything and caused an allergic reaction. This had to be scrapped off, and my bladder had to be resized because it was swollen from the glue. My ovaries were full of cysts. And though I was scheduled to keep my left ovary and lose my right during the hysterectomy Dr. Sinervo decided to leave both ovaries because my left one was encased in a 5cm cyst. He removed the cyst cutting my ovary in half and stapled it back together.

In August the problem of having left my ovaries in was taken care of. Dr. Sinervo preformed his final surgery and removed my ovaries.

I've had problems with pelvic adhesions with every surgery and had them removed with each surgery as well. Dr. Sinervo was very thorough. No Endo was left, the Adenomyosis was removed with my uterus of course, my ovaries are gone now along with the chance of them causing cysts. Adhesions are always a problem after surgery for anything. But my problem is that I'm still in a lot of pain, it hurts to move and im still very tender from where I had my original pain, and it also hurts into my back. I've gained weight of course from inactivity and the fact that the endometriosis and adenomyosis is a glandular disease, but my body feels sick as if ive had the flu, i constantly crave sleep because my body is so tired, I hardly sleep because of the pain. I honestly don't know if it's just pain built up from having so many surgeries so close together and my bodies healing poorly or if there could be something more wrong.

What should I do? I know I need to lose the gained weight so that is not unknown but is there anything that will help the pain besides pain meds? I'm so sick of them, morphine, hydrocoedine, advil, cymbalta. That's all I'm taking on top of ambien for sleeping.

Any advice?

Thank you
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Dear Rockangel, In your boat too. Going back to surgeon to see what is causing this pain. I've had enough also. I actually had two surgeons (1 gym surgeon and 1 oncologist surgeon). Had endometrial cancer, but path report shows they got it all. Now if they can just get the pain to stop. Everyone in this forum will be in my prayers every night. We will get through this somehow. Keep the faith. I know its hard. Love to all.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Dear Rockangel2060, bless your heart you have really had a go of it. All I have figured out is the doctors don't always knows what they are talking about. I got blown off by my surgeon this week when I told him I was having burning in my groin area and throbbing in my left thigh. Just told me to "quit focusing" on it. Told him he would do the same thing if he hurt this bad. I am getting better slowly and I have come to realize we all heal at different rates. We are just the slow ones with some complications. Hang in there and will says prayers for all my sisters in this. Together we will make it!
|

replied September 30th, 2011
Hysterectomy hell
So I'm in the same boat as a lot of you... Menhorragia caused by adenomyosis and endometriosis. During my total abdominal hysterectomy, (september 8, 2011, ovaries intact), the dr had to literally scrape my uterus off my bowels and bladder. Since then, I have had so many problems, I'm not sure I should have had the op. Done now, just hafta deal with the fallout... So the problems started the second day post surgery... I was told that I could go home, or I could stay in one extra night. They didn't tell me that I would not have the pain pump, or ANY other form of pain medication if I stayed. It was hell. They wouldn't even give me tylenol, even though I had a prescription for oxycodone waiting for me for when I left the hospital. I was out the next morning after spending the night, laying in the hospital bed crying my eyes out, ON MY STOMACH with my hands cradled under my belly all night.... Nobody would even help me up to go to the bathroom. From there, I came home, took 2 oxy and went to bed. I ended up, 5 days later with so many side effects they are too numerous to write. I was then put on tramadol? Which I was on for 4 days this time, before the pain got so bad, I went to the er. It felt like I had fire running up my spine and every time I rolled over in bed, I got an unbearable pain in my groin, left and right sides. When I got to the er, and got put in one of the back wards, I was referred to as the patient in withdrawal, by the nurses and drs. I waited in the back of the er for 7 hours, after being told by the er dr that I was to wait there until my gyn came to see me and we'd go from there. After he came to see me, he told me that I had an infection, and needed antibiotics, (this is after me going to the er three times telling them that it hurt to pee, and that my discharge smelled bad). I had an ultrasound done and was told by the technician that I either had a huge cyst on my ovary or a gigantic hematoma and she needed the u/s dr to come check it out... By this time, I was panicking. They sent me back to the er to be discharged. Then, when I told the er nurses that the u/s tech found something, they told me to wait for the gyn AGAIN! So, it had been nearly 10 hours by then and I was not given anything except for 2 tylenols, more than 6 hours before. And I wasn't allowed to eat anything this entire time, just in case I needed surgery. I was at the end of my rope... By the time they actually discharged me, after they finally got ahold of my gyn, I had been at the hospital for 11.75 hours. I came home with a prescription for a really nasty anti-biotic that has given me stomach pain, diarreah and a feeling like my heart is going to pound through my chest... Oi. So now , I'm still having pain in my groin, I've stol got the feeling of fire, running up my spine, but now i'm having to deal with the side effects of the antibiotics as well... Gah. I don't know how to deal with it any more. I'm 22 days now, post-op, and feeling as bad as that first night in the hospital, with an appointment every week until my gyn thinks I'm doing okay. i feel like I have no other option, but to deal with the pain and go back and forth between tylenol and motrin every 4 hours, plus dealing with the disaster that is the antibiotic coursing through my veins... Any ideas on what I can do? I'm resting all the time, but I'm starting to get cabin fever!
Ps, I'm in canada, it wouldn't let me sign up without a zip code.
|

