Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Horrible Shin Cramps And Weakness In Feet (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I am almost 48 years old. I live in the up of michigan where we have extremely cold winters that keep me inside my home most of the year. We moved up here just 4 years ago and it was 2 years ago that I started having this problem. I can only imagine it may have something to do with the lack of excersize.
Anyway, I am having major problems with being able to so much as walk up our street without suffering from the most excrutiating cramps on the front of my shins and ankles later that day. The cramps are so bad that I had actually developed a panic disorder from it. Now, I was recently diagnosed (after and grand mal seisure) with a cavernous angioma of the right temporal lobe, but I don't think it has anything to do with these god awful cramps. The thing is that it seems that if my legs are out of shape from sitting around inside too much, i'm in a bad postion because now i'm afraid to walk anywhere. I'm also afraid to stoop down to pick something up.
I walked uptown day before yesterday to help my husband with a fundraising event he has going on, and I am still in agony from the walk. I have noticed that I haven't been able to lift my toes up when I walk and I feel incredibly unstable or out of balance. I have tried over the counter leg cramp medicie with quinine. I have tried xanax, partially because it calms me down when I feel a cramp starting, and I have tried motrin for pain, drinking tons of water, and I use my foot bath to massage and warm them, but nothing seems to make them better. I'm a mess and feel that I can't even support my husbands cause when I am not able to walk.
Can someone please help me. This whole thing is scaring me a bit and I already have the brain thing to worry about. This is just too much.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rootvetwife
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
shin cramp
These are not shin splints but real painful cramp. It's about the only thing that makes me cry. Better than quinine I've found "Crampex" tablets, based on nicotine, very effective - if I take 1 or 2 tablets I can guarantee the muscles will ease and the pain gone in 10-12 minutes. But I'd really like to know what causes it and how to avoid it altogether!
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2008
Supporter
Hi,sorry to know

It seem that you suffer from nevers damage possibly due to lower back problem.

Please go to see orthopaedic doctor asap.

Take care!
|

replied December 31st, 2008
SHIN AND FOOT CRAMPS
I accidentally discovered something. I had these cramps for years. I realized that when I ate a lot of things that contained "Liquid Smoke" .... such as barbeque, hot dogs, processed meats using liquid smoke ... I had these same terrible cramps. I have been cramp free for almost a year now since I discovered this.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
I suffer from the same thing infact I am up now for this reason and if you get them then for weeks at night they come back if you move your leg in bed. Last night i ended up with them across my shin across my ankle and all four toes from pinky to the the toe next to the big toe they are absolutely excruciating I too cry real tears with these things. I can understand the anxiety. I have gotten them while driving, be careful I have to keep my seat back as far as it can goe and still reach the pedals I have had them happen in my left leg also but very raely. this is a real problem . I have had multi back surgerys but have had knee replacement also, I can't tell where they are coming from
|

replied January 13th, 2010
Check out all the antibiotics you have been given over the past 15 years such as cipro, levequin, avelon. poision
|

