Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

What Do Schizophrenic People Believe? (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Can a Schizophrenic person hide there mental illness and never be diagnosed their entire life, and live as a normal person and never be found out except for themselves?
Yes many among the world do it!
No it is not possible!
I do it all the time!
Your paranoid, call a shrink?
Only a Psychiatrist can pull that off!
Only a person who fakes Schizophrenia can pull that off?
Maybe in the year 4000 that will happen!
52%  52%  [ 22 ]
26%  26%  [ 11 ]
11%  11%  [ 5 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7%  7%  [ 3 ]
2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42
I am trying to research Schizophrenia to see what a Schizophrenic person actually witnesses in their Hallucinations. My neighbor accross the street from me, walks all over town talking and yelling, to thin air. It looks to me as if he thinks he is talking to a croud of 10 people, but he can be inside an empty room and go on forever. What does a Schizophrenic person actually see, witness and experience other then, 1 Hallucinations of voices that are not there, 2, Hallucinations of seeing things that are not there, 3 Hallucinations of smells that are not there, 4 Hallucinations of touch that are not there, 5 Hallucinations of tastes when there is no food in the mouth, other then the 5 sences being twisted into something false to create a Hallucination effect, what else does a Schizophrenic person actually live through in that false world that their illness creates? Why do they act it all out? What delusional beliefs do they hold other then "The TV is broadcasting special messages to me", "The radio is broadcasting my thoughts live to the world", "The world is coming after me to take me away, the world is ending!!"

Can a Schizophrenic person live a normal life without ever being diagnosed or realizing it? Can a Schizophrenic person realize that they are different then normal society and be Schizophrenic but keep it secret all their live, then die of old age and never ever be diagnosed or noticed as a Schizophrenic by anyone other then the Schizophrenic person themselves? Can a Schizophrenic person be Schizophrenic all their life but successfully hide it from society and die of old age as the rest of the world, and keep it so secret that they are never diagnosed with any mental illness? I have heard a few rumors that some but not all Schizophrenic people can pull that off. If that is true, why can't all Schizophrenics do that, and why can other Schizophrenics do that?

Also I once heard of someone who wanted FREE disablity money from the government so they decided to fake having hallucinations so that a psychiatrist can diagnose them as Schizophrenic so that they can get anti-psychotics to sell on the street and also at the same time get disability money from the government, is that actually possible for a person to fake out hearing voices, seeing hallucinations, and act it out real enough so that mental health officials classify that person as mentally ill? Can a mental health professional or a psychiatrist detect who is really Schizophrenic and who is faking it? Can they determine who is Schizophrenic and who just faking it for government disability money even if the person who fakes it takes the perscribed meds to pass blood tests? And finally do all Schizophrenic people get paranoid? The ones that do get paranoid, what other paranoid beliefs do they hold besides, "They are coming after me"? and "I must do it, they told me to" Do Schizophrenic people believe they are Jesus Christ like that famous guy with the kool-aid?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ONDERDONK
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Experienced User
i'm diagnosed schizotypal, when i try to act sane, and schizphrenic when i want to vent. i think i am schizophrenic when i'm dreaming, or somewhat when severely stressed or exhasted. otherwise i can hide it, and yes, go through life undiagnosed, on no meds. i'm 41. hold a semi-regular consulting job, working a few weeks a month and living on it, by myself, 'cause i am too "sick" to keep a relationship - i give up. it's the illness or the relationship, and i pick the illness. i'ma shaman. small difference between sz and smanism - the dreamer must control the dream, not the dream the dreamer.
I have posted tons of my delusions and hallucinations, dream recall and shamanic journeying, on other forums. whereever they give me attention.
|
Users who thank ONDERDONK for this post: caoyanzhi  danbud 

replied April 8th, 2011
critical philosophy
I didn't see a reply button any where else.
Schizophrenics love to talk about their schizophrenia. Why? they need the attention and their brain violently demands the attention.

If they are hiding it then they must enjoy their own company extremely. which is basically what ONDERDONK said.

