Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

acne problem !

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I am 19 weeks & my back/arms/chest are so full of acne that I'm unable to go anywhere without a sweater or long sleeves. Today it's 92 degrees, so you can imagine how difficult this is. It's also causing scarring, which will likely be permanent. I've tried using cover-up makeup, but the marks are so red & swollen, it doesn't help. Welcome to pregnancy!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
it sucks huh!!
lots of showers, only wearing powder foundation and tons and tons of water are the only things that helped for me.
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2007
Experienced User
you need to be careful about products containing salycitic acid (most OTC acne meds do) what I do is just make sure your face is clean and moisturized. I know sounds strange with as oily as your skin is right now. I have suffered severe acne for years. Try purpose soap and olay moisturizer. I hope it helps
|

replied June 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I'm an .esthitician and think I should say something.

The poster who said to stay away from .s.a, was right. It gets into your blood stream, and can cross through the placenta.

As far as moiturizing, you *should* use a water based moisturizer as opposed to an oil based. It should be on the label whether it's one or the other.

Drink lots of water as well.

Make sure you have a regimine for your skin. Use a cleanser in the morning, and a light exfolliation in the afternoon.

I would recommend the olay daily facial pads while pregnant.

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I had a serious problem with oily skin during my pregnancy and I used .Neutrogena. I'm not sure how much good it did because I still broke out, but it left my face feeling clean.
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2007
Experienced User
I know exactly how your feeling about the acne Prncss... i never had acne before i got pregnant.. but i figured out what works!!... take a cotton ball with some rubbing alcohol and rub it over the whole area... then all you have to do it moisturize... if you do it every morning within like 3-4 days it should have calmed down allot... hope i helped
|

replied June 7th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
This is just a thought, but it could be that you have sensitive skin. I used to get breakouts and my skin would get an oily sheen 5 minutes after I'd washed it. I went to get a "wellness facial" with a good esthetician. She took one look at my skin and said I have dry sensitive skin. She said she could tell because I had small pores even though I had some acne. For years I had been using really harsh acne soaps and scrubbing my skin trying to get it clean and soft. She said the acne was coming from using harsh chemicals on my skin. My skin was trying to protect itself from the acne washes by secreting more oils and that was making me break out. Anyway, the only thing I ever use on my skin now is Cetaphil and I don't break out anymore. My skin isn't perfect but it's never been better, I just don't get pimples like I used to. Don't know if that will help but it worked for me.
|

replied June 7th, 2007
I had it really bad the first 3 months of pregnancy. Not a lot of pimples, but they were like systic acne. I would get one or two huge pimples that would be on my face for weeks!! I felt the same way as you girl!! I am so sorry!!! I switched back to clean & clear and it's worked great ever since. Or maybe it's just that all those crazy pregnancy hormones decreased the further along I got! Right not I'm about 30 weeks and my face looks good. So just give it time girly! Good luck and your boyfriend probably thinks you're more beautiful than ever right now! You're carrying his baby! Smile Also, if you ever get sad look at your sonogram pictures! Remember when you get sad, so does your baby!
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Experienced User
i understand..totally..im going thru the exact same thing...except i have had problems with my skin since i was a freshman in highschool..im now out of school still being visited by the monster!!! its a very hard thing to deal with especially when your hormones are going wild and all you want to do is look pretty!! my skin gives me problems..its never clear..once it gets close a few more come up...ive tried pro-activ before i found out i was pregnant it didnt work...=( i still have skin problems but im going to ask my doctor next time i see him..if i dont forget.....what his reccomendations are....thats all i can think of..
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2007
Supporter
Gah! I'm gettign really bad skin again, i had it for a bit during the first trimester and now i'm getting it again. What bugs me is that i bath everyday, take my make up off every night, moisturise and use facial wipes and i still get them
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Dannzibelle wrote:
Gah! I'm gettign really bad skin again, i had it for a bit during the first trimester and now i'm getting it again. What bugs me is that i bath everyday, take my make up off every night, moisturise and use facial wipes and i still get them

I am the same exact way! It's just the crazy hormones I'm thinking.
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Dannzibelle wrote:

your almost done!! the end is in sight lol.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Its Better Now
Im not preggers anymore and I have my skin back! You will too!
|

replied June 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
When I was preg the 1st time, my skin went from horrid, to perfect!!

I would actually *look* for things to extract!!! And be totally disappointed!

Also, my skin went from super oily, to sensitive.

Now that i'm preg again, I'm *still* waiting for the perfect skin! lol...mreh, sucks!

Sarah
|

replied June 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Acne Problem !
sharkeychick wrote:
I am 19 weeks & my back/arms/chest are so full of acne that I'm unable to go anywhere without a sweater or long sleeves. Today it's 92 degrees, so you can imagine how difficult this is. It's also causing scarring, which will likely be permanent. I've tried using cover-up makeup, but the marks are so red & swollen, it doesn't help. Welcome to pregnancy!

I totally read over this part!

I know it's hard, but do not pick or pop your pimples!

If you want to extract them properly, go to wal-greens and purchase a box of "lancets". You can ask the pharmacist where they can be found.

You *must* lance each on separately, and sanitize the area after each extraction. Once you've lanced one, throw that lancet away!!

What you're doing is spreading the bacteria from pimple to pimple, and actually causing them to get *worse*!

Lancing your breakouts will reduce scarring by 90%.

Also, you need a regimine for your decolatte(chest area), shoulders, and back, just as you need one for your face.

I would also recommend pro-active. It's all natural and is safe for all skin types!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My acne was horrible until around week 25-26. Now my face is clearing up better than it has been since I was 12. It's sorta nice.
|