replied March 12th, 2010
It's been several years since I originally wrote this and the cramping still has not gone away. Last night i had the worst cramp yet after a whole day of no cramping at all. I bought a dry foot massager that is supposed to be great for people with neuropathy and circulation problems. It felt harsh on my feet, as well as on my newly damaged knees, but I continued using it hoping for a miracle that would end my daily suffering, but after last night I realize it was a huge waste of money. 
I felt great all day yesterday, thinking my new gizmo was doing the trick until the minute I laid down to sleep. Then i shot out of bed with the most horribly excruciating cramps up the tops of both feet and the fronts of my shins. I couldnt even walk. It was such a rude awakening after an entire day of feeling great. 
I'm going to be 51 in 3 months, but I feel like a 90 year old and a complete burden on my family. It totally consumes my thoughts from the minute i get up until the minute i go to sleep( IF I go to sleep) each and every day. I seriously can't take this anymore. We even moved to Texas to get away from the cold so I could get outside and be more active, but this has gone on for so many years now my legs feel like they are dying from the hips down. 
Many people including my husband say it's my back, but if it was, wouldn't my back hurt all the time??? Why would most of the problems be in my legs??? I can take non stop back aches, but these startling cramps are too much. Just when I think I'm going to make it through a day and night without one, Whammo! 
All I do is cry and panic all the time with bottles of assorted pills next to me. I'm so afraid of ODing from mixing too much of the wrong things, but when i have constant pain of an oncoming cramp somewhere, I can't even function. 
And if this is in fact back related, why would I go through surgery and end up like so many other people I have heard about that get surgery and STILL have cramps?? What's the point? 
Sorry if I sound all "doom and gloom", but lack of sleep and incredibly sore legs most mornings makes me this way. I just want to feel normal again. I understand that a 50 year old can't expect to feel 100% all the time, but it kills me when I see people my age and older out jogging and walking and enjoying life. I have so much that I want to do in my life still, for my family and for myself, but I just can't anymore. 
You would think with all the fantastic things they have come up with in the medical field that someone would have come up with a cure for this by now. =\
|

replied February 12th, 2012
I too have EXTREME shin cramps from back surgeries
You are NOT alone! I know all too much what you are going through. I have had 6 back surgeries & have had these cramps in the front of my shins, front of ankles & top of feet. I was told mine is due from all the back surgeries & the nerve damage it did. I can not feel much on the outsides of my legs or feet therefore I walk a little funny. I can NEVER wear any kind of flip flops or heels. One is b/c I can't keep them on my feet b/c I have no feeling in my toes to grip with and I cant wear the heels b/c I turn my feet over in them due to not being able to feel on the outside of my feet & legs. When these cramps start they are so bad that it make me have a panic attack, cry & break out in a cold sweat b.c the pain is unbearable.My ortho Dr could not find a way to fix it I have muscle relaxers & otc leg cramp meds but none of these make it go away. I feel like my dr;s think Im crazy but I have yet to find ANYONE to help me with this. Even my pain mgmt Dr just shrugged his shoulders & doesnt know how to handle it. I so VERY VERY much wished that someone, anyone would figure out a cure for this.
|

replied February 14th, 2012
I am 63, soon to be 64. I have had these same kind of cramps for years. I had been on quinine until they took it off the market. Now there is nothing. I have had them attack in the night in my groin, not able to straighten out. I have screamed and moaned for many minutes. Have not been burdeoned by those in groin for about 1 yr. Now they seem to center in my shin and burning cramping around my ankle. It happens in both legs, seem like I just get loose of one and then it starts again in the other one. I've been using ice packs. I have had two back surgeries. I never knew that the nerves had been damaged. It seems like when I go to a Dr., they act so surprised, peering at me over their glasses. They make me feel as though they think I am telling a story. If they only knew and why don't they know? My new Dr. said that there was something new out similar to quinine, but would not write me a prescription. Guess he has not been hindered with the same pains. I pray many nights and ask for relief. Believe me prayer is the only way for everything. Am praying now for better caring physicians that know how to believe their patients! Thank you for sharing! Smile
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Shin and Ankle Cramps
I am 63, soon to be 64. I have had these same kind of cramps for years. I had been on quinine until they took it off the market. Now there is nothing. I have had them attack in the night in my groin, not able to straighten out. I have screamed and moaned for many minutes. Have not been burdeoned by those in groin for about 1 yr. Now they seem to center in my shin and burning cramping around my ankle. It happens in both legs, seem like I just get loose of one and then it starts again in the other one. I've been using ice packs. I have had two back surgeries. I never knew that the nerves had been damaged. It seems like when I go to a Dr., they act so surprised, peering at me over their glasses. They make me feel as though they think I am telling a story. If they only knew and why don't they know? My new Dr. said that there was something new out similar to quinine, but would not write me a prescription. Guess he has not been hindered with the same pains. I pray many nights and ask for relief. Believe me prayer is the only way for everything. Am praying now for better caring physicians that know how to believe their patients! Thank you for sharing! Smile
|