replied November 12th, 2011
Dear Hysterectomy Hell, I am so sorry to hear about your absolutely terrible outcome of surgery. Nobody should have to put up with that type of treatment of pain. I don't have any advice other than don't give up, you will get better eventually, and as I always ask my husband = when? He just says "soon." its good your gyn is seeing you weekly. I've been at the point where you can't deal with it anymore, but you can. you must. Will include you in prayers. Try to keep a positive attitude. I know that is such a put down, like we enjoy feeling like sh**. How can we be positive when we hurt so much. hang in there and know you are not alone. God is always with you.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
pain after a hysterctomy
hello, i had a hysterctomy 8 weeks ago and i'm having pain in my bellybotton and i got like 3 blater infections,my doctor said it's normal??? pain is not normal.. whatdo i do?
|

replied October 11th, 2011
pain after a hysterctomy
hello, i had a hysterctomy 8 weeks ago and i'm having pain in my bellybotton and i got like 3 blater infections,my doctor said it's normal??? pain is not normal.. whatdo i do?
|

replied October 12th, 2011
extreme pain on both sides of incision
Hi every one. i am 2 weeks post hysterectomy and am 30 yrs old. i have a huge pain on the sides of my incision. they took the cervix and uterus both ovaries are still in tact, i also scream out in pain when i get up or sit down to fast or move the wrong way or even roll over in bed and with that pain i can feel like a marble sized ball on both sides that moves out with the pain it's extrememly scary does anyone have any ideas? thank you so much
|

replied November 14th, 2011
still in pain
i had my surgery in Feb 2011 and i am still in pain. i feel like no one cares and cant figure out why.... if i get any answers i will let you know...BTW i am only 39
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Total hysterectomy 8 days
Had a total robotic hysterectomy to get rid of left side pelvic pain. The found adhesions that glued my insides together and my ureter attached to my right ovary. Had the surgery 9 days ago. Very sad and still have same left side pain. Went to dr yesterday for help, I was in tears. I said I felt abandoned by him as he refused to give me anything more or different for pain. He actually said that's what surgeons do, call your primary. Mow on top of the intense suffering I am going through withdrawal and thank god for my primary he gave me lorazepam to help with withdrawal. Aleve is burning a hole in my stomach and I feel like all I want to do is sleep. This has been a nightmare I can't wake up from. I have list twenty pounds in two months but they keep telling me that everything is clean no other disease. I dont think doctors know a thing. Scary we let them cut us open. I am so scared now and am in constant agony. Any suggestions or hope?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2011
proudmama4

Hello everyone. I am really sorry to hear all of your pain.I had a partial hysterectomy only removed uterus 13 days ago. Soon after recovery I had severe anxiety and heart palpitations in the hospital, I was given lorazepam and ambien for sleep that night but nothing worked I was so miserable. No sleep at all:( The next day I was released to go home and I wasn't in much pain just tired. I did not take anything for pain. Dr. said I was anxious from the anethesia. It has been 13 days and I still have anxiety day and night and cannot sleep well at all. THe other day I was reaching for a book and felt something stretch and has been somewhat uncomfortable. Also I have had so much dizziness, lightheadedness and since yesterday I have diarrhea and nausea. I see my dr tomorrow for my 2 week followup but have so much anxiety I am afraid to drive and I am alone..Has anyone else had these symptoms? I am worried it will never go away..
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
I had my abdominal hysto a month after my dzughter 9/20/2011 following that I hac a surgery the next day for internal bleeding,they repaired my bladder , a nicked ovry and artery. Two weeks after that had my incisions reopened and a drain put in for two abscesses with staph infection. My abdomen is so sore ithurts to wear underwear, I cry whrn I pee and it kills me to stand. There are days the pain is so bad I wish I would die bc even aftef all my c sections this is by far the wlrst pain. My hubby doesnt get it , no onr understandx. I keep getting asked by everyone when am I going to go back to work, I cant even pee without wanting to die. My dr says its normal but this is the same dr who almost killed me. This website atleast tells me im not the only one suffering.
|
12 >>