Imagine what movies you've seen that get a reaction out of you regardless if you liked it or not. It's the reaction that the brain wants, it's the reaction the brain will convince the host to have with minimal reasoning. I personally demand a lot of reasoning out of my schizophrenia which leads me to feel that the sky is falling, things are big and small at the same time, and my own vision is too close to me.
|

replied August 31st, 2008
insomnia
what is the relation between insomnia and sch
|

hi
where are your emails
|

User Profile
Supporter
I don't see how a schitophrenic could never be diagnosed they're whole life. I had a psychotic episode yrs ago and when it was at it's peak the people around me really noticed. Yes all the hallucinations you are talking about are spot on but they are so intense and so negative that 1. It would be very hard to fake.
2. It would be very difficult to just deal with it without some sort of treatment.
The whole experience was abslutely terrifying for me. I even felt as though I had died at one point and I have read that a lot of people felt the same way when they experiened they're first psychotic episode.
It's so frightening that without treatment I wouldn'teven want to think what my have happened to me.
Then when my symptoms weren't at they're peak. Yes i could work and yes I believe you can hide that side of it because it's not as intense and you can distinguish reality from non reality. You can just push those negative thoughts away. There's a knowing.. You know it's not real BUT when you don't know that it's not real that is when it is really frightening.
|

replied September 4th, 2008
can't hide
sure one can hise schizophrenia - but no way could a person hide a phycotic episisode
because at the time you are so removed from realitity that you do not realize that the things you are saying are delusional and make no sense at all
|

replied September 5th, 2008
Experienced User
could not hide it this week - got arrested for believing im a sovereign nation while walking the streets of newark california. three days in santa rita penn. got bailed out though, the girlfriend loves me, got me out in time for my job this morning. psychosis does leak out from time to time. i like it that way, just the tip of the ice berg showing. i drink my hundred and ten dollar a pund oolong and hallucinate twenty four hours a day, but only when and where i want so as not to interfere with functioning in consensual reality. like inside the eye of the tapir at the zoo, or behind my closed eyes, the "movies"
|
Users who thank ONDERDONK for this post: iamafish 

replied September 13th, 2008
When i was first diagnosed i was told that there is a spectrum of people with mental illness, and that some people only have a few symptoms and are never diagnosed. I waas told that I could almost fall into that group. However, that is before my worst symptoms manifested.

If you have very serious and intense symptoms, it is very hard to hide.
|

replied September 24th, 2008
im the living proof, nobody will ever find out what crazy things happens in my brain
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Hiding
I hide it because I have to. I left the country I lived in so I could hide it. I dont talk about anything people dont think is normal, I have learned what to say and what not to say. If you stay quiet most of the time thats the best way...if I talk too much people think I am weird and look at me funny and then ignore me. The hardest part is when time jumps or dimensions cross and I see bad and scary things...I have saved many people from the bad things but they dont even realise it. I am not scared anymore and that makes things alot better I only try to help the people who cant see the bad things. They have no idea what is around them.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
What kinds of things did you see when time jumps or dimensions cross?
|

replied March 16th, 2009
There is no way to hide schizophrenia. You want to know what they believe so I will tell you, but mine is real and not a delusion because I see it, hear it, and feel it. I know it has to be real. I know the difference between reality and fantasy. What is going on with me right now sounds bizarre but its not. I see government agents everywhere I go and they cloak right in front of my eyes. They are after me because I destroyed the economy. Its my fault because I had dreams about it and wrote it down. The gov agents put a bomb in my neck that is so powerful, that it can wipe out an entire country and start world war 3. They implanted a chip in my brain, snake machines in my head that I feel all the time, and nanobots in the rest of my body. They are trying to make me a robot with technology that is 200 years ahead of our time. There are laser satellites that fired at me and missed by one inch! I would have died if it hit me. Another time the gov agents were firing laser guns at me, their aim is horrible! I am still alive....I think. I have thought broadcasting and thought insertion. The aliens are also after me, they call me the "Chosen One" to fight among them in an intergalactic war between 2 alien forces. I think its the bad guys who want me. They also plan to invade Earth and abduct the other people that they have chosen to fight in their war. It not just me. There's more to the story but I don't want it to be too long.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
well it depends on the person.
i'm schizophrenic, so i can help you out. not all of us are in a different reality of our own. the people that are so far gone, is a good thing in a way it is the mind helping them out because they don't understand or can't handle reality, so they change it without knowing. it is kind of a good think that is bad at the same like. When it get bad is when the people know about it and have all the problems, but are still in touch with reality. (almost emotionless like mass murders and so on)

not saying all are that way or will be or can be. the laws you live by in your day to day world we don't understand.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
IMO it's pretty easy to get the diagnosis and anyone can fake it! On the one hand I don't mind there hardly being any accurate tests- on the other hand it would be nice to know what is really goin' on inside--of course no one would tell you if you were the crazy one.