replied March 13th, 2012
pain relief
I am very sorry to read how bade your life has become with this ailment,I live in London England and I too have just started to Experienced this type cramp and sharp pain in my feet or toes.You might find the partial and most times the full elevation of pain is something that has always in the past been a very affective treatment before it was demonised by our politicians, marijuana,now I don't mean smoking large qualities through large pipe,in the medical books they advise putting the herb into a small bag and making a hot tea of it and drinking it when you need relief
|

replied September 2nd, 2012
Shin cramps
I have the same problem. When ur foot starts to contract in a certain direction quickly push foot or ankle in the opposite direction then massage the muscle very deep until it relaxes. This is from nerve.damage and can be triggered by strain as well as dehydration, hope this helps:)
|

replied October 14th, 2012
Unfortunately I also suffer from this, started in the shins and ankles and over the years has now progressed to calves inner thighs and now quads. Problem is...when l try and do the above to counter the cramp......then those muscles cramp until they are all seizing....my toes and feet point weird directions and l scream and cry until they are done. Usually it's just the left leg but sometimes it's the right also. When they are both sides full leg cramping...sometimes l prey to pass out to get away from the pain. I don't know how much more l can take. Spinal problem? Metabolic problem? MS? I also have left eye twitching and fatigue and slight urine incontinence.
|

replied March 11th, 2012
Chin cramps
I have the same problem with the front chin cramps and feet. It's excruciating. It's like there's a rope in the front of my chin that decides to get so tight my foot flexes back and in the process cramps too...I know it's awful. I have literally drenched my clothes with sweat because of the agony. I'm 52 and I don't think it has anything to do with age. I have tried so many different kinds of shoes because if I try to go on lengthy walks my feet and chins cramp so bad. For excercise I do Pilates. But, one time this happened, the horrible chin cramps, in both legs at the same time and I was at a Luau! A fireman friend brought me a warm little glass of salt water...like a tsp to 4 oz. I swished it around my mouth and swallowed what I could...tastes nasty, but I will say the cramps go away within a couple minutes EVERY TIME. I don't know the cause of the cramps, but I do know the salt water works always. Try it.
|
Users who thank Julesbabe for this post: crampless 

replied July 25th, 2012
Thanks julesbabe' I'm 74 and have had cramps , shin , toes , that wake me up during the night, that are unbareable. I had them for 4 nights in a row and could find no relief from my quinne tablets, I tried your salt water solution and have not had any cramps at all, knock on wood,. I did one thing wrong , I put 2 teaspoons of sea salt in 4oz of warm water and so far so good... Thanks again for sharing.. crampless
|

replied July 25th, 2012
Boy I wish just one of these remedies would help me. I'm 60 and have been going through this for over 40 years. My cramps can involve almost any part of my body. When they happen in my feet, it takes a long time before I can even get my foot on the ground, as my foot will point like a toe dancer. I spend hours, crying, screaming and praying, out loud, until they finally ease off. Usually when I have them in my feet, I will have them in my legs too. Both in the calf muscles and the back of the thigh. I've been having a lot in my rib cage, lately, which scares me because it takes my breath. They will sometimes affect my jaw and neck. These cramps are so severe that they deform my body. I can have them last hours.

My husband and I just moved to another state, and I will have my first appointment with a neurologist, here, in a few days. My last neurologist said he thought I had Generalized Dystonia. I've been told, in the past, by other neurologists that they thought I had a form of MS, as my Mother had it. All these doctors want to do is write prescriptions! I take enough muscle relaxers to kill a horse. My body is so used to all these drugs that I'm on doses that far exceede the highest dose listed.

