Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Can You Believe It?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Steve's mom and dad are cake makers/decorators.

his mom makes the cakes and his dad decorates them by hand - amazing to see this bloke sat making tiny beatuiful sugar flowers and such.

well, we asked them to make a cake for my nan and granddad's wedding anniversary.
The anniversary is tommorow.
We asked them 4-5 weeks ago.
Steve called up last night to ask if we can pick up the cake tonight....

They haven't made it! Shocked

I knew this was going to happen.
I mean I trust his mom and dad, but they are in the process of moving house.
I even asked them outright "are you going to be able to do this with the move and everything?"

yes, yes of course.

They forgot.

soooooooo..............
I *can* make cakes but they aren't "flat" they normally rise in the middle.

so later today (7.30am now) we're going to hobbycraft to get a cake tin set, pre-made flowers, and other bits, and *I* am now making the cake.

A 3 tier cake (mock wedding cake) in just over 24 hours Laughing this is going to be fun and so not what I needed to happen grrrrrr.

In fact, we wanted the small tier to be fruit cake (because some like fruit cake, but most prefer sponge) and fruit cake needs time to mature so we might just go buy a small fruit cake for the top layer.

Wish me/us luck 'cuz we're going to need every last bit we can get to pull this off now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
To make the flat tops on the cake put the layers in the fridge and allow them to get a little stiff (will soften up when warmed to room temp.). After awhile take them out and use a long bread knife to cut and even out the tops. .if it is not perfect you can always use icing to even it out after the cutting.

.i hope everything works out for their anniversary! .sorry they forgot about the cake but .i am sure you will do a great job.
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Good luck .Kia!!! I can make a delicious cake, but it isn't pretty at all. I'm sure your cake will be lovely.
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2007
Supporter
Good luck! I love cooking so if i could come and help you i would but i can't guarentee how much mix would actually end up in the tins Laughing
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Oh that stinks!
I wish I were over there .kia, I *love* baking and decorating. That's what I did at my previous job!
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'm glad you guys called last night to check. Otherwise, this could have turned out much worse.

My mil was the executive pastry chef at .disney. Needless to say, she did our cake. I helped (well, i sat in a xanax stuper while she worked. But I licked the bowls!) I think the most important thing is to let the cake come to room temperature before you put any frosting or decorations on it. Other than that, its pretty much like making a large regular cake. As long as it tastes good, the rest isn't as improtant.

Good luck. Take pictures of it when your done.
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Experienced User
iridescent_opal wrote:
To make the flat tops on the cake put the layers in the fridge and allow them to get a little stiff (will soften up when warmed to room temp.). After awhile take them out and use a long bread knife to cut and even out the tops. .if it is not perfect you can always use icing to even it out after the cutting.

.i hope everything works out for their anniversary! .sorry they forgot about the cake but .i am sure you will do a great job.

Use fishing line to cut the top of the cake. My mother has been making wedding cakes and big cakes and stuff and she always uses fishing line (of course that has not been fished with eww fishy cakes) to take the top off if it is not perfect.
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
.i have heard of using fishing line too. .whatever works as long as you can cut to make it even. .trying to stack cakes with the bubble top always makes mine look like it is leaning funky Sad .

.i hope everything is working out for you .kia!
|