Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Symptoms of MS with clean MRI : no brain lesions

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
User Profile
I have been getting very strange symptoms, now over several months( basically since my son was born 12 weeks ago). I do not believe they are related to the birth.
the first one was itching- I don't have a rash/bites/dry skin, I see no reason for itching, then I started getting extremely achy. especially my hands and feet, my forearms and calves feel pulled, and tight. my wrist is very hard to turn, and none of my fingers work correctly. then I started to get random painful shotting sensations everywhere, but again definitely worse on my hand and feet. over the last week, I got a low grade fever, which has since gone away, but since then, the symptoms of escalated dramatically. my arms and legs feel wobbly and rubbery, my vision is blurry, my balance is off. my arms and legs also feel heavy and numb.all of this is made worse by heat... an MRI of my head was clear. all my bloodwork was clear. I was told MS is impossible becasue I'm too symptomatic to have a clean MRI. is that true?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile miavt
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Multiple Sclerosis Answer A2931
According to the symptoms (itching without rash, aches all over the body, painful shutting sensations everywhere, slight fiver, arms and legs felt wobbly and rubbery, blurred vision, vertigo, numbness of the arms and legs…), and given the clear blood work and negative MRI.... it doesn’t seem that you are experinecing multiple sclerosis. These symptoms can be present during MS, but in order to diagnose MS as the cause, brain lesions must be seen on a CT or MRI-scan. You can request an electro-myo-graphy (EMG) to test nerve conductivity. During MS and in many other central and peripheral nerve disorders, nerve conductivity is disturbed. If the EMG is ok too, then you might be experiencing anxiety.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Multiple Sclerosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.