If I get some suggestions, from this new doctor, I will re-post.
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi rootvetwife
i too have struggled with cramps over the years. i do have back problems and get pain not in the back but in the legs.
you wont believe it but i am now cramp free. how did i do it? aqua therapy. all it is is physical therapy in the water. the water is about 90degrees. its a full length pool and 4 ft deep everywhere. first the therapist has me walk 2 lengths forward, then backward, then sideways in each direction. then the therapist has me step on a box in the water and do various leg exercises. you will need a prescription from your dr for this therapy. my cramps are from my back. your husband is right about legs being affected but not the back. the nerves that control the legs run through the spine and when they are pinched the legs get affected. some people get relief by making sure they drink plenty of water. a multi vitamin is also good.
youll love this therapy.....pete
|

replied March 13th, 2010
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply. The aqua therapy sounds great, but expensive. I have noticed that certain foot baths seem to calm the cramps more than anything, but the problem is that they are only for feet, not legs too. Not just that but they're always so tiny inside that I can't move my feet at all when I use them. I am 6'1 with a size 10 1/2 shoe size, so I need something much bigger than the normal foot bath to be able to move my feet at all. Amd they never last very long either. I've gone through so many brands of foot baths over the years and most only last maybe a month before they stop working. More than likely because I use them several times a day. Another problem with them is that they don't heat the water and I find that by the time my feet start feeling better, the water starts to cool off and then I have to get up and refill the stupid thing. It's just such a pain in the backside to have to do a bunch of times a day. =\
I truly wish we owed our home and that I could afford a therapy pool like you have, but it just isn't something that will ever happen for me. I need to depend on something that you don't have to be rich or well off to afford.
|

replied March 14th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi again.
do you have health insurance. i do and the aquatherapy costs zip.
if you dont have insurance why not find a 4 foot deep pool and join up . i could give you some exercises.....pete
|

replied March 25th, 2010
I am also suffering from these horrendous craps. However, with me, it always happens in the late evening. Each time, I have been laying on the sofa when it starts. Before I can move to try to prevent it, it comes on like gangbusters. All I can do is watch it happen. However, this is not just a cramp. My toes and foot actually contort. It begins with my big toe which lifts upward as far as it can go and the others toes follow. My foot then twists inward and the ligaments in my shin show razor sharp through the skin in my shin all the way down into my ankle. I immediately sit up and try to make my foot turn back and my toes go back down. However, I can't - so I step on my right foot (where the cramps usually happen) with my left foot and sit there crying and waiting for the cramp to ease. I am 55 yrs old and have never had these before and don't know of anyone who has. It's kind of a blessing to know I'm not the only one who has them. I was beginning to become very worried and doctors just kept saying "oh, it's just a cramp". I've tried heat, foot rubs, quinine, and walking in water in the pool. Nothing has helped. If ANYONE knows of anything I haven't tried, PLEASE post it.
|

replied June 1st, 2011
Horrible cramps
JDM934,
I too experience this exact same thing and it seems that I end up having to urinate while the cramps are in affect and if I sit in the toilet the pain is unbearable sometimes using the bathrm eases it sometimes it's worse.
I had to put hot/warm towels were the cramps are and it brings it down and all the while I have to stay standing or it's excruciating. I too, thought I was alone. The doctors say the same thing either it's just cramps or maybe my potassium is low, but no one has given me a real or definite answer. At least now I know I am not crazy or abnormal. Thanks for sharing
|

replied September 14th, 2011
leg and foot twisting and spasming up
I jsut started getting the EXACT thing. I wake up with them in the morning and if I pay down and take a nap, I wake up with them. It does not seem to effect my chin as much as it does the outer side of my left leg. My left foot starts swisting sideways and my big tow comes way up and the other toes fo down and a little sideways. This has started happening to me out of the clear blue. When it happens is is very painful and I can not do anything about it. It also seems that the muscle is so spasmed up that it feels as hard as rock. Once I stand up and put my left show on and walk around for a few minutes this it starts to relax. But this is just crazy. I would like to know when you systems start and what seems to being them on.
|