People CAN experience ANYTHING. Stop calling us 'schizophrenics' I don't call a cancer patient cancer.

|

replied December 3rd, 2011
I am researching schizophrenia because my 15 year old has started hearing things that sound like whispers and has seen one frightening image. He has had an evaluation from a psycologist and we are waiting to hear back from him.
From research I've been reading, differences can be seen between the brain of a person with schizophrenia and the brain of someone without. The difference is a thinning of the gray matter that surrounds it in the person with schizophrenia. It described it better in a video called The Secret Life of the Brain: The Teenage Brain.
|

replied December 3rd, 2011
I am researching schizophrenia because my 15 year old has started hearing things that sound like whispers and has seen one frightening image. He has had an evaluation from a psycologist and we are waiting to hear back from him.
From research I've been reading, differences can be seen between the brain of a person with schizophrenia and the brain of someone without. The difference is a thinning of the gray matter that surrounds it in the person with schizophrenia. It described it better in a video called The Secret Life of the Brain: The Teenage Brain.
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2009
First of all, you are only ASSUMING that so called "Schizophrenic" people are actually experiencing hallucinations!

Put a primitive monkey in front of a mirror. Now place a chimpanzee in front of another mirror. The primitive monkey sees another monkey, and is fascinated at how this "other" monkey moves when he moves, and at how the "other" monkey disappears completely whenever he looks behind the mirror. The chimpanzee on the other hand, sees an image of himself and is fascinated at seeing his lips, teeth, mouth, facial hair, etc., and suddenly understands why the female chimps are always after him, now that he can see just how incredibly handsome a chimp he truly is.

If the primitive monkey could speak, he would be saying that obviously the chimp is experiencing hallucinations due to the chimp being in a delusional state of mind. The crazy chimp is claiming to be seeing some crazy thing called the "self" in the mirror, while at the same time it is bloody obvious to everyone else that the chimp is truly just looking at another chimp, and that is all.

Now picture chimps and how they view Human beings.

Since the human beings are more advanced than the chimpanzees, the humans can see things and understand things that the chimps can not. Therefore with this being the case, the chimps would be chatting about the fact that the humans were experiencing hallucinations due to the humans being in a delusional state of mind, which was why the humans were constantly talking about things that did not really exist, things that just weren't really there at all, and the proof of this was overwelming because ALL of the chimps certainly couldn't see what these crazy humans were claiming to be seeing.

Thus if 1% of the human population was a tad ahead of the rest, the rest of the population would classify these specific people as delusional people since they can see things that the rest of the population crearly can not.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
paranoid schizophrenia response
Very interesting analogy, but this example isn't exactly correct.

The primitive monkey, assuming it is healthy, still "sees" everything around it properly because of its functioning eyes. The reason why it doesn't recognize itself in a mirror and isn't consciously aware, so far as we know, is because it isn't neurologically developed enough.

With schizophrenics on the other hand, they claim to see and hear things that are physically not there. This is completely different. Not only do normally functioning human beings not experience these stimuli, but objective data recording devices such as cameras and microphones also do not pick up on them.

So primitive monkeys can see more advanced humans just like the chimpanzees can, however we assume they can't tell or have no idea that we are more advanced. The primitive monkey can still physically touch and interact with humans regardless of its perception of the human. Healthy humans cannot touch and interact with the hallucinations that schizophrenics experience.

Also, if the 1% of the population classified as schizophrenics were actually ahead of the rest, and we were all just classifying them as delusional, then they should be at the tops of society in intellectual ability and other areas. Chimpanzees actually ARE more intelligent than primitive monkeys.

See the difference?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2010
fake schizophrenia
well my drug addled brother (who's insane by the way) he's defiinally suffering from schizophrenia when he's not doing his drugs he's "normal" but when he get's his drugs he just becomes a monster (and no i'm not exagerating) he starts screming about the voices in his head how everyone's out to get him but it's true he's just insane and he honestly just belongs in jail away from the outside world. but here's the problem he's getting a medical stipend about $800.00 a month from the (us) federal government is there anyway to report him for lieing about this and finally having this dumb lieing junkie removed and placed back here he trully belongs in prison i'm sorry if this ofends anyone but he'd made our lives hell for the last few years he's been in and out of prison for the last 15 years and he usually doesn't last long on the outside usually at the short end 6 months at the long end a year and a half and this is aproaching the end he's already been arested for public use of drugs counterfeting monney, and other things is there a way to confedentily report him for that i wonder?
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
My insomnia, a month's worth, came from sheer anxiety and terror. And being awoke by something when I did fall asleep, they would also shake the bed.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
i have had schizophrenia since i was 13. im only 14 now but im just telling you i got it really young. I have so many schizophrenic thoughts i was want to kill myself.
1. (main) i think i'm on csmeras
2. i think people can read my mind
3. I think animals can talk to me
4. I think all my (frends?) are talking about me
5. everytime i leave the room i think people are talking abnut me
6. think people can hear me through my window, air vent, and upstairs
7. think my own SISTER is talking bad about me
I found out a long time ago that there's no reason in trying to hide your schizophrenic thoughts or actions. Everyone with schiz knows that its way too hard to do that amyway and if you look closely, were all the same. We all believe that our thoughts are real and that no one can prove us wrong, im the same way. The point is there's something about us that God chose and looked into. were special in a way that i still cant put my finger on. the thing is im proud having schiz and i like being the way i am.

