Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Just Started Taking Pills/how Long Will I Bleed?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I just started taking my birth control pills on last Sunday, and I started my period on Wednesday, but I am still taking the active pills.

Is this normal? And will my period last about the same amount of time it usually does? Or will it be shorter? Or longer?

I'm worried it will last longer because it is a little bit lighter than normal, and I hate being on my period, I never have enough energy and I wait tables, so that isn't exactly the best thing.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Just Started Taking Pills/how Long Will I Bleed?
tihasij wrote:
I just started taking my birth control pills on last Sunday, and I started my period on Wednesday, but I am still taking the active pills.

Is this normal? And will my period last about the same amount of time it usually does? Or will it be shorter? Or longer?

I'm worried it will last longer because it is a little bit lighter than normal, and I don't like being on my period, I never have enough energy and I wait tables, so that isn't exactly the best thing.

Thanks!

This is common and nothing to worry about. Your period may be shorter, or it may fade into spotting for the rest of the month until the placebo pills, and you may then get another period which should be shorter and officially stop.

Taking pamprin can help with the side effects of your period, as well as taking iron tablets since many women become anemic, and that's sometimes the reason for their fatigue.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
i'm having a similar problem... i started on BC for the first time last monday and its now nearly 2 weeks later and my period still hasn't ended, its really getting me down, i don't know what to do! do you think it'll end soon or when i have my 7 day gap of not taking active pills? Sad please help!
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
emellie22 wrote:
i'm having a similar problem... i started on BC for the first time last monday and its now nearly 2 weeks later and my period still hasn't ended, its really getting me down, i don't know what to do! do you think it'll end soon or when i have my 7 day gap of not taking active pills? Sad please help!

Either situation could happen. It may stop soon, or you may have to wait for the placebo week.
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
It can take some time to get normal, i started on loestrin, and bled on active pills, its breakthrough bleeding, now im on my 4th or 5th month and i think now its starting to be normal with no breakthrough bleeding, you have to give the pill some time to work. My suggestion is to wear pantiliners the first few months on the pill since breakthrough bleeding is common in the first 3 mths of the pill.
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It can take time for your body to get used to the hormones. Give it a pack or two and if nothing changes go ahead and call your doctor. I couldn't stand to bleed that much.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
birth control
I just started taking the pill 2 or 3 weeks ago and I started my period 11 days ago (last Saturday) and it is still going and its pretty heavy too... when will it end?
|

replied March 7th, 2013
i start my birth control pills ans the first day i did not have my period the 2 day i start with my period and does not go away i am taking ortho tri cyclen. this my first month of my period after giving birth. i am in the blue pills already
|

replied May 24th, 2013
Bleeding longer than 7 days
Is it normal to bleed longer than 7 days? First day it started it was light then the 7th day it was a little heavier. I am still on my period and its day 9. I don't know what is going on. Please help

I am on orthrotri-cyclen lo birth control. I am on my second pack and I had missed alot of pills but I caught myself up by following the missed pill directions.
|

replied April 12th, 2014
I am the same boat as everyone here. I just started my birth control pill 2-3 weeks ago and my period came last saturday. It was light in the beginning until the 4th day or so it got heavier and its still going on. I have about 7 more active pill left until my placebo one. Should I be worry or would it stop anytime soon??
|