replied October 7th, 2011
Me too!
This is exactly what happened to me last night! I am only 26 years old, and i go to the gym every morning before work. I am in the best shape of my life, but last night i had this same exact symptoms. I could feel it happening slowly, like a burning sensastion. My foot and toes contorted, shin tendons were sticking out, and i was crying like a baby. It felt like someone was drilling a hole through my shins. I have Charley Horses in my calf sometimes, but this is nothing like that. I think it could be dehydration or something.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
foot and shin cramps
I get the same thing....my toes all curl and feels like someone is trying to cut their way out from inside my feet and legs. I find that taking an over the counter potassium pill helps them pass faster. It doesn't always prevent them (especially if i walk too much), but it makes them subside faster. Hope that helps!
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2012
Severe pain off the chart both feet cramping and back of calves
I have this kind of foot cramps also; the toes that contort the entire foot contorts inwards, I am 51, it seems to coorale with a lot of activity and cheap shoes for me I am in physical therapy for a servical disk that is bulging/herniation, and starting tog et active. I don't know; I scream; alarming my dog; just scream like no other, and I to get panic attacks, it is everything I can do not to all an ambulance and them show and then if may be subsided? How embarrassing would that be?!!! So, last night I had about an hour to 2 sleep and gave up, every time I slept it would wake me, I can equate it with childbirth in some ways. Pople don't understand. I am afraid I will have heart attack due to how high my blood pressurre must get. I didn't see ANYONE on here mention bananas; they are high in potassium, and do help some, If I don't eat them daily for about to weeks that is what it takes for me. They come and go in spurts. Mostly do to over activity is the onlything I can guess, unless my spinal cord being pinched in the neck is doing it. I did have P.T.Therapy yesterday. So that could have sent them in motion. Luckily my friend and neighbor came to the door (I called he at 1:00 a.m.; but she is fine, I feel bad for calling at such an hour but the potassium pills (supplements)weren't doing the job. i don't really - i don't know what I was gong to say... you (just dozed off while typing this)...
|

replied July 18th, 2012
I feel like I have found a web-site full of people who actually understand this cramping, foot cortorting, horrid, horrid pain.
This has just started with me, I have a bunion on my left foot and my doc has prescribed a full arch support sneaker that I have to wear from when I get up to when I go to bed. It seems that when I take the sneaker off about an hour or two later (usually in bed) I move just the right (or wrong) way and WHAM - feet start to cramp,and contort pains shoot up my ankles and I cannot stand, sit, walk. I can only cry.
I have had children and it did not hurt like this!!!
I have been using asprin (325 mg) to help - not sure if it works or not, but the pain does go away and I am able to go back to sleep within 20-30 minutes.
I am going back to the foot doctor next week to see what he has to say about all of this.
But at least I know I am not alone in this agony.
|

replied December 2nd, 2013
I suffered for many years and no doctor offered any solution. They just fobbed me off.

After much research I learned that it is due to mineral deficiency so I tried daily magnesium/potassium supplements which definitely help. The bouts are now far & few between.

I always carry homeopathic tissue salts for the odd emergency and they work within minutes.

This article is worth a read: http://pain-medicine.med.nyu.edu/patient-c are/conditions-we-treat/muscle-pain-and-sp asm
|