And about that person faking schiz. No. Straight up no. It's immpossivle to fake having schiz but the thing is, only the people with schiz can see when someones faking it. Like i said, there's something about us. Tell me something, has anyone ever been able to FEEL when somethings going wrong? Not see something but feel it in your heart that somethings wrong? I do. I dont know about other people but i feel that stuff. I can feel it in the air, in their voice, in their eyes, that my friends are talking bad about me. I have multiple occurences where i found out the truth. Same with the cameras. I believe all schizophrenic people have paranoia especially the schizophrenics who got it from drug abuse. Because they dont want to quit drugs and that makes their schizophrenia worse, but also makes them more paranoid. Hope i helped
|
Users who thank schizophrenicphysco for this post: ddd78 

replied April 16th, 2011
Oh my god, You just perfectly described my life dead on, I too am 14, I believe i developed schizophrenia because of smoking too much weed since i was 12. It is just recently getting out of hand, I have all the exact same symptoms as you. thank you for posting on here, i never knew anyone else felt like i do
|

replied March 15th, 2010
might i be schizo. and comment to schizophrenicphysco
sort of to schizophrenicphysco
i don't know if i'm schizophrenic, but i do know somethings going on up in my head. my mental state got completely shaken after starting to smoke pot everyday. i just started noticing more things, more things started to bother me, i started thinking way to deeply into things and then eventually everything went crazy. i don't exactly try to hide it, but my internal world is very different to how people would believe. i stopped smoking all the time, just every now and again. but now when i do it i notice i get thrown into that world of paranoia and over analysis. i remember when i was younger about 13 (i'm 19), i used to sit on the bus to school and look around and joke inside to myself about whether people were reading my thoughts. i always feel people are looking at me, or talking about me and plotting against me. usually aggravated by marijuana. i do get paranoia but it isn't very bad i find and doesn't really affect my overall daily function. i'm more occupied now with emotional problems that i only seemed to notice after changing like this. this usually consists of thinking very deeply into my life and past and analyzing and ruminating about every single little thing, kind of like psychoanalyzing myself. the second thing i think most about is philosophy and the meaning of life and whether there's a higher power and whether his life is meaning less. these thoughts are extremely metaphysical/metaphorical and get to a point where i'm not sure whether it's healthy to think about. i think about these "powers" (again metaphorical, not actually fully thinking they are really and in effect). these powers or forces generally equate to a god/devil like energies and powers that is embedded in all aspects of nature & esp. in the human psyche. again more metaphysical/philosophical type "powers" that explain why certain things are the way they are. I feel sometimes life is just a big mental game made by some bored higher power. when i think about my emotional/life problems these other thoughts also incorporate into it. everything in my brains is all very mixed up and connected. i seem to find connections in everything. and i'm always trying to break things down and yeh generally over analysis.
but like schizophrenicphysco said i always have that feeling that something is wrong before for something evident actually happens. i've had it most of my life. i even sometimes wake up and think a friends name and then they'll call me a moment later (very short moment). but yeh i do sometimes think people are out to get me. but it's usually ppl closest to me. i don't ever have delusions or paranoia about things like the government or aliens or things like that. mo i've always know i was different. and have always been even better than completely hiding and isolating my inner self that i know when i'm alone from the other self i project to others. but slowly after i noticed my changed it was harder to hide. i sort of accepted that i thought much differently to others and quite confidently allow others to see that i think differently. usually in a humorous way. my closest friends do know that i'm different and do think very "strangely" to them.
but yeh i never been to psychiatrist or anything but i was wondering whether you guys think i'm schizophrenic or anything and whether i should seek help?
|

replied March 15th, 2010
It is possible to live with Schizophrenia without being diagnosed. If a person realises that their feelings are strange and unusual and that their perceptions are also strange then that person can usually use commom sense. The problem arises when the person completely buyes into what is happening and then starts to 'explain' what is happenining to them. When you loose touch with what is possible in todays world you can never define reality
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
I walk over town yelling to myself, however, It only looks like that to other people, I don't know why, but when they show up in your mind and you know alot you seem like a total crazy i diot to other people.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply