Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

What is borderline personality disorder ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
hi my name is Lisa. I am 16 years old and was just recently diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. What exactly is it? 2 years ago i was switched to an EI (emotionally impared) and a RR (resource room) class. do you think this disorder is what has been affecting my school and learning because i have a real hard time paying attention in class and i am contantly getting yelled at for not focussing and doing my homework on time.
thanks alot

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorAnswer
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Anxiety & Stress Answer A2918
Borderline personality disorder is mental health condition that is characterized by unstable emotions, impulsiveness, relationship problems, an an unstable self-image. Manifestations of this disorder also include aggressive behavior, difficulty controlling emotions and impulses, a low sense of self-worth, and frantic anxiety of being abandoned. Other characteristics of this disorder are long-term feeling of emptiness, frequent and sometimes violent temper tantrums. People experiencing borderline personality disorder often suffer from other conditions such as depression or eating disorders. The problems you've mentioned seem to be as a result of the disorder.The cause of borderline personalty disorder is yet unknown, but it seems to run in families. The treatment includes medical counseling as well as medications such as mood stabilizers and antidepressants.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.