replied March 25th, 2010
I went to a neurologist day before yesterday and he was very thorough smd concerned about what I was going through with the cramps. He did all sorts of tests on my legs and feet, bending them, tapping them, making me walk to see how my gate was, asked me tons of questions about how long it's been happening, how often it happens, where exactly and what I have tried to help it. After the appointment was done he had given me a prescription for Skelaxin which is a skeletal relaxer(I had never heard of those) and some pain pills and folic acid to hold me off until my MRA appointment today of my back and brain and an appointment tomorrow for some type of test where they test your nerves with electricity? Can't remember what it's called at the moment.
So anyway, the Skelaxin did work on the cramps for a few hours but its by no means a miracle drug, besides I'd rather they just fix whatever is wrong so I don't have to take anything at all. I want to enjoy life, not be a zombie.
I'll let ya'll know more after my appointment today and the one tomorrow.
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2010
Experienced User
I would have an MRI of your back performed. I have a ruptured disc that leaks onto the nerve. At first, it effected my back and hips but sometimes, it does not effect my back but leaves me with foot cramps, pain around the chin area like a burning tender pain. I am taking Neurotin for Nerve pain and Soma for the muscle spasams and it has helped alot. Ever since taking the both of them, I have not experienced the cramps but still get leg pain but not near as bad. You can also try heat and ice for those areas and purchase a tens unit. I had a horrible cramp on the front and bottom of my foot once and place the tens unit pads on both sides and it cleared up within 5 minutes. If you have insurance you might can try the Lidocain patches as well and getting a good inflammation pill. Good luck to you and I hope this helps..
|

replied March 26th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi....the nerve test, EMG, finds out if any nerves IN MUSCLES are being affected. the mri will show pictures of the bones and tissues. i hope doc gets some answers. once he diagnoses you he will have some ideas on treatment...pete
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2010
I see a pattern here.

I used to suffer from the contorting foot cramps and often the leg cramps in my teens and 20s, and I assumed it was vitamin deficiency (doc at the time told me that was always the case). However, in the past few months, I've been experiencing those horrific, terrifyingly painful SHIN cramps some of you have. I too think it has to do with nerve damage in the back. I've had multiple surgeries this year, due to cancer treatment complications, and they all involved access through my lower back. I've also been sedentary for the past year and a half due to illness.

This must be a back-related problem, and it likely has something to do with nerve and/or vein damage. If anyone knows of any research being done in this area, please advise, as I would like to know more.

For now, I find that a low 2.5 mg of xanax is enough muscle relaxer for me (if taken when the tightness in the toes starts) to prevent a full fledged attack, but I would prefer not to become hooked on them. I'm going to try to exercise and get back into shape, but I may need to see an orthopedist? Neurologist?

If enough people get the word out that this is not corrected with potassium (which is a very dangerous supplement to play around with), perhaps someone will think a research grant makes sense and something as seemingly simple as leg cramps will no longer be the D.B. Cooper of the medical world.

Also, people who have not experienced leg cramps will not understand the severity of the pain. Many doctors dismiss them as trivial. A nurse at my doc's office recently told me she had done that very thing until experiencing one herself. She called the experience of her first leg cramp as "life altering."
|

replied September 4th, 2012
shin cramps
I have suffered from the horrific shin cramps and top of feet and toes, also my hands would cramp up and I couldn't get the fingers to move. The only things that have helped me was drinking more water and taking magnesium supplements. I quit taking them for awhile and have started getting cramps again. Not as bad yet but went and got some magnesium today so I can catch it early. Oh my gosh, it is the worst pain and I also would cry and yell a lot. So sorry for those with this problem. And, by the way, I was told when I had a chest x-ray that I had bone spurs on my spine. Maybe that has something to do with the cramps? But the magnesium helps me.
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2010
Experienced User
leelacal,

In response to your post, if you had surgery around your back area, some of the nerves could have been affected. It is reversable as long as nothing is still compressing the nerve. Hopefully you will feel better eventually. Anytime you get cut, you risk nerve irritation and scar tissue. Do what you can to get the scar tissue broken up. I dont know if this works or not but they have ultrasound machines that is sopposed to help with this. maybe a few trips for that and a massage with help break it up as well as working those muscles out if you are able. Neurotin is good for Nerve pain as well as a muscle relaxer if you can take them. It should get better over time. Good luck!
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Shin Cramps!
Wow! These are the same types of cramps that I have experienced for a number of years. About seven years ago I experienced them every night and often during the day, and I would spend ridiculous amounts of time getting out of bed and stretching and running up and down the stairs trying to get them to stop. I had to change the kinds of shoes that I wore, so if I could feel them beginning in my feet I could stretch out my feet and toes very quickly before they spread. I agree that it can be obsessive, because they are so painful.

