Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

White Hair On Tongue!?

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Recently, I have been going down on my girlfriend who has had no (and I mean no) previous sexual experience, and doesn't have any infections/disease to my knowledge..

However, I have noticed a white "covering" on my tongue lately, that could be attributed to a couple of things: sexual encounters, the fact that I have been having bad allergy/congestion problems, and I burnt the crap out of my tongue on some food the other day..

Here is a picture of my tongue: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/922/ton guehu5.jpg

Do you think I have any sort of disease, or something bad? By the way, I don't know why there is like a huge chunk of my tongue "missing" on the left side there.. I noticed it after I ate VERY hot food (as in like out of the oven hot).

THANKS
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2007
Supporter
to me that is a photo of a completely normal, healthy tongue. am i missing something? the 'hairs' you describe are normal. i have them. everyone has them. they are not hairs, they are tastebuds, it is just the way the surface of your tongue is. they increase the surface area of your tongue so you can taste.
|

replied June 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, your tongue looks normal. Sometimes it can look white or fuzzy if you eat something greasy or don't get to brush. Brushing your tongue can help. It tickles though!
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, just brush your tongue when you brush your teeth. Perfectly normal.
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2007
Advanced Support Team
I've had some funky stuff go on with my tongue before. For some odd reason it sweels up and gets really sore every now and then. Docs can find no reason. But my tongue did look like yours once after I burned i and it got infected. I am sure its probably because of the burn. That takes awhile to heal and get back to normal. But it really dosen't look all that bad in the picture either.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
Hairy Tongue
What happens is these hair-like papillae grow on your tongue (100% normal) and usually they shed when you eat rough food and brush your tongue at a short length. However, some are genetically inclined to shed at longer lengths so they look more hair-like than what you see on another person's tongue. These little fibrile papillae are normal physiology, just be careful--smoking and other staining foods can change their colors, like smokers get a black hairy tongue from tobacco staining these otherwise-white papillae. Patches are normal too, just excessive damage to the papillae has caused that.
|