I too have some back problems, although the majority of mine are centered around my sacroiliac joints. I also have other joint issues, neck & rib problems, and was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis almost four years ago. (This is type of rheumatoid disease.)

Interestingly enough, however, before I was finally diagnosed, I tried MANY solutions to my joint problems and muscle spasm issues... including being tested for food allergies and going on a very strict diet. While I have a more normal diet now, the one thing that I discovered was that my muscle spasms/cramps are SIGNIFICANTLY better when I do not eat dairy products. In fact, my ridiculous shin cramps completely went away while I was on this diet. About three years ago, I was pregnant and having a terrible time craving dairy. My cramps skyrocketed, and the doctors just shrugged... you know, it''s just part of being pregnant. But a colleague of mine, who is also a chemist, told me that some people have trouble with phosphates, and an increase in calcium phosphate can trigger these cramps because the body cannot rid itself of them fast enough. She was so irritated by everyone saying that leg cramps during pregnancy are normal (we were pregnant at the same time). They aren''t normal, she said, if you can choose your dairy consumption more carefully. Certain dairy products are much higher in calcium phosphate than others... well, I thought, what the heck!? I found that milk, ice cream and certain cheeses affect me much worse than others.

I have kept a food diary on and off for years (since the allergy testing), writing down what I consume each day, and what physical symptoms I have... and I have figured out the things that I need to avoid. It hasn''t cured my rheumatoid disease, but it certainly mitigates many of my issues. And I can always tell when I eat something wrong at a party or restaurant or something. A little won''t usually bother me much, but I think it builds up... and after a week on vacation eating freely, I will be jumping out of bed again in the middle of night, cursing myself!

When you''re obsessed, sometimes it''s a relief to write things down. After a few weeks of keeping a food/symptoms log, have someone else (an objective party that you aren''t living with) review your log to see if THEY can see the patterns. There were some things that were obvious once someone else pointed them out to me, but that I missed, because I was just so close to it all.

I am hoping to hear further about the rest of your neurological test results. Looks like your posts dropped off in March... hope things are getting better.

Good luck!
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Shin/top of feet cramping
@JDM934, you described exactly what has been happening to me for the past year. I have now become afraid when they happen because I do not know if eventually the cramping will move upward. I am on Tamoxifen; and from searching on the Internet, I've found posts by other women on Tamo who experience these unusual cramps. I do not get calf cramps at the time of the shin and/or feet cramps, which the feet at times involve the top, bottom or both at the same time. I drink tonic water as a social beverage and did so before the cramping, so I have doubt about its effectiveness on me. My breast doctor recommended, though, drinking tonic water. My next experiment is to eat a banana in the evening. I'm afraid to ride my motorbike for fear that a cramp will happen in my foot/shin and I won't be able to step off my bike. It has happened while driving my manual car. I offer no remedy, I realize; but at least I found a place in this site where other people experience this same strange phenomenon.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
shin/top of foot
I purchased some Velcro shin/calf braces from a sporting good store, and have been wearing them to bed for over a year. They seemed to help ward them off (at least while I was in bed) for awhile, but in the last week I've had some really long work days, and suffered cramps even though I'm wearing the braces.
I cried in front of my wife, because I was afraid to go to sleep. It's 3:30 a.m. and I'm here, not in bed.
|

replied July 4th, 2010
ankle and feet spasms
This all sounds eerily like what I experience on a weekly basis. I am 55 yrs old, active, full-time employed female, moderately overweight, in very good physical condition with no history of diabetes, etc. I exercise, do many outside activities, have good muscular and deliniation of legs. I take daily multi vitamins and potassium, as well as bananas and other raw fruits. I also hydrate daily with water. I don't abuse caffeine. Living in the south means my feet seldom become chilled. I lost 80 lbs 10 years ago and have kept it off. However, due to a spine trauma years ago, I have degenerative disk disease (DDD) from the chest wall down including injury of ilia and sciatic nerve trauma due to torn muscles in the iliar region, right side.
In addition to the ankle/feet/toes spasms, I experience numb spots on my legs and trembling from time to time. My work is in an office/desk scenario but I am constantly up and down all day including stairs. I have arthritis in the knees, ankles, hands, feet,etc. In the evenings, while at rest, sitting in a recliner, I will develop horrible ankle and/or feet cramps that twist my toes and feet, twisting my ankles and toes into impossible positions, lasting from 3 minutes to 20 minutes. These cramps/spasms will have me sobbing and beating my fists against the wall, unable to stand or be mobile. I often wake myself up sobbing with these cramps, unable to move to alleviate them. I have a TENS unit which seldom helps. Due to the DDD and arthritis, I have a pain management program which gives me muscle relaxers (Flexeril 3X a day, 10mg) and narcotic pain relief (Oxycontin and Percocet)and 600 mg Neurontin daily. Even those do nothing when these spasms hit. I have blood work (labs)done every 6 months due to the narcotics.
I have a VERY experienced, knowledgable, compassionate physician that I see monthly(due to the narcotic prescription) and he can't find any special or unique cause for these.
I will ache for several days after one of these events.
I have yearly MRIs and xrays which only show the DDD and arthritis. I have have nerve testing EMG showing nothing out of the ordinary.
I wear "sensible" well-fitting shoes or pumps with a large solid heel for balance. I avoid heels for daily wear, reserving heels only for special occasions.
I have tried mustard, tonic water, foot baths, foot massagers, you name it, I've tried it.
I've had food and environmental allergy testing.
When you hurt so badly you are screaming for help, I understand and I hate it for all of you.
After experiencing these for years, if there is something else to try, I'm ready to test it.
|

replied March 24th, 2011
While searching for the cause of shin and foot cramps I came across this site. Wow. I had no idea these cramps could be so awful and so debilitating! My heart goes out to those who are experiencing this!! I don't have a known solution, but I'd like to offer two suggestions that might help. First, I didn't notice anyone who said they'd visited a chiropractor. If the back and pinched nerves are involved, a good chiropractor can be of huge value. I had some lateral scoliosis and central back inflammation for years that was fixed by a chiropractor. The remaining chronic inflammation (very minor) disappeared many years later as the result of improving my diet. Which brings me to my second suggestion: food. Just this past year I've come across a whole food that helps amazingly with a lot of health issues involving nerves, bones, muscles, brain, mood, and especially all kinds of inflammation. It's a special blend of chia. Chia is a terrific seed-food (it was the third main crop of the Aztecs before it was outlawed by the Conquistadors; it's more nutrient-dense than other seeds and has an unusual ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 essential fatty acids that are 3:1 in favor of omega-3 = anti-inflammatory). The chia I'm eating is a special blend that has been scientifically shown to be superior to other chia, and gets results that the other chia doesn't get. I don't want to sound like an ad, but I was a skeptic until I began eating it myself. I believe in this plain whole food so strongly I am willing to send you a free supply to try if, in return, you are willing to eat it twice daily for 2 weeks straight and report your experience back to me. If you are one of the people who has debilitating cramps and pain daily (or almost daily), then eating this blend twice a day for two weeks might make a significant difference. I'd like to know if it does or it doesn't, and I'm willing to send you a supply to try if you'll help me find out. I am a scientist at heart and I've seen this food do truly amazing things.
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Lydocaine patches cut into strips, place across ankle and 2 or 3 strips up shin and calf.
Wrap legs loosely with ace bandage. You'll sleep like a baby.
Prescription is necessary for the lydicane patches, doctors have no problem with prescribing because it is non narcotic. Only thing I've ever found that